It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: The Honored Opposition Answers Questions: Yasuki Tono
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:09 am 
Daigotsu's Legion

Quote:
Crab Story Primer Addendum
by Megumi » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:34 pm

As of that post, very shortly before the game began and *after* we'd as a clan established that after the Scorpion the Lion were the ones we wanted to be good friends with. We'd had hopes that by being close to both, we could find some peace between them.

And then the addendum, and the anguish. We wanted peace for both the Scorpion & Lion, or at most a border conflict; certainly not what it became with that update. It was certainly too late to change a month of prepwork entirely. But it's the main reason the Crab didn't sign a treaty until much later.

I was going to sign no treaty with Aimi...but did you see her bouncing off the walls in that thread? Signing no treaty at all would be admitting we were fighting, and orders from on high were to not let them know about it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:25 am 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

Sounds like the change to the Phoenix research... a late arrival spiking guns we'd spent over a month getting lined up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:40 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

Yeah, certainly a significant wrench.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:48 pm 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

I remember a lot of the pre-game chatter on the Spider Forum being an attempt to figure out exactly what was going on with the Crab - Spider War. We actually started our initial plans with the anticipation of the war being a major point at court, with the Crab coming to court to get the approval.

And then we found out that the approval was already given. And we still did not have all the details on what was causing it, how it would be fought, etc.

Here's hoping that WC5 has a little more up front information, and less last minute surprises.

Back to the questions!

Was there a major political goal for Tono that you did not achieve? Aside from, you know, completely destroying the Spider in court and getting the Imperial sanction to wipe us out. Was there a plan you had in place to achieve something that simply never came about?

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

Susumu Naishi in Winter Court 4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:42 pm 
Black Guard

Tono: You were given no room to change the plan at all? Ouch.

And Naishi's post reminds me of one that I had during WC, actually: what is the Crab casus belli against the Spider? I remember asking GMs during WC, and all anyone knew was that it had something to do with the results a Gencon RPG event. I saw lots of references from the Crab to "Spider crimes and manipulations", but never what those alleged crimes and manipulations were.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:52 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

My memories from august roleplay experience

Two Tortoise report on having caught the Spider smuggling in Crab territory
Lion magistrate gives report on a list of spider oriented crimes/illicit activies in lion and along lion lands from over a series of time (he was reluctant to give the info to the Crab, because it could've been a reason for the Lion to go to war again)
Unicorn magistrate reporting on the spider having been caught manipulating the Unicorn and Dragon, exacerbating the situation between the Dragon/Unicorn after the Naleesh/Shikei
Ronin testimony regarding additional spider crimes
(I'm pretty sure there's at least one other person, forgetting who)
Crab also had testimony on spider smuggling, but the point of the adventure was that the Crab needed testimony from other clans to get the court to believe them: elsewise everyone would just assume it was the Crab hatred for the spider rearing its ugly head.

Goju assassins attacking to try and kill or shame the different testimony giving samurai over the night before they're about to give their testimony. If enough are stopped, the Crab wouldn't have enough testimony to gain the war; I'm pretty sure nearly every table lost the ronin, but most lost no one, or only one of the tortoise more. So on average it was a resounding victory for the emerald magistrates (players) and thereby the Crab on getting the war (for better or worse.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:57 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

Quote:
Was there a major political goal for Tono that you did not achieve? Aside from, you know, completely destroying the Spider in court and getting the Imperial sanction to wipe us out. Was there a plan you had in place to achieve something that simply never came about?

Tono wanted to get heavy into the merchanting business at the imperial city; he ended up with absolutely no free time to pursue it (I wanted to play up the Crab leveraging their supplies of tea) and didn't ever get even the plan set up to happen.

I had a plan in place to shame a Spider who brought up negatives of tradition, based around the gift to the spider/Atsushi from the start of court. Although mostly it revolved around the sentence/idea, "And we're all thankful the Spider no longer practice their culinary traditions, but are more progressive in changing their ways. I've heard a few gourmet's say that one is what they eat, and so it seems the ancestors of the Spider found a way to become samurai."

Based on Atsushi having acknowledged that the City of the Lost contained the ancestors of the Spider clan; and the city of the lost predates amnesty. ;) But the right moment never came up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:05 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

I'd actually wante dto get favorable trade conditions on tea, but I couldn't quite grab Aitoko long enough to shake it out of him.

*grump*

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:54 am 
Obsidian Magistrate

An indirect question since the player is not there. Do you know why Tadama had the Meditation (Void Recovery) skill? There is a lot of things I would associate with Hida berserkers, but breathing calmly in the lotus position is not one of them. Is that one of those strange "lines on carded character sheets no one knows where exactly they come from", like Geiko's Ikebana or Umeko's Disbeliever?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:41 am 
Final Student
 WWW  Profile

It makes perfect sense to me, the same way it would make sense for Bruce Banner to have it- when you can lose control and become an unstoppable monster you want something to help you keep control.

"I would sooner our clan be numbered less than a hundred than suffer traitors in our midst"
Shosuro Yudoka

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:54 am 
Crane Envoy to The Spider

I don't think he started with it.

ImageImage