Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Winter Court IV - Asahina Umeko - Ask Me Anything
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:12 am 
Black Guard

Well, it seems all the cool kids are doing them, so...

If anyone has questions for the strange, paranoid flower-arranger who somehow rose to run the Crane delegation for the final stretch of court, fire away!

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

Post subject: Re: Winter Court IV - Asahina Umeko - Ask Me Anything
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:19 am 
Obsidian Magistrate

What happened with Shigemitsu, anyway? Just player burnout at the end?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:03 am 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

As I've asked this in other places, but figure this would be cool here...

What was the one accomplishment you made in Winter Court IV that you hope gets made into the canon of the game?

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

Susumu Naishi in Winter Court 4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:53 am 
Obsidian Magistrate

Did Geiko actually have a chance to convince you to defend the Spider for the ikebana if Chiwa had not burned her hand?

Why were you so much opposed to your own marriage?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:54 am 
Black Guard

i'd really like to thank you.. being able to just crash at the crane embassy made for some hillarious RP :) bumped into burei for example... wow that was a blast :)..

i want to know :) what is with umeko and chiwa :) it was fun to read... when i could... the posts were HUGE and i have next to no idea what you two were on about but it was kinda funny all the same :)

also you playing lady doji ... reaaaly cool :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:00 am 
Crane Envoy to The Spider

Why isn't this on the Crane forum? :cry:

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:14 am 
Obsidian Magistrate

kakita_shiro wrote:

Because the Crane forum is nearly dead? I posted a brief thing there, but, no replies in, like, two days. :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:19 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

DukeMelvin wrote:
i want to know :) what is with umeko and chiwa :) it was fun to read... when i could... the posts were HUGE and i have next to no idea what you two were on about but it was kinda funny all the same :)

I can field this one. The backstory given for Chiwa was that she came into court a last-minute substitute for her sister, who had passed on due to a gaijin illness. Chiwa had always lived in the shadow of her more talented sister, and so carried doubt over everything she did. The story over court with Umeko (and others) was them trying to cheer Chiwa up.

And the huge posts were my fault as I have a pringles style of writing - once I pop I can't stop. I apologise for nothing! Hahaha! *smokebombs*

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:23 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

So what was the reason for Umeko having the Disbeliever disadvantage and what allowed her to buy it off?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:32 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

I noticed a fair amount of Crane player burnout- you guys seemed to be down to pretty much you, Shindo, Kinta, and Reiji by the end, as I recall... was that due to in-game frustrations or just life hitting the Crane delegation's players upside the head?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:24 pm 
Black Guard

Well. It turns out that posting your own thread does not auto-subscribe you to it... so I've been merrily posting nonsense in everyone else's threads and ignoring everyone here. Sorry all!

Wakshaani wrote:
What happened with Shigemitsu, anyway? Just player burnout at the end?

I am not entirely sure... he had work taking up a lot of his time for most of the event, and by the end I think he was basically down to "does this relate to any of our Clan goals? No? Then I don't have the time/energy for it." Since all of our goals were pretty well locked in one way or the other after Day 21, that meant most things we were doing.

Shiba Gunichi wrote:
I noticed a fair amount of Crane player burnout- you guys seemed to be down to pretty much you, Shindo, Kinta, and Reiji by the end, as I recall... was that due to in-game frustrations or just life hitting the Crane delegation's players upside the head?

The latter, mostly, I think. Shigemitsu was always a bit spotty in his availability, Ichigiku dropped due to general fatigue and burnout, and Soken, IIRC, was starting up a new job as a teacher/student teacher (not sure which), which ate most of his time. And that was pretty much the entirety of our core leadership team besides me. Yukihiro, Setsuna and Haturo stuck around, and you may have noticed that they delivered a lot of our Dais responses in the final week... but since most of those were "Congrats from the Crane on your shiny new treaty" it would be understandable if you didn't, and they were always fairly low-key players.

sndwurks wrote:
As I've asked this in other places, but figure this would be cool here...

What was the one accomplishment you made in Winter Court IV that you hope gets made into the canon of the game?

Ooh, tough one. Hmm.

I did spend a great deal of time patching up relations with the Lion... but given that what I was doing was mostly repairing the damage done to our pre-existing relationship, I don't know if I'd name that.

I think I would probably name my work with the Unicorn, ultimately. Umeko's threads with Chiwa were a real highlight of WC for me, and I think they have story potential going foreward given that they resulted in a very relationship between a prominent Crane courtier and the head of the newspaper office in the Second City (admittedly, on different continents for now, but that may change!). We also set up a pretty big cultural exchange (Crane support for Progressive Unicorn art styles, Asahina students learning Meishodo), and the Unicorn gave us the opportunity to land what might be one of our biggest punches on the Otomo - we personally handed the Regent and Emerald Champion a giant dossier full of reports from the Colonies that the Otomo had suppressed, which I know that Megumi specifically flagged for the Story Team's attention.

Ceithir wrote:
Did Geiko actually have a chance to convince you to defend the Spider for the ikebana if Chiwa had not burned her hand?

Probably not, sorry. Umeko was just entering her "must reconcile the Lion to us!" phase and showing up to officially represent the Spider didn't seem that conducive to it.

Quote:
Why were you so much opposed to your own marriage?

Because after Tomokazu's romantic overtures forced me to do some thinking about what Umeko's actual preferences were, I concluded that she was asexual. She was reconciled to the idea of marrying at some point as a matter of familial duty, but she wasn't in any hurry to do so, and marrying as a status 1.5 nobody didn't seem likely to be that advantageous.

DukeMelvin wrote:
i'd really like to thank you.. being able to just crash at the crane embassy made for some hillarious RP :) bumped into burei for example... wow that was a blast :)..

also you playing lady doji ... reaaaly cool :)

Thank you, and you're welcome :)

To expand on Molo's explanation - Chiwa's sister Chihasa had been a very good friend of Umeko's in backstory, and Umeko had been hoping to meet Chiwa at some point (and IIRC, was like the only one of Chiwa's contacts who actually knew anything about Chiwa to start with :lol:). Then Chihasa died and Chiwa was sent to court in her place, horribly depressed and unsure of herself, and Umeko was one of many characters trying to help her deal with that. In Umeko's case, it was one part "I wanted to meet her anyway," one part trying to help someone in obvious distress, and one part displacement activity from having to cope with the fact that her best friend was dead.

Wakshaani wrote:
kakita_shiro wrote:

Because the Crane forum is nearly dead? I posted a brief thing there, but, no replies in, like, two days. :(

Yeah, this. Sad, but true :(

Zarasu wrote:
So what was the reason for Umeko having the Disbeliever disadvantage and what allowed her to buy it off?

I have not the faintest idea what Umeko's Disbeliever disadvantage was supposed to represent. I mostly played it as Umeko not being particularly interested in the ritual piety aspect of being a shugenja, but I was never very happy with it. I ultimately justified buying it off on the basis that exposure to the Celestial Dragon made her re-evaluate some things, but mostly I was just glad to be able to stop wondering about it.

Not the most high-minded of answers, I will admit, but TBH I had quite a bit of difficulty playing the character I was handed. If I am involved in another event like this, I think I will either ask for a homebrew or be more specific about what sort of character I'm looking to play.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:43 pm 
Black Guard

Quote:
Thank you, and you're welcome :)

To expand on Molo's explanation - Chiwa's sister Chihasa had been a very good friend of Umeko's in backstory, and Umeko had been hoping to meet Chiwa at some point (and IIRC, was like the only one of Chiwa's contacts who actually knew anything about Chiwa to start with :lol:). Then Chihasa died and Chiwa was sent to court in her place, horribly depressed and unsure of herself, and Umeko was one of many characters trying to help her deal with that. In Umeko's case, it was one part "I wanted to meet her anyway," one part trying to help someone in obvious distress, and one part displacement activity from having to cope with the fact that her best friend was dead.

awhhh thats super sweet of you :) i saw that with chikuma which was hillarious when she called her sensei or senpai... i nearly cried... it was GREAT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:14 am 
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan

So besides my killer tea party with the regent, how else did you fight against the Otomo. I know I agreed to marriages to the other families but what was the major goal?

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:03 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

Daidoji Tacticus wrote:
Not the most high-minded of answers, I will admit, but TBH I had quite a bit of difficulty playing the character I was handed. If I am involved in another event like this, I think I will either ask for a homebrew or be more specific about what sort of character I'm looking to play.

Actually, I think most carded had something strange within them. In his description, Geiko is presented like someone exemplary in court (most probably to explain his Dark Paragon of Control), yet he had the bare minimum in Etiquette (3), his traits were more hulkish than batmanish, and neither his other skills nor his background (or at least, the way I interpreted it) sounded right for the job.

And I had to go to great lengths to explain his Artisan: Ikebana 2 (with no skill above 3, this was quite notable).

I interpreted this as a way to leave us more freedom in how we thought they were. Anchors to insert our own stuff.

The short and quite vague background (a paragraph) was probably there for the same avail. More than full characters, most of us were offered templates we had to fill up. Most probably to avoid a character and a player being so incompatible nothing good would have come out of this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:55 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

Question: Who would you have wanted to interact more with, outside of official courtly business? Perhaps in terms of rivalry, because I do love a bit of personal conflict in these.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:13 pm 
Black Guard

TheItsyBitsySpider wrote:
So besides my killer tea party with the regent, how else did you fight against the Otomo. I know I agreed to marriages to the other families but what was the major goal?

The objective we were given was to prevent the Otomo from securing marriages, student exchanges, or any other agreement that would increase their influences over the Clans... with anyone. Anyone at all.

It is probably not surprising that we didn't achieve it.

We did succeed in locking them out of the Progressive Alliance, though, which is something. And we accidentally blew up their treaty with the Lion by marrying Reiji to the Matsu Daimyo when the Otomo had presented an ultimatum "Hisoka marries the Matsu Daimyo or no deal". So we ended up restricting them to treaties with, I think, the Dragon and the Pincers, which is something, at least.

The rest of our anti-Otomo efforts consisted of objecting in court to anything they did that stepped outside their actual authority at all, or that would increase their authority. So we called Otomo Koji out for trying to meddle in our treaty with the Scorpion (our treaty, thank you very much, the Otomo were not asked for their opinion), we shut the Otomo out of any role in the running of the Imperial Navy, we shut down Kyosuta's petition that the Iweko children join the Otomo or Seppun after the new Emperor was named, and we made sure that the library-rebuildin/backup initiative would not involve the Otomo poking their noses into anyone's Clan secrets, or otherwise provide them with the opportunity to get their fingers into more things.

In retrospect, we could have done considerably more, but if I start talking about the things we could have done better in retrospect I will never shut up. You can ask if you want, but don't say you weren't warned ;)

Ceithir wrote:
Daidoji Tacticus wrote:

Actually, I think most carded had something strange within them. In his description, Geiko is presented like someone exemplary in court (most probably to explain his Dark Paragon of Control), yet he had the bare minimum in Etiquette (3), his traits were more hulkish than batmanish, and neither his other skills nor his background (or at least, the way I interpreted it) sounded right for the job.

And I had to go to great lengths to explain his Artisan: Ikebana 2 (with no skill above 3, this was quite notable).

I interpreted this as a way to leave us more freedom in how we thought they were. Anchors to insert our own stuff.

The short and quite vague background (a paragraph) was probably there for the same avail. More than full characters, most of us were offered templates we had to fill up. Most probably to avoid a character and a player being so incompatible nothing good would have come out of this.

Yeah, it's a reasonable approach, but in my case I just felt sort of lost as to what to do with the character... since I was given a motivation that suggested I should be doing either courtly or theological things, and then all my points were in art with only the bare minimum for courtier or lore skills. I probably should have gone to Tsugumu to sort something out, but I was new and showing up very late and it didn't occur to me.

I think it worked out well enough anyway, can't complain ;)

Daidoji Molo wrote:
Question: Who would you have wanted to interact more with, outside of official courtly business? Perhaps in terms of rivalry, because I do love a bit of personal conflict in these.

Ooh, good one. Hmm. I was very sad I didn't get more scenes in which Chikuma before her player walked away from the game, I had some ideas in that regard. I wish, in general, that I had talked to more Phoenix earlier, there were some very cool players over there (Taisho and Maemuki especially), and it would have helped move my character arc WRT the Phoenix along, one way or another. Chatting with Taisho about the leadership change in the Jade Office would have been particularly interesting.

And I also wish I had spoken IC with Demiyah prior to Day 27, because there was some interesting stuff going on there WRT the Lion and Ikoma Aimi - Umeko naturally stood in direct opposition to Demiyah's plans for the Lion (namely, get them at war with the Crane, or at least vehemently opposed), but nonetheless had to personally respect Demiyah at least somewhat for having rescued her friend once. I do find it quite hilarious that Umeko managed to comprehensively derail all of Demiyah's hopes for the Lion without Demiyah ever being aware of who was responsible... but it would have been interesting to see her IC response to finding out.