Shinden Fu Leng


Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:48 am 
Offline
Dark Scribe
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:27 am
Posts: 1571
Chris and Max have kindly offered a thread for questions to the Story Team. There, questions about decisions of the WC GM Team came up, as there are ST members there. I don't know if questions posed here will be answered, but feel free to try.

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:07 am 
Offline
Paragon of Dark Virtue
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:37 am
Posts: 441
Regarding the Progressive Alliance Petition...

Did that impact the Seiken / Shibatsu point totals in any way, other than the Glory buffs for the people who brought it forward?

Can you share with us what the background of Susumu Yanada was? As he was the only carded Spider who did not actually show up, knowing more about him would have been awesome.

_________________
David Gordon Buresh
Doomsayer

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

Susumu Naishi in Winter Court 4


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:21 pm 
Offline
Obsidian Magistrate
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:03 pm
Posts: 50
First, a question about personal quests. All along court, many characters were following quests of their own, independently of their clans' objectives. Some required mandatory GMs inputs, especially when they were implying spirits, gods, divinations... How were you keeping tracks of all this? Did you refer to the 20 questions/background every time, then improvise?

Second, gods were indeed quite prominent and present during this court, with multiple avatars and manifestations (the Lords of Death, Emma-O, Susumu, the Celestial Dragon...). Was it on purpose and planned beforehand, as an introduction to a more "fantasy" arc (like this card hints at), or did things simply turn that way?

Third, how were timezones handled? Were all GMs on American time (whether West or East coast), or did you try to get some European/Australian ones to ease the management of players spread everywhere in the world?

Next... A delicate one. The big three of WC were Megumi, Saibankan and Muzaka. You, STYW, were clearly the fourth member of the trio (Story team + Taking care of many events). However, while Megumi was indeed true neutral, Saibankan and Muzaka were the official Scorpion AGM, and you were the Crab one. Did not this "judge and be judged" position cause problems from time to time?

And to conclude, a little question about Yasuki Keirohime. There is many pointers about the fact she was a GM character, and more exactly your plaything STYW (if only because her "death" happened in an hour were almost nobody was online, except for you and a few lucky people), but it was never officially stated. Anything to say on the subject, or is it doomed to stay a mystery forever?


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:00 pm 
Offline
Obsidian Magistrate
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:53 pm
Posts: 82
I will bookmark this and cone back to it later. No computer at this time.

_________________
C Thomas Hand
Shi-Tien Yen-Wang at WC IV*Doji Azai*BackHand*Team Stella*Athos
L5R Story Team*L5R RPG Team
"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em."
Image


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:54 am 
Offline
Black Guard
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:05 pm
Posts: 136
i know ishiki PM'd STYW about his plan for kokuhatsu i was wondering why this never happened i wont discuss it here because its private... but you may know what i am on about if you dont please pm me ..


((this is not blaming anyone i was just wondering was it a time thing or loss of communication ?? not mad it didnt happen and not blaming you it didnt ... just wondering))


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:14 pm 
Offline
Obsidian Magistrate
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:53 pm
Posts: 82
As a brief disclaimer, any questions I answer about WC IV are MY answers. They do not pertain to other GMs unless I explicitly state that they do.

Quote:
((this is not blaming anyone i was just wondering was it a time thing or loss of communication ?? not mad it didnt happen and not blaming you it didnt ... just wondering))


PM me with questions regarding this. Short answer: the last two weeks of the court saw me busier than busy with the RPG Atlas, Story Team catch up and fiction. I did not have as much time as I would have liked for the end of the court.

Quote:
How were you keeping tracks of all this? Did you refer to the 20 questions/background every time, then improvise?


At the start of the court we tried to make sure we had a list of personal goals from the players in each of their private forums. Personally, I would refer to this thread in each player's private forums and/or review their 20 q's and/or ask the player outright.

I also have a gigantic document of information on the court that I referred to constantly.

Quote:
Second, gods were indeed quite prominent and present during this court, with multiple avatars and manifestations (the Lords of Death, Emma-O, Susumu, the Celestial Dragon...). Was it on purpose and planned beforehand, as an introduction to a more "fantasy" arc (like this card hints at), or did things simply turn that way?

A little of both. Some of it was intended from the beginning. Some of it was in response to player actions.

Quote:
Third, how were timezones handled? Were all GMs on American time (whether West or East coast), or did you try to get some European/Australian ones to ease the management of players spread everywhere in the world?


We had GMs from multiple timezones, mostly American, but at least Koshin was on European.

Quote:
Next... A delicate one. The big three of WC were Megumi, Saibankan and Muzaka. You, STYW, were clearly the fourth member of the trio (Story team + Taking care of many events). However, while Megumi was indeed true neutral, Saibankan and Muzaka were the official Scorpion AGM, and you were the Crab one. Did not this "judge and be judged" position cause problems from time to time?


I can see how certain GMs being in charge of certain clans could give the players a perception of bias towards that clan. However, I would like to state that one of the goals from the beginning of court was for each GM to be a GM to ALL, first, and a GM to their clan second. That's the focus I took in the court, at least.

I tried to look at each clan's private forums, review information, and offer answers when other GMs were not on (I was and am often online at very late American hours).

Muzaka was focused on the Scorpion, but both he and I took a very hands-off approach to allowing the Scorpion and Crab to take charge of their own actions. My philosophy, explicitly stated at the outset, was "Ask forgiveness, not permission. Tono is in charge of you until he does something stupid. Ask questions if you have them."

Muzaka did something similar. He could not have been more neutral regarding the Scorpion, trust me.

Saibankan and I helped out with the Scorpion when Muzaka's baby was born. But Saibankan was the logistical expert of the court. He managed the points, he ran all kinds of rumor and information, and was, aside from Megumi, the most neutral GM at the court.

Quote:
And to conclude, a little question about Yasuki Keirohime. There is many pointers about the fact she was a GM character, and more exactly your plaything STYW (if only because her "death" happened in an hour were almost nobody was online, except for you and a few lucky people), but it was never officially stated. Anything to say on the subject, or is it doomed to stay a mystery forever?


It is not my place to discuss the characters of the court. If that player wants to reveal their information, I will let them do so. Keirohime was a controversial character and I can understand why some might think the way they do. Sorry if I cannot offer more on this matter.

Quote:
Did that impact the Seiken / Shibatsu point totals in any way, other than the Glory buffs for the people who brought it forward?

Can you share with us what the background of Susumu Yanada was? As he was the only carded Spider who did not actually show up, knowing more about him would have been awesome.


As far as I am aware (and I believe I am fully aware) the only things that affected the Seiken/Shibatsu point totals were the outcomes of Clan Goals and the individual points earned by players. It was the fairest way we could distribute the results.

I don't think it would be a good idea for me to post information from Winter Court over here, but I will check and see if I can do so.

If I did not properly answer your question, let me know.

_________________
C Thomas Hand
Shi-Tien Yen-Wang at WC IV*Doji Azai*BackHand*Team Stella*Athos
L5R Story Team*L5R RPG Team
"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em."
Image


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:42 pm 
Offline
Obsidian Magistrate
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:03 pm
Posts: 50
Shi-Tien Yen-Wang wrote:
Quote:
Next... A delicate one. The big three of WC were Megumi, Saibankan and Muzaka. You, STYW, were clearly the fourth member of the trio (Story team + Taking care of many events). However, while Megumi was indeed true neutral, Saibankan and Muzaka were the official Scorpion AGM, and you were the Crab one. Did not this "judge and be judged" position cause problems from time to time?


I can see how certain GMs being in charge of certain clans could give the players a perception of bias towards that clan. However, I would like to state that one of the goals from the beginning of court was for each GM to be a GM to ALL, first, and a GM to their clan second. That's the focus I took in the court, at least.

I tried to look at each clan's private forums, review information, and offer answers when other GMs were not on (I was and am often online at very late American hours).

Muzaka was focused on the Scorpion, but both he and I took a very hands-off approach to allowing the Scorpion and Crab to take charge of their own actions. My philosophy, explicitly stated at the outset, was "Ask forgiveness, not permission. Tono is in charge of you until he does something stupid. Ask questions if you have them."

Muzaka did something similar. He could not have been more neutral regarding the Scorpion, trust me.

Saibankan and I helped out with the Scorpion when Muzaka's baby was born. But Saibankan was the logistical expert of the court. He managed the points, he ran all kinds of rumor and information, and was, aside from Megumi, the most neutral GM at the court.


I do not doubt for a single second the GMs tried their best to be as objective as possible.

However, there is something than all the goodwill of men cannot help with: Communication.

When most faction's players needed something, they had to refer to their AGM, who then transmitted to the big guns. They were delays involved, data lost, back-and-forth, fist responses being overruled later. Please note that they are several posts on the forum specifically asking not to bother any other main GM except for emergency.

When a Crab/Scorpion needed something, they just had to ask their AGM directly, and since they were already the big ones, things were quicker and smoother.

The examples are numerous, but the most obvious one was the fact that Crab (and most probably Scorpion) players were explained with extreme details how to report events which may affect their glory and honor, and explained at length how important honor was.

Something most people learned near the end of January. After two whole months of not reporting anything.

Of course, at this point, they could have dug in their numerous posts to find back things worth some points. But few actually did.

Because they did not know what was worth points in all the stuff they did.

Because it would have taken an enormous amount of time the players did not have, and, most importantly, the GMs did not have anymore (Oni's aftermath).

Because it would have sounded like begging and whining.

Because they did not want for their last days of court to be nothing but shameless attempts at hammering points when there were still so much RP to do.

Furthermore, knowing beforehand how important honor was going to be would have changed a lot of strategies. Do you think any character (not only Spider by the way) would have used their Dark Paragon advantages so eagerly had they know it would cost 5 points to their delegation each time? Would any homebrew have taken one actually?


Let's take an analogy.

You have two new L5R players. Two other nice players lend them each a deck so they can play, and teach them how to play, but separately.

The first one gets a pure military deck. His teacher only explains him the military victory condition, because as a beginner, that's all he should need to know to play, right.

The second receives an honor deck. His teacher explains him all honor mechanisms, and also how to endure military time enough to win.

The match begins. The first player finds his opponent strategy quite strange, but does not react at first. Well, maybe he has a bad draw or some sort of combo which takes time to prepare. He plays slowly, carefully, eager to avoid the only defeat he knows of: losing all provinces.

Then, at one point, he finally understands something fishy is happening and asks. And learns of the Honor victory condition. When his opponent is at 35. And still has two provinces left.

Technically, at that point, he still has a small chance to win. There is a possibility he can crush the two remaining provinces just in time. But objectively? He has already lost.

There is no culprit there. Each player, the military one, the honor one, their teachers, did what he thought was just and best. But there is unfairness nonetheless. The military player did not lose because he was less good than his opponent, but because he was badly informed.


The Crab's affair this court is similar (I said Crab because I have far less information on the Scorpion, but it is probably the same). The Crab players were acting in good faith, and actually pointed out some scenes with other players for points' attribution (Tono with Atsushi, Tomokazu with Geiko...). But that does not change the fact they were offered quite an edge, and that it was mostly impossible for others to catch up when the deal was revealed.

I do not say that all factions knowing would have changed anything at the final outcome: The Crab were incredible players, and they may have crushed the other clans nonetheless.

But this injustice is responsible for at least half of the cut-throat ambiance of the last weeks, and may have provoked quite a few drops and ragequits.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:12 pm 
Offline
Final Student
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:07 pm
Posts: 65
Ceithir wrote:
When a Crab/Scorpion needed something, they just had to ask their AGM directly, and since they were already the big ones, things were quicker and smoother.

The Crab AGM (Hand) wasn't one of the "big ones" at the start of Court. And the Scorpion AGM's (Muzaka) baby daughter was born not long after Court began, so our secondary AGM (Koshin) was left handling a lot of stuff whilst also being the Mantis AGM. There were certainly times when we got quick responses, just as there were times we did not, and I would be shocked if that wasn't true for every faction.

Ceithir wrote:
The examples are numerous, but the most obvious one was the fact that Crab (and most probably Scorpion) players were explained with extreme details how to report events which may affect their glory and honor, and explained at length how important honor was.

I'm not sure where you got this idea, though it's possible it's because I don't know what you mean by "extreme details". We got told "Post links to where you think you or others should gain or lose honour". If that's extreme, then be wary of going into the OOC section of WC because it has posts saying the same thing there. And the majority of our gains were from competing in events, posting on the Dais and the fight with the Oni- stuff that the GMs took care of without having to be informed- whilst most of our losses were from us telling the GMs we felt we should lose honour for things like blackmail or using school techniques.

_________________
Jon Butler
Scorpion Clan • Samurai • Final Student • Vigilant • Team InterStella

"I would sooner our clan be numbered less than a hundred than suffer traitors in our midst"
Shosuro Yudoka

Image


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:25 pm 
Offline
Obsidian Magistrate
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:03 pm
Posts: 50
Hand was big enough to contradict and win against our own AGM or the Crane one.

For "extreme details", I am referring to this. And I can swear to you, we were not even told we had to list our actions, as were not the Crane and the Dragon (unsure for the others). Nor were we reminded at any moment to do so.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:45 pm 
Offline
Scholar of the Yobanjin
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:45 pm
Posts: 791
Ceithir wrote:
Hand was big enough to contradict and win against our own AGM or the Crane one.

For "extreme details", I am referring to this. And I can swear to you, we were not even told we had to list our actions, as were not the Crane and the Dragon (unsure for the others). Nor were we reminded at any moment to do so.



Phoenix only got a suggestion that it might be a good idea. After day...20 or so.

But, as you say, the problem that comes up there is, I know I both gained and lost Honor for things I would have shrugged off as just "normal." It's a lot more subjective than Glory or Infamy.

_________________
Phoenix Loyalist. Yobanjin Obsessionado. Played Tonbo Taira at WC III, Isawa Taisho at WC IV, and Daigotsu Yukari at WC V.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:28 pm 
Offline
Daigotsu's Legion
 Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:05 pm
Posts: 49
To be fair: http://wintercourt.l5r.com/viewtopic.ph ... 945#p29974

Megumi, November 8th (before start, during prep time)

Quote:
I'll be making a separate post about exactly how this is going to work, but in general, we're going to track every point of Honor, Glory, Status and Experience every member of every Clan Delegation accumulates BEYOND THEIR STARTING VALUES. To the total of those for each Clan will be added points for achieving Clan objectives, as well as points for winning various Court competitions e.g. The Winding Water Banquet, the Bowman's Wager, etc. At the end of Court, the total points for each clan will be apportioned according to that Clan's support for each Imperial brother--so, if your Clan was, say, 75% Seiken and 25% Shibatsu at the end of Winter Court, and your Clan had (say) 200 total points, then 150 points would be put toward Seiken and 50 toward Shibatsu (I'd note that you guys are going to be able to adjust your support split between the two Heirs during Court as you see fit...but if you want to change too radically from your starting split, you may have some justification to make to your Clan Champion). We'll then total the points for Seiken and Shibatsu from each Clan and the side with the most points will "win". We'll also be passing to the Story Team the final support splits for each clan, so if you go 90/10 in favor of one brother, and the other one takes the Throne, then next year your Clan may be behind the political 8-ball compared to a Clan that hedged its bets and went 60/40...but, of course, by going 60/40, that clan is making it less likely their guy will win...


And again here: november 28th, Megumi brings up honor/glory being tracked.

http://wintercourt.l5r.com/viewtopic.ph ... 014#p38438

Quote:
We also recognize that individual players may want to deviate from this. Accordingly, at the 2/3 point of Winter Court, on Day 20, we will ask players to declare their support for each Heir, as a percentage. Let's take an example. Doji Bob really wants to support Shibatsu, so he says 100/0 for the younger brother. At the conclusion of Winter Court, he's earned 10 points total of Honor, Glory, XP and Status. Therefore, he will contribute 10 points to Shibatsu and none to Seiken. Kakita Bill is more cagey, though, and wants to hedge his bets, so he goes 60/40 Shibatsu/Seiken. He's also gained 10 points of Honor, etc. In his case, 6 will go to Shibatsu and 4 to Seiken. We'll set up a spreadsheet, with a row for each player, to do these calculations, and end up with PC totals, which will then be totaled for each of the Traditionalist and Progressive sides.


December 10th Shi-Tien Yen Wang posted: http://wintercourt.l5r.com/viewtopic.ph ... =30#p73444

Quote:
Determining XP Bonuses:
The GMs are watching your threads. We will pick out ones that stand out. In addition, players are HIGHLY ENCOURAGED to suggest threads for gain. Send any thread you see that you are in (or wish to nominate someone else on) to your GM (or the GM of the player's involved if not you). This same thing can be used for ANY other mechanical gain.

You will help determine your own fate. I have had some tell me they don't feel "right" about nominating themselves for Gains. Get over that. We, as the GMs, simply DO NOT have the time to filter every thread. We WILL miss things if you do not draw our eyes. If you want gains and you feel you should get them, tell us. We are quite likely to oblige if we agree (and the other GMs we get involved agree as well).


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:22 pm 
Offline
Obsidian Magistrate
 Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:00 am
Posts: 70
Shiba Gunichi wrote:
Ceithir wrote:
Hand was big enough to contradict and win against our own AGM or the Crane one.

For "extreme details", I am referring to this. And I can swear to you, we were not even told we had to list our actions, as were not the Crane and the Dragon (unsure for the others). Nor were we reminded at any moment to do so.



Phoenix only got a suggestion that it might be a good idea. After day...20 or so.

But, as you say, the problem that comes up there is, I know I both gained and lost Honor for things I would have shrugged off as just "normal." It's a lot more subjective than Glory or Infamy.


We lost our GM around Day 18, and had never been on the "Report your stuff" wagon. We were, admitedly, staring at the Crane and wondering what the heck was going on when they were flying honor all over the place. Shigemitsu, who the Lion felt was kinda disdainful of us and who kept pressing certain issues (Like teh Izuna bit), and who littered the city with paper cranes (In an admited accident, but one that had Imperial investigations behind!) ... went UP to 8.1 Honor at about the same time CHikuma lost half a rank for kicking Moshi D out.

The Lion players, as a whole, were VERY shy, and never approached any GM about gains until ... man. Day 27? 28? I started a thread and basicly begged everybody to start digging, to try and salvage -something-, but by then, there were only four of us left, and our big guns, like Leiko and CHikuma, were long gone, while Katsuro, our #3, was dead.

Heck, we didn't even Bard Up but, what, three times ever? One for Yama, one for Aitoko, and ... hrm. Might just be the two. It felt metagamey to go around and just blast one another with Glory sprays to the face, you know? That sort of thing is fine for big events, but just having super-soaker fights was right out.

It just ... wasn't our court. At all.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:26 pm 
Offline
Scholar of the Yobanjin
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:45 pm
Posts: 791
Lion also barded Asako Michi up.

Which we appreciated.

_________________
Phoenix Loyalist. Yobanjin Obsessionado. Played Tonbo Taira at WC III, Isawa Taisho at WC IV, and Daigotsu Yukari at WC V.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:31 pm 
Offline
Obsidian Magistrate
 Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:00 am
Posts: 70
Shiba Gunichi wrote:
Lion also barded Asako Michi up.

Which we appreciated.


Honestly, we should have done that to the winner of, like, every event EVER, but it always felt a bit weird. As Kakita Burei showed, breaking into sudden wordsmithing in front of the dais without permission? Kiiiind of a bad idea. :)

So, we always needed a crowd, but didn't want to do it in court, and it needed to be significant, and -obviously- we didn't want to glorybomb a Progressive ...

So, you know ... lots of sitting on hands.

As en example of what kinds of things we -should- have been seeing, I dug out 42 points of Glory in the last IC day by grabbing threads and linking them upstairs. Another 20+ points of Glory came out just a bit later, so I finished with something north of 12 Glory, where I'd been around 6 on Day 27. There's a rank or more of Honor hidden that I never got around to digging up, and I'm nowhere -near- as good at RP as Leiko or Chikuma, so they should have had as much or more.

With no GM, we were just kinda ... drifting... after Day 20.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:34 pm 
Offline
Black Guard
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:01 am
Posts: 138
The Crane did not receive anything like the detailed advice Hand gave to the Crab on how to report gains and losses for maximum effectiveness, FTR.

_________________
As for the rest, I am of the opinion that the Otomo must be destroyed.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:47 pm 
Offline
Daigotsu's Legion
 Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:05 pm
Posts: 49
And that is something I certainly hope is corrected, as Aitoko mentioned, for next time, if they use such a scoring mechanic.

All the players though *were* told that glory/honor/status/xp would be the scoring metric, and everyone was told that the GMs would need the help of being notified of when such things were occurring, which is what I was able to find with 15 minutes or so of memory searching backwards 3 months or so ago to the start of the game. All the Crab were given is a method of recording said thing at the start of the court; and the format our good AGM used was not updated I know in my case consistently. It was updated towards the end with information, but mostly was acknowledgement of a thread for keeping track of or discussing gains or losses.

I'm also a veteran of winter courts and Play by post games, having played in different games since something like 2005? Maybe 2004? I've had now going on 10 years of experience in the format, and part of that has consistently been: the GMs are not reading everything, that is impossible, let them know when cool things happen.

I know for instance that I had a couple of big losses for Tono that canceled out some otherwise big gains, because of having reported in that thread/to my Agm.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:51 pm 
Offline
Scholar of the Yobanjin
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:45 pm
Posts: 791
See, in WC 3? I don't think anyone in the MCA delegation saw their Honor or Glory values so much as flicker the whole time... didn't exactly provide a lot of context for actions the GMs might be looking out for.

_________________
Phoenix Loyalist. Yobanjin Obsessionado. Played Tonbo Taira at WC III, Isawa Taisho at WC IV, and Daigotsu Yukari at WC V.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:02 pm 
Offline
Black Guard
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:01 am
Posts: 138
Honestly, I hope they don't use such a scoring mechanic again. The subjective nature of basically everything on the list, combined with it ultimately being critical to the outcome, made it so very easy for arguments to arise over it, and very difficult to resolve them. And it felt very meta-gamey to me, especially when so many people ended up being more valuable to their delegations than the achievement or lack thereof of the goals their Champions had tasked them with achieving.

_________________
As for the rest, I am of the opinion that the Otomo must be destroyed.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:12 pm 
Offline
Paragon of Dark Virtue
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:37 am
Posts: 441
I actually have a question for the Winter Court AGMs...

What is the biggest take-away you have from running Winter Court this year? If you could give any future AGM one piece of advice, what would it be?

_________________
David Gordon Buresh
Doomsayer

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

Susumu Naishi in Winter Court 4


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:47 pm 
Offline
Daigotsu's Legion
 Profile

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:07 pm
Posts: 14
I said this before at the OOC forum of the WC 4. I still don't concurr with saying that the crab were more effective in searching for their gains, at least from a personal perspective. All of my gains were NOT asked or linked except for an exp point that I asked to STYW at the Single Mingle Party. That we used the format that Chris suggested for keeping up our gains, yes that is true. But I only used for the record and to help Chris know from were (and from what GM) my gains came from. They were NOT linked or asked for and were purely given by the GMs as the rewards they decided to give to me. Here is the list of my gains.

Most of my gains did not come from STYW actually.

Library Event: Koshin
Promotion into the Imp Legions: Muzaka
Gutted Carp: Saibankan + Tsugumu (were I did lose honor)
Miaka wooing process: Tenjin
Dock your Pay: Chagatai
Duel with Kurogane: STYW
Dais: Megumi
Iaijutsu Event: Jotei + Konohama
Gift to the Empress: Megumi
Devil's Chase: Megumi

As for xp. I ended with 43. And If I'm not mistaken 7 were for RP and events. The rest are the normal weekly gains.


I admit thou the Crab have an excelent communication with STYW. But not just with him. Tenjin, Saibankan, Emma-O, Inari, Muzaka all of them sometimes lurked in our OOC threads and joke with us. But I never felt a Subjective approach towards the Crab from a IC perspective. I dont feel that the GMs have any preference and I really think they were totally impartial.

As for STYW, he had his military assigments so we usually have to communicate via Inari, Chagatai and Muzaka when Chris was not available because of his RL work.

_________________
WC IV @ Hiruma Tetsuya

RHS @ Bayushi Tawara; Ryuhei, Ruthless Order of the Spider Monk


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:53 pm 
Offline
Scholar of the Yobanjin
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:45 pm
Posts: 791
The fact that you know where your gains came from is amazing to me... to this day, I have no clue which GM assigned most of my gains.

Dead serious.

No red text in my posts, no PMs, no notations in the thread I set up (as requested) to deal with it.

I know of the penalties I accrued, all from Hachiman, which, let me tell you, did WONDERS for that player/GM relationship...


Only GMs we saw in the Phoenix OOC were Benten (of course!), Saibankan this one time, Hachiman once or twice, and... that's it.

_________________
Phoenix Loyalist. Yobanjin Obsessionado. Played Tonbo Taira at WC III, Isawa Taisho at WC IV, and Daigotsu Yukari at WC V.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:26 pm 
Offline
Daigotsu's Legion
 Profile

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:07 pm
Posts: 14
Well I was very curious from where my gains came from. But most of them were posted in the threads of the events. The only ones I did not know from where they came from were the Library event Which I inferred because it was the only important event that could possibly gave me such big gains both in honor and glory, and of course they came from Koshin who was the GM that run that event.

For the Iai tournament, Konohama posted them in my personal forum (were I had my dice pool and strategies for the Iai)

I even asked once via PM to Saibankan why I did gain a full rank of glory I did not have counted for. I asked if he had make a mistake and of course reduce it if he committed an error. Then he explained from where it did came from. It was not a mistake.

As for PM GMs , most of mine went to STYW (for obvious reasons) and to Tenjin (and after he revealed that he was also Kinuyo , I still regret bothering him too much xD). I did send a couple of PMs to Megumi, to Saibankan mostly for RP reasons. a couple to Benten (jokes) , to Emma-O during my ''duel'' with Atsushi. Inari, Chagatai and Muzaka (as our backups for Chris absences)

As for the GM lurking in our OOC threads. Muzaka and Saibankan started trolling me when I was waiting for Miaka decision. Emma-O joked with us after Kyoko was killed by Atsushi. Tenjin because we need him for the Crab Lot Play as Nishi. etc. Benten also post some things mostly in reference to Rin and Tetsu. But that's it. all were OOC stuff with no reference to the actual game.

_________________
WC IV @ Hiruma Tetsuya

RHS @ Bayushi Tawara; Ryuhei, Ruthless Order of the Spider Monk


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:31 pm 
Offline
Scholar of the Yobanjin
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:45 pm
Posts: 791
It's still easier to justify flagging what you did to people you know than to people who were mostly just ciphers behind screen names...

It took OOC Phoenix misery on the order of a player bailing (during the early Crane contratemps, I believe) and the rest of us legitimately mooting an OOC walkout if we kept getting smacked with the stupid Moto Curse every time we approached the dais for anything at all to get a GM other than Benten to visibly make their presence known in our private forum.

_________________
Phoenix Loyalist. Yobanjin Obsessionado. Played Tonbo Taira at WC III, Isawa Taisho at WC IV, and Daigotsu Yukari at WC V.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:41 pm 
Offline
Daigotsu's Legion
 Profile

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:07 pm
Posts: 14
You should have tried PMing Saibankan. He was very receptive in keeping the gains. At least for my part my the couple of PMs to him were usually replied quickly. And in his honor/glory/status/infamy thread it was explicity written that if you have a question or doubt about your gains send a PM to him. He was keeping track of all the gains and from where they came from. Well if you send him a PM and did not get a reply then I cant defend him if that is your case thou.

Other GMs were not so receptive for obious reason.

Tenjin for example did not replied half my PMs or more (he was not only busy with his job IRL, but he was playing 4 NPCs that had a lot of RP demand). But when he did reply he was cordial and totally open to suggestions. thou I had to admit I was extremely stressed with Miaka's wooing xD.

_________________
WC IV @ Hiruma Tetsuya

RHS @ Bayushi Tawara; Ryuhei, Ruthless Order of the Spider Monk


Last edited by Gulvos on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Questions to the WC Game Masters
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:43 pm 
Offline
Daigotsu's Legion
 Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:05 pm
Posts: 49
While we went about it with preparation, camaraderie and old fashioned team work. By and large, we didn't cause many kerfuffles in our forum.

That atmosphere + Chris/Hand being literally unable to make it to the internet a few days out of the week (seriously, guy has an important job there) meant other gms knew from the start of the game that they'd have to check in on the Crab once and awhile.

When we got into some of the bigger scenes/events as well; not to mention losing 4 characters to character death & 1 to political suicide? I'm going to guess there was some relief that we weren't staging any sort of walk out; but persisting onwards and upwards.


Top
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By John Lee Hooker Ringtones     
Updated By Kieron Thwaites (Ron2K)