Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Empire among the Obsidian Stars
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:24 pm 
Mirthful Mithril. Mercurial Ouroboros. Magnum Opus Two Fifths Complete.

Salutations. I figured I'd throw this on here, both to help keep the site thriving, as well as to generate ideas as the setting is still being fleshed out. So, a while back I ran an L5R game for my IRL group. It consisted of both people who commonly play the card game and those who have only seen it played in passing. Anyways, that game reached its end, with all the players agreeing it was a very good time. Fast forwards to a few months ago, when another game ended so we needed something else to play. I had gotten a copy of Imperial Histories 2 around when it came out, and had some ideas for running the Empire among the Emerald Stars setting, so I offered it to the group, which got a lot of interest. Recently the game has been put on hiatus, as another member of the group got a D&D module he wishes to run, and he may likely be moving, so we went ahead and paused the L5R game to let him run his. Anyways, this has been giving me some time to prep, so I don't mind.

The setting is basically as is described in the book, with a few additions. The only major one I can think of off the top of my head is how the shadowlands taint is being handled. Basically, each clan is free to rule how they wish in their own territories. Every clan other than the Crab has some level of allowing those tainted to be among them.

The Crane basically treat it kinda like smoking, with sections where it is allowed and sections where it is not, and any individuals who wish to pay more for the pure sections of their resorts and parks are free to do so.

The Dragon are weary of it, requiring Jade Petal Tea [which is a lot easier to get ones hands on in the expanse of space] to enter certain particularly religious locations, but other than that as long as the individual behaves they may go anywhere else.

The Lion require Jade Petal Tea for any tainted in their territories.

Mantis are on the other end of the spectrum, as save for their shugenja families have embraced the taint fairly well, and as such the tainted are free to go anywhere among them save for the temples of the Moshi and Kitsune, with JPT allowing access to Moshi temples but not Kitsune.

Pheonix are an interesting case, as they have had a new faction sprout up, the self proclaimed "true heirs" Isawa, who practice Maho freely [in fact one has recently achieved a seat on the elemental council, although it is cause for much controversy both in and out of the clan]. As such, while tainted are free to walk freely, they are expected to be accompanied by at least one equally skilled inquisitor to monitor them, and if without their keeper they will be presumed guilty and jade striked into oblivion.

Scorpion are another interesting case. On the one hand, they utterly detest the taint and any who would use it, while on the other hand they like that it allows them great power and ability to scare their foes. The official rule is tainted may come and go as they please, with heavy security [expect at least 3 ninjas devoted to you, in addition to the armed guard]. And while official party line is don't taint yourself, a few "rogue" elements who do so are certainly useful, especially as it would help show that it was a mistake to allow the Spider to have come so far.

Speaking of, the Spider are completely fine with it. What else would you expect? No restrictions, although the Sohei aren't always a big fan of it, the Gyushi prefer to remain pure for spiritual reasons, and the Susumu prefer to remain pure for political reasons.

Finally, the Unicorn just require the tainted to accept that they will be watched, and at the first sign of trouble they will be put down. While the Unicorn are still friends of the Spider, they remember the ride of the Dark Moto too well in their ancient histories to allow anything less.

Oh, and the imperials only control one planet, Rokugan, the home world, and there no shadowlands taint is allowed without JPT.

So ya, that is the biggest change. If people are interested, I'll do a recap of what has happened so far, as well as each game when it resumes. So, thoughts? Ideas?

Post subject: Re: Empire among the Obsidian Stars
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:19 pm 
Crane Envoy to The Spider

The Crab no longer have a Damned unit anymore?

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:03 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

kakita_shiro wrote:
The Crab no longer have a Damned unit anymore?

One could argue that until the deal was formally reneged upon, the Damned were on their way out anyway...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:43 pm 
Mirthful Mithril. Mercurial Ouroboros. Magnum Opus Two Fifths Complete.

Well, actually in this game the deal was held up by all parties. Which is why the Crab don't have any Damned units. It has been generations sense anyone could be tainted against their consent, so they just haven't needed it. The closest would be that they do have a unit filled with various critters, both intellegent and not, that they've collected throught the galexy, but any crab found with the taint is expected to seppuku or gtfo.