Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Winter Court IV - Iuchi Chiwa - Ask Me Anything
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:05 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

First the chibis, and now the Lion's... no, Spider's share of the AMAs? It seems that this is the place to be this season.

I puppeteered the depressed little jewellery box, Iuchi Chiwa, was one of the Unicorn delegation's chief wordsmiths for the season, and wrote a thing on the Progressive and Traditionalist ideologies.

I am happy to field any questions you may have.

Last edited by Daidoji Molo on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Winter Court IV - Iuchi Chiwa - Ask Me Anything
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:32 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

Lion's share would be an empty hole, full of sadness and shame.

So, no, take the Spider's share and you'll be better off.

Howdy!

So ... Chikuma was thinking that your jewel-magic was what the people after Hida Kozan were using, and how they got past the assorted wards.

Guilty? HMMmmm?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:46 am 
Daigotsu's Legion

Well, the My Little Pony; Friendship is Magic faction are on good terms with the Lion and Spider. So we can help ourselves to shares from both of you? :)

Chikuma called Chiwa for an interview about the features of meishodo. And I believe all of Chiwa's explanations basically said: Yes, meishodo could absolutely be the possible culprit. It bypasses standard wards, can be activated by even the lowliest of mooks, and is easily disguisable as jewellery. And OOC, the RPG resources tell us that meishodo was a Qolat plot. So it could well have been meishodo that did it. I don't know myself.

I did enjoy my "reveal" that Chiwa was a Kolat. But she isn't one. Most definitely, emphatically isn't. Chiwa hadn't the faintest idea why her sensei was suddenly interested in her school's traditions after Leiko told her that no Kitsu would want meishodo training.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:54 am 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

*kicks rock* Stupid meishodo training... not like we've wanted it for literal centuries or anything...

So, Chiwa, a little bundle of nerves and misery...

Was it fun driving the Phoenix players up the wall every time you and Kyokuta were in the same place at the same time? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:22 am 
Black Guard

I think Chikuma dropped that line of questioning because you explained that the amulet in question would still have to be in the possession of the person using it, whereas the items being used to penetrate e.g. the wards on the Crab embassy were sitting there by themselves with no-one in the vicinity.

-

So, I recall you mentioning once that you had several potential character arcs sketched out from a fairly early point. What were some of the ones you didn't use?

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:58 am 
Daigotsu's Legion

Shiba Gunichi wrote:
*kicks rock* Stupid meishodo training... not like we've wanted it for literal centuries or anything...

Going into this, I knew nothing about meishodo or the Phoenix's heavy chomping at the bit to learn it. So the majority of my posts were spun up from the Wiki and the rules snippets from my character sheet. As for the Phoenix, the Wiki told me that the Phoenix considered it disrespectful to the Kami, while the 4e Core Rulebook told me that the Unicorn would be happy to share their knowledge if only the Phoenix would treat them as equals on the matter.

Having said that, Chiwa did make an unofficial offer to train Shiba Mako's daughter in meishodo, rather than her training in ice magic. So who knows?

Shiba Gunichi wrote:
So, Chiwa, a little bundle of nerves and misery...

Was it fun driving the Phoenix players up the wall every time you and Kyokuta were in the same place at the same time? :lol:

I won't lie. It was one of my guilty pleasures at court. Though I did flick some PMs about assuring you that I wasn't going to jeopardise all of Maemuki's hard work. Did anyone other that Taisho, Maemuki, and Izuna know about their spat over at the Phoenix?

Daidoji Tacticus wrote:
I think Chikuma dropped that line of questioning because you explained that the amulet in question would still have to be in the possession of the person using it, whereas the items being used to penetrate e.g. the wards on the Crab embassy were sitting there by themselves with no-one in the vicinity.

Possibly. I believe Chiwa had explained it needed to be activated by a meishodo practitioner. But I don't remember if she had asked whether it would linger after activation. I wouldn't have a clue to be honest.

Daidoji Tacticus wrote:
So, I recall you mentioning once that you had several potential character arcs sketched out from a fairly early point. What were some of the ones you didn't use?

There was only ever going to be the one metaplot, where Chiwa would go through heavy depression, then utter despair, before getting better. Around this, there was plenty of flexibility as to who would join the ride. My only criteria were that they had to have a tie with Chiwa's sister, Chihasa; that they all eventually lead to calamity before recovery; and that they all had to take a different tact from each other. So the four I ended up with:

Souran - Lovers: Neither of us had intended a romance to begin with. My original plan here was to have Souran be the one to tarnish Chiwa's memories of her sister. To have him be the one to point out that all of Chiwa's miseries are due to Chihasa. The eventual calamity with Souran was better than my wildest dreams.

Umeko - Best friends: One of the plans was to have Chiwa try to talk you out of the Phoenix hate, and that they would fall out for a time over it. You got off that paranoid prejudice train too early for this to play out.

Chikuma - Teacher/sensei: Didn't get to play this one out due to circumstances. I was going to have Chiwa fall out with Chikuma over matters of Progressive/Traditionalist. That or push Chikuma too hard for details about her past.

Kyokuta - Feuding rivals: I was planning for the pair to make peace in the end and eventually open diplomatic/research avenues. Then he did THE THING at court which I hadn't planned. The cigar scene we worked out together, though he lost faith halfway through and deviated from the plan. :x Kyokuta was supposed to just stay in he meido state while Chiwa had her nausea.

---

Other avenues set up but not followed due to a variety of reasons.

Daigotsu Kurogane - Shourido teacher, to clash with Chikuma's Bushido teaching.
Isawa Taisho - the teacher/student trope instead of Chikuma, but then she came along early in the game. You were added to the "every cloud has a silver lining" resolution (with Maemuki and Inuyama) for the spat with Kyokuta.
Gyushi Kageto - no immediate ideas what would have happened here, but I had set up the connection before the game.

There were plenty more possibilities I had entertained for all of the above.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:17 am 
Black Guard

Daidoji Molo wrote:
Shiba Gunichi wrote:

Going into this, I knew nothing about meishodo or the Phoenix's heavy chomping at the bit to learn it. So the majority of my posts were spun up from the Wiki and the rules snippets from my character sheet. As for the Phoenix, the Wiki told me that the Phoenix considered it disrespectful to the Kami, while the 4e Core Rulebook told me that the Unicorn would be happy to share their knowledge if only the Phoenix would treat them as equals on the matter.

Having said that, Chiwa did make an unofficial offer to train Shiba Mako's daughter in meishodo, rather than her training in ice magic. So who knows?

Heh. A friend of mine who's a huge Unicorn fan practically had an aneurysm when I mentioned that the Unicorn were teaching outsiders meishodo. Because according to older setting material, it damages the user's connection to the kami (hence why the Kolat luuuuurved it). What's that? The 4e material says nothing of the sort? Pfft, details!

Quote:
Daidoji Tacticus wrote:

Possibly. I believe Chiwa had explained it needed to be activated by a meishodo practitioner. But I don't remember if she had asked whether it would linger after activation. I wouldn't have a clue to be honest.

She did not ask that. I don't think the effects linger any more than a regular spell do. As far as I can tell, it's mechanically just like casting a spell from a scroll, except that you do it in one action without having to roll for it.

Quote:
Daidoji Tacticus wrote:

There was only ever going to be the one metaplot, where Chiwa would go through heavy depression, then utter despair, before getting better. Around this, there was plenty of flexibility as to who would join the ride. My only criteria were that they had to have a tie with Chiwa's sister, Chihasa; that they all eventually lead to calamity before recovery; and that they all had to take a different tact from each other. So the four I ended up with:

Souran - Lovers: Neither of us had intended a romance to begin with. My original plan here was to have Souran be the one to tarnish Chiwa's memories of her sister. To have him be the one to point out that all of Chiwa's miseries are due to Chihasa. The eventual calamity with Souran was better than my wildest dreams.

Umeko - Best friends: One of the plans was to have Chiwa try to talk you out of the Phoenix hate, and that they would fall out for a time over it. You got off that paranoid prejudice train too early for this to play out.

Chikuma - Teacher/sensei: Didn't get to play this one out due to circumstances. I was going to have Chiwa fall out with Chikuma over matters of Progressive/Traditionalist. That or push Chikuma too hard for details about her past.

Kyokuta - Feuding rivals: I was planning for the pair to make peace in the end and eventually open diplomatic/research avenues. Then he did THE THING at court which I hadn't planned. The cigar scene we worked out together, though he lost faith halfway through and deviated from the plan. :x Kyokuta was supposed to just stay in he meido state while Chiwa had her nausea.

---

Other avenues set up but not followed due to a variety of reasons.

Daigotsu Kurogane - Shourido teacher, to clash with Chikuma's Bushido teaching.
Isawa Taisho - the teacher/student trope instead of Chikuma, but then she came along early in the game. You were added to the "every cloud has a silver lining" resolution (with Maemuki and Inuyama) for the spat with Kyokuta.
Gyushi Kageto - no immediate ideas what would have happened here, but I had set up the connection before the game.

There were plenty more possibilities I had entertained for all of the above.

Interesting, thank you :) And yeah, I was never particularly committed to the paranoid prejudice thing, because it was so lacking in factual basis. I really had nothing I could possibly point to if someone challenged it. I didn't even have the status to go "Well, I believe it, sod off."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:29 am 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

Daidoji Molo wrote:
As for the Phoenix, the Wiki told me that the Phoenix considered it disrespectful to the Kami, while the 4e Core Rulebook told me that the Unicorn would be happy to share their knowledge if only the Phoenix would treat them as equals on the matter.

Treat them as equals... after this last plot-mandated mountain of idiocy, I think some friggin' grovelling would be involved...

Quote:
I won't lie. It was one of my guilty pleasures at court. Though I did flick some PMs about assuring you that I wasn't going to jeopardise all of Maemuki's hard work. Did anyone other that Taisho, Maemuki, and Izuna know about their spat over at the Phoenix?

Not that I'm aware of. Kyokuta was kind of sporadic- we didn't always have him around to fill us in on what he was doing.

Quote:

Considering how pro-Unicorn Taisho was (which is why Maemuki got the Unicorn negotiation gig. Silly Izuna- both were equally appalled at the Council's actions), that was deeply gratifying.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:51 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

Quote:
A friend of mine who's a huge Unicorn fan practically had an aneurysm when I mentioned that the Unicorn were teaching outsiders meishodo. Because according to older setting material, it damages the user's connection to the kami (hence why the Kolat luuuuurved it).

The publically available content on meishodo is very vague, compounded as I don't own many L5R rpg rulebooks. I did see a note in the wiki that meishodo left its practitioners with a weakened connection to the kami, though I just imagined it analogous to the way one's muscles atrophy by underuse.

But by the character sheet I was given, Chiwa was as competent a spell-caster as anyone else at her insight rank. She could cast from scrolls as with any other shugenja. Just with the added option of magic rocks if needed.

Quote:

On a related note, my Crane clan connection was originally Shigemitsu as you didn't start posting until about a week or two before court. Intriguingly, that character connection could well have had a stronger anti-Phoenix component ;)

Quote:
Kyokuta was kind of sporadic- we didn't always have him around to fill us in on what he was doing.

I kept encouraging him to, well, actually do his job. But all he seemed to want to do was get married to Keirohime. Which I didn't quite understand as I think they only had one scene together before her uninvitation. I think that was all I ever heard from him.

---

A question back to the audience. Did anybody actually have a flick through the Progressive/Traditionalist letter Chiwa had put through? Ideally, it would have been circulated much, much earlier in court. But IC reasons forbade me from doing so.

I do note that the ones with the Spider had more clicks than the other delegations. <3 Spider.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:00 pm 
Black Guard

Daidoji Molo wrote:
Quote:
A friend of mine who's a huge Unicorn fan practically had an aneurysm when I mentioned that the Unicorn were teaching outsiders meishodo. Because according to older setting material, it damages the user's connection to the kami (hence why the Kolat luuuuurved it).

The publically available content on meishodo is very vague, compounded as I don't own many L5R rpg rulebooks. I did see a note in the wiki that meishodo left its practitioners with a weakened connection to the kami, though I just imagined it analogous to the way one's muscles atrophy by underuse.

But by the character sheet I was given, Chiwa was as competent a spell-caster as anyone else at her insight rank. She could cast from scrolls as with any other shugenja. Just with the added option of magic rocks if needed.

Yeah, the "can't talk to the Kami any more" thing is from Way of the Unicorn and Secrets of the Unicorn. Given that 4e Meishodo practitioners suffer no penalty whatsoever to regular spellcasting, I have to assume that that plot point has either been abandoned or else the Unicorn managed to iron that bug out of their techniques in the centuries since they came back.

Quote:
Quote:

On a related note, my Crane clan connection was originally Shigemitsu as you didn't start posting until about a week or two before court. Intriguingly, that character connection could well have had a stronger anti-Phoenix component ;)

Hah, yes, it probably would at that ;) Pretty sure Shigemitsu ended court more anti-Phoenix than I did.

Quote:
A question back to the audience. Did anybody actually have a flick through the Progressive/Traditionalist letter Chiwa had put through? Ideally, it would have been circulated much, much earlier in court. But IC reasons forbade me from doing so.

I do note that the ones with the Spider had more clicks than the other delegations. <3 Spider.

I did :D But you knew that.

A real shame you weren't able to send it round earlier, it could have stirred up some real debate. As it was, the discussion of what it meant to be Progressive or Traditionalist was... kind of anemic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:50 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

Daidoji Molo wrote:

I didn't know that there was a letter?

I certainly never -saw- one. Hrm.

(The postal service was tricky to use this year and I lost a -ton- of letters. Grf.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:02 pm 
Black Guard

Behold.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:18 am 
Obsidian Magistrate

I saw this letter when it was posted but... It actually arrived during "not a single second to breath" week, and therefore I did not have time to react to it.

Sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:58 am 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

So, Iuchi Chiwa was on Naishi's short list of people to try to get married into the Gyushi family, had the marriage with Touya not gone through. As you were a meishodo-ist, it fit with the general treaty and would be a feather in our cap to snag you.

So, as a question, what was the final Unicorn summary like? As you were the scribe for it, I assume, you will likely get the Wish Granted benefit. What would be Iuchi Chiwa's wish?

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

Susumu Naishi in Winter Court 4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:52 am 
Dark Scribe

I heard that Ishiki killed himself and that Chiwa got his Gyushi blade. Was this where the story ends or are the plans as to what happens to the blade. One of the few Gyushi blades (that are not the usual swords of the Daigotsu family) slipping into oblivion in-story would by a pity.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:08 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

Quote:
A real shame you weren't able to send it round earlier, it could have stirred up some real debate. As it was, the discussion of what it meant to be Progressive or Traditionalist was... kind of anemic.

Quote:
I saw this letter when it was posted but... It actually arrived during "not a single second to breath" week, and therefore I did not have time to react to it.

I had written a near-identical post for the Unicorns a few weeks before court had started, without the IC embellishments. I was reading through the Guide to Traditionalist/Progressive and found all this "definition by examples" or "I love Shibatsu therefore I am a Progressive" troubling. And so the academic boffin in me put together an article the night that the GMs put out their guide.

So. It could well have been published Day 1 of court if I had thought to do so. Instead it only occurred to me to post it IC once I worked through to the point in Chiwa's storyline where she became a capable human being. Bleugh.

No need to apologise Geiko! Yes, on reflection the timing was terrible from a "have an impact on court" angle. Likely due to everybody having bunkered down in their allegiances by Day 25; the whirlwind of get stuff done before end of court; and player burn-out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:21 pm 
Black Guard

You could have posted it in the OOC forum, maybe? I for one would have loved more ground to actually debate ideology on. The sides ended up being fairly empty labels, I thought.

Oh well. Spilt milk and all that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:59 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

sndwurks wrote:
So, Iuchi Chiwa was on Naishi's short list of people to try to get married into the Gyushi family, had the marriage with Touya not gone through. As you were a meishodo-ist, it fit with the general treaty and would be a feather in our cap to snag you.

So, as a question, what was the final Unicorn summary like? As you were the scribe for it, I assume, you will likely get the Wish Granted benefit. What would be Iuchi Chiwa's wish?

I was considering possible marriage options for Chiwa going into court. And funnily enough, the highest on the list was to be married into the Gyushi because meishodo seemed a cool fit with the Spider's enchanted weapons theme. Ide Doburu and I both posted similar suggestions to that effect in the Unicorn private forum, though the rest of the delegation disagreed. Additionally, the lore for meishodo says it does not rely on the kami and so it might have been a cute way to grow a "shugenja" family without actually needing a gift for the kami.

The Unicorn's summary is posted here. I did write it, though I slapped Iuchi Wattu's name on it IC.

If Chiwa were to have one wish granted, it would be to finally have a choice in how to apply her talents for the good of the Unicorn. Rather than to be shoehorned into a gap that needs filling or to have to cheat her way into a position. Her preference would be to return to the Second City, hopefully as the Head of the Colonial Office of the newspaper.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:30 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

Audax wrote:
I heard that Ishiki killed himself and that Chiwa got his Gyushi blade. Was this where the story ends or are the plans as to what happens to the blade. One of the few Gyushi blades (that are not the usual swords of the Daigotsu family) slipping into oblivion in-story would by a pity.

Yup, Ishiki killed himself to cleanse a spiritual debt that was keeping his sister trapped in Meido. Then bequeathed it, Kokuhatsu, to Chiwa. I am not sure what the GMs are intending with it. Ishiki's player had buzzed one of the GMs about it, and I think it has been flagged.

In game, Emma-O had said IC that the Shi-Tien Yen-Wang now look after Kokuhatsu and protect its bearer. Not sure what else they might have planned for it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:37 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

Daidoji Molo wrote:
I did write it, though I slapped Iuchi Wattu's name on it IC.

How many (OOC) ghost writers were they in this court actually? We tried our best to all write our own talks ourselves, even if important posts were subjected to the whole clan's proofreading, and if Naishi was nonetheless our exploited scribe IC most of the time (first report, most of the second one...).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:40 pm 
Black Guard

I wrote or edited essentially everything the Crane put up on the Dais for the second half or so of WC, I think. I also wrote Shigemitsu's response to Kitaiko's blackmail, which was good, because his first draft was vitriolic enough that we would probably now be at war with the Scorpion if he'd said it.

Anything people said IC for themselves rather than on behalf of the delegation was pretty much always their own work, though.