Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 47 Ronin movie and .... Spider.....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:01 pm 
<< Your Title Here >> <<< Ask Me How >>>

Semi spoilers.....

Pretty sure I saw a Foxwife who was also a Maho Tsukai.... and some incredibly Spidery assassination moves.....

Wow. Way better than I expected.

Post subject: Re: 47 Ronin movie and .... Spider.....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:48 pm 
Br'nn
 WWW  Profile

This surprises me considering how massacred it is getting pretty much across the board (last I checked it was at 15% on Rotten Tomatoes). I really wanted it to be good but as soon as I saw Keanu Reeves was in it, I knew it was in trouble. I'll wait until its on a movie channel or something.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:25 pm 
Bad Poster

Shahai Kirisu wrote:
This surprises me considering how massacred it is getting pretty much across the board (last I checked it was at 15% on Rotten Tomatoes). I really wanted it to be good but as soon as I saw Keanu Reeves was in it, I knew it was in trouble. I'll wait until its on a movie channel or something.

They'd been putting it off for a while and I'm honestly surprised they didn't just release it during the post-Oscar season hangover in January.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:33 pm 

You need to have the correct expectations going in. Is it the classic story? Well, no because they added magic. It is Tom Cruse all over again? Well, no... they actually treat him just about how you would expect, and explain why he is there pretty well. Gorgeous scenery, amazing costumes, incredible effects. Yeah, the academy and most critics will hate it. But they hated Star Wars and Starship Troopers.....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:21 am 
Sexy Beast
 YIM  Profile

I find the trailer pretty interesting. Too bad they won't show it here until mid January. We have this MMFF (Metro Manila Film Festival) thing going on which happens during December where all our cinemas will show nothing but local movies. Most are bad, but some good ones show up every now and then.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:01 am 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

i3ullseye wrote:
Is it the classic story? Well, no because they added magic.

One wonders, then, why they bothered using the title at all.

Because in addition to adding magic, they clearly took out the bit where the ronin live as vagabonds for years planning their revenge. And added Keanu Reeves.

Quote:
It is Tom Cruse all over again? Well, no... they actually treat him just about how you would expect, and explain why he is there pretty well.

They still have an anglo presented in the trailer as someone whose unique skills of samurai badassery they cannot succeed without.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:20 am 
Bad Poster

I'm not skeptical about the movie because of my man Keanu Reeves – even though his role in the film is reminiscent of a White Savior (boo colonialism! boo!) – but because looking at the critics' reasoning it sounds exactly like every post-holiday, big budget, high fantasy flop that has come before it. Fuel needed elsewhere spent on exposition and world-building, because most people will go into the theater without any prior context necessary to knowing what the hell is going on, which bloats the film and makes it clunky even with enough time to tell an adequate story. If you like the movie, that's cool and you are absolutely not wrong to be a fan if it clicks with you. I inexplicably like Ralph Bakshi's Cool World. It's just that nothing has really sold me on the prospect of paying money to see 47 Ronin.

Then again, I live in a neoliberal world with a commercialized culture and democratized film criticism and I could unknowingly be just one more link in an endless chain of people regurgitating an increasingly debased imitation of something that used to be called an opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:10 am 

They do live as vagabonds for a year...... there is a long history of retelling this story in various ways in Japan, and some of Japans most prominent actors jumped on board to be part of this. It was way more faithful to the original narrative than I expected.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:11 am 
Trustworthy Adviser

I saw the hell out of it. Yes, Keanu is in it. No, it's not awful, because Keanu isn't really trying to have emotions that he doesn't. Keanu Listful works in almost every scene he's in, so he's not a weak link.

Also, the scenery and armor detail was stunning. If you want to show someone what L5R looks like, you show them this film.

My friends will be "getting" a home copy ASAP so we can have a drinking game where we drink when we think people are losing honor points. If you're the kind of person that reads a bad review and changes their mind about a movie, probably not for you. But wow, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:35 pm 
Br'nn
 WWW  Profile

I didn't mind Tom Cruise in The Last Samurai. Sure, it had its issues, but the story wasn't too bad. I'm not a big fan, but I can admit that he's also a far better actor than Keanu Reeves.

Had there been one bad review among a whole bunch of good to middling, I wouldn't be so worried, but I was already leery about Keanu and then you have pretty much every critic massacring it, including ones that have liked genre movies I've enjoyed, so its not like a single review is scaring me away. Even the positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, where it has an 11% rating from critics and only 66% from audiences, are the kind that say "it never reaches its potential" or "nice to look at but little beneath the surface". Not exactly glowing.

I will definitely be waiting until its on a movie channel and even then, I might just end up passing on it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:27 pm 

Not seeing it on a big screen in 3D would be a mistake IMO.

We are the target audience however. Magical samurai? That is not a mainstream genre. I am not surprised people don't like it.... there is no happy ending. Not really. Check historically how many movies with less than happy endings get good reviews by the general populace. People want explosions and sappy endings with their popcorn usually.

/shrug.....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:00 pm 
You don't expect anything, then...BOOM! NINJAS!

I wouldn't mind checking out the movie.

Everyone told me I have to see Pacific Rim cuz it was so good... And then I was totally let down as the movie sucked ass. But it's like you say: "People want explosions" and shit. :roll:

EDIT: Come to think of it, this pretty much summed up my feelings on Pacific Rim:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V10KeJgjgCw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:06 pm 
The Shadow Khan

Sparks wrote:

Everyone told me I have to see Pacific Rim cuz it was so good... And then I was totally let down as the movie sucked ass. But it's like you say: "People want explosions" and shit. :roll:

EDIT: Come to think of it, this pretty much summed up my feelings on Pacific Rim:

The author of the video is actually a huge fan of the film. (Check out the "conversations with myself" series on the same channel)

Cinema sins is a self declared tongue in cheek series that nitpicks pretty much all the top films for funsies. Cause there normally isn't much fun pointing out all the mistakes in an obviously bad film.

Unless its twilight, kicking that dead horse never gets old.

Also for anyone who couldn't find anything to like about Pacific Rim; either the little kid inside you who would find joy with watching giant robots and monsters fight is dead; or your a Hipster who just likes to be contrary to everyone else.

Either way, I mourn for you brother :sad:

Sent from my U8860 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:49 pm 
You don't expect anything, then...BOOM! NINJAS!

All I'm saying is is that I didn't like Pacific Rim in spite of all the GREAT reviews it got. And I might enjoy 47 Ronin even though it got crappy reviews. Pacific Rim could have been a way better movie had they actually thought about the movie instead of just throwing Robots vs Monsters at the screen and try and make it stick. The fact that the author of that particular youtube video actually liked the movie doesn't mean anything when all the points that were made are valid. There were also a lot more points about the movie that I didn't like but whatever. The only reason I even finished watching the entire movie was because my son seemed to enjoy it...

I choose to watch movies based on if I think the movie would be entertaining. 47 Ronin seems like it would be entertaining. Pacific Rim did as well and I didn't like it. I may not like 47 Ronin either, but I will at least give it a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:37 pm 
The Shadow Khan

Point Taken. We can't impose our views on others and make them "Like" something.

That would be...EVIL; "MWAHAHAHA!". Although I would also like to state that just because something is "True" does not make it "Valid" in the context of an debate.

You should check out the rest of the videos where the guys roasts other Great Films like "The Dark knight Returns", "Inception", "Avatar" and the "Lord of the Rings" series. Pretty entertaining especially when he makes fun of his own youtube channel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvkZ8sCd5EI

To paraphrase Cinema Sins; NO movie no matter how great or awesome is without sin.

47 Ronin was very "meh" though. Watchable but I wouldn't say worth the movie ticket price. You might want to wait for the download or something. Which was sad because I was really looking forward to the film with Rinko Kikuichi as a sexy foxy witch ;)

Also half the characters on the posters appear for less than 5 mins and pretty much do nothing in the film.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:52 am 

I personally loved Pacific Rim, but that was the geek child in me. Also.... why was this moved? The original topic was Spider themes in the movie, so not sure why this is deemed off topic.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:10 am 
Bad Poster

Sparks wrote:

My main beef with Pacific Rim was the fascist subtext, but the movie was still a lot of fun for me. I mostly chalk that up to Guillermo del Toro's infectious enthusiasm for the subject and the fact that it doesn't take itself seriously at all.

Also Ron Perlman's character.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:50 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

Nitpicking Pacific Rim for plot holes/bad science is like nitpicking Ghostbusters. Its not supposed to be a serious movie with a well thought out heavy plot. Its just a fun sci-fi action/comedy. It embraces the weirdness and fun that is giant robots and anime brings to to life with top notch production values. As the only original* blockbuster of the summer it certainly deserves the credit it was given. Hopefully its international success will be enough to warrant more like it despite mediocre performance state side.

*Not a sequel or reboot

47 Ronin looks good visually but I doubt I'd pay full price for what looks to be essentially 2 hour video game cut scene, when I still haven't seen the Hobbit or the Wolf of Wall street yet. Heh now trying to mine that last one for Spider Clan plots could be fun...