Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A change in direction
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:53 am 
Cultist

I've been reading other peoples ideas of different ways the setting could be tweaked and I decided that I'd add mine, hopefully you like and I hope I've eliminated any problems it might cause when adding the change to any time line in the games rich history.

also it's kinda long so fair warning as a wall of text is incoming:

In this setting as expanded from the idea set forth in the L5R RPG book Imperial Histories 2 in the section of The Reign of the Shining Prince, the black scolls instead of Banishing Fu Leng strip the touch of Jigoku from his soul, and he apologizes to his brother and is pardoned to go and create his own clan (The Spider).

Naturally this would change the setting a whole lot, considering that if that happened he would have saved the rest of the Thunders from the First Oni and all the other Tainted Freaks he previously had in his command, Isawa whould have lived healed by Fu Leng by way of apology, Hida Atarasi whould not have had to stay behind and hence whould not have become the first Akutenshi, Shosuro whould not have had to accept the Lying Darkness to escape, and Shiba whould not have died to protect them from the First Oni.

Usually this whould cause a hell of a problem but i think i've found a way around it.

Isawa and Shiba both are killed attempting to finish the Last Wish, solving both problems of a finished Last wish earlier then in Canon, and the issue with the Soul of Shiba.

Hida Atarasi can be killed during the the war against the Shadowlands to seal the Pit, and Hida can give his life to seal it creating Amatersaru's Furnace in the process.

While Shosoru whould not have made the deal with the Nothing and created the persona of Soshi and started the Scorpion's long history with the Lying Darkness and the creation of the Goju, all you do is give Bayushi Ubane(Bayushi and we'll asume Shosuro's child considering the mother is never mentioned and they were lovers till she ran off to Togashi) a Twin name him Soshi and have the Lying Darkness make a deal with him , you can have Shosuro find out and take the Nothing's price and still leave to the mountains of the Dragon to Togashi for help.

Now the problem occurs that the Shadowlands is destroyed and no longer a threat, but that is easily remedied with the inclusion of the Bloodspeakers and independant Maho-Tsukai causing problems through the years, and while the Crab have no reason to create the Wall and esentially their prurporse is gone, it simply makes including them much easier considering that interclan warfare and cooperation much more prevelent, and should not incour any Mechanical change considering that Jigoku still has pawns to work through and the Crab are always ready to fight the darkness.

Infact the Second day of Thunder the True enemy could be The First Bloodspeaker taking over the Child Haneti after the Scorpion Clan coup, and Hida Kisada could simply ally with the other Bloodspeakers and History could continue to take the course set out in canon with only a few small changes.

Naturally the Canon Daigotsu cannot be alowed to be born as Fu Leng would have taken that name to disassociate himself from the atrocities of he caused, but Shourido can still be created and be prevelant in the Empire used pimarily by the Spider to undermine their ememies amogst the clans.

Toturi can still be consumed by the Lying darkness and then murdered by the Onisu to make way for the Four Winds and Tsudao being killed, simply take out any refrence to Daigotsu and replace him with a empowered Jama Suru(considering that even after his defeat a new Jama Suru always pops backup its not that hard to do).

I could go on but I imagine that you get the point, but what about the connection between the Spider and the Taint, all things considered with their fanatical worship of the Ninth Kami the Taint is not nessicary in this version of the setting, all things considered it feels unnecessary, the fact that in canon it was Daigotsu's reverence fo Fu Leng that kept him going even when he wasnt Tainted, Simply ignore the Mechanics and replace the connection with Shourido and bam problem solved.

Naturally this may not appeal to everybody but in all honesty for me personally it fixes any feelings that the Spider are unnecessary or weirdly placed in the Canon setting, as for inclusion to what should have been Onyx simply have Iweko II go insane (that prolonged exposure to P'an Ku works well) and you see enough reason for the Spider take over without alienating (or absolutely alienating depending on your personal choice) the other clans.

I hope you've enjoyed this bit of creative Insanity.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: A change in direction
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:51 am 
Dark Rhetoric

this is bonkers i love it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:56 am 
Black Guard

I'm a big fan of alternate setting, and this is a very good idea.

However, I disagree about how to deal with Isawas and the others. Instead of killing them to reconcile this twist with the current storyline, why not trying to imagine Rokugan and the clans if they survived.

You have a few potential survivors: Shosuro, Isawa, Shiba Hida Atarasi and Doji Konishiko (rumors were she was only captured and sired the first Dark Daughter of Fu Leng).

Without the necessity to accept Nothing's blessing, Shosuro would never become Soshi and form the third family of the Scorpion. This lead to the fact the Yogo would end up being the prominent Scorpion's shugenja. Increasing the importance of this family devoted to the understanding of curses and the creation of wards would shape a much more different clan. I can see the scorpion with a greater focus on magistrates and unveiling mysteries.

Isawa and Shiba alive would mean the leadership of the Phoenix would be quite different. Maybe something much more similar to the other clans, but with the Isawas in charge. The wish, as you said, would be finished much sooner. The presence of an immortal nemuranai with reality warping powers would make the Phoenix clan a force to be reckoned with. The fact that Isawa mastered a form a blood magic that wasn't reliant on the taint (added to the fact that Fu Leng is pure) would create a much different magical heritage...

I'm still thinking about what to do with the Crab and Crane. I'll post again when I'll have more

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:24 pm 
Cultist

The only reason I figured that the Thunders should end up dying was that I wanted to have a story line that doesn't deviate too much from Canon so that that it would mostly fit seemly into any timeline.

In all honesty I was just trying to justify playing a Spider in any Timeline without having to be pretending to be a Ronin and getting killed for it so that I don't alienate the other people I was playing with.