Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Winter Court IV - Ikoma Aimi - Ask Me Anything
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:33 am 
Crane Envoy to The Spider

Shiba Gunichi wrote:
I think part of the blame also goes to Shigemitsu for his basic refusal to accept that maybe his infamously hotheaded karo was, in fact, a hothead...

He couldn't not take Ichigiku's side publicly, though with her temper issues a known known it might have behooved Shigemitsu to appoint someone else as his number 2.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:37 am 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

I'm honestly somewhat baffled he made her his karo, truth be told...

And sadly, that conversation between Shigemitsu and Izuna represents the last meaningful stab at cooperation between the Phoenix and the Crane.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:48 pm 
Cultist

It wasn't public! It was a very small meeting - Izuna and Shigemitsu, plus Hayato for testimony, deliberately, to allow him to back down without losing face. Instead, he doubled down, which basically killed off the chance of us working together. We just fell back into non-committal discussions and ignored each other for the rest of Court :-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:52 pm 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

The Bold Karo - Conservative DH was something that the Spider and Crab were both able to pull off with good success. It's a little sad / surprising to hear that the Crane tried this as well, but seemed to fail on the necessary second step.

You have a Karo which rankles people, proposes bold moves, and makes waves. Then the DH steps in, reels their karo back a bit, the karo loses some face but the DH gets to show they have control of their subordinates and only agrees to the things that make the best solutions.

See: Naishi agreeing to the Imperial oversight on the Spider - Unicorn treaty if the Imperials were willing to publicly declare their belief that the Crab will assault the Unicorn (because the Unicorn would never shame themselves by simply standing aside and letting the Crab take the supplies they were selling the Spider).

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

Susumu Naishi in Winter Court 4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:06 pm 

Shiba Samoshii wrote:
It wasn't public! It was a very small meeting - Izuna and Shigemitsu, plus Hayato for testimony, deliberately, to allow him to back down without losing face. Instead, he doubled down, which basically killed off the chance of us working together. We just fell back into non-committal discussions and ignored each other for the rest of Court :-)

>0 non-Cranes = public.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:21 pm 
Cultist

Once more, I am reminded that we don't all play the same game/setting, even if it's called the same thing ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:11 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

sndwurks wrote:
The Bold Karo - Conservative DH was something that the Spider and Crab were both able to pull off with good success. It's a little sad / surprising to hear that the Crane tried this as well, but seemed to fail on the necessary second step.

You have a Karo which rankles people, proposes bold moves, and makes waves. Then the DH steps in, reels their karo back a bit, the karo loses some face but the DH gets to show they have control of their subordinates and only agrees to the things that make the best solutions.

See: Naishi agreeing to the Imperial oversight on the Spider - Unicorn treaty if the Imperials were willing to publicly declare their belief that the Crab will assault the Unicorn (because the Unicorn would never shame themselves by simply standing aside and letting the Crab take the supplies they were selling the Spider).

Meanwhile, the Lion went the other way, with a karo that was friendly and sparkles, and a DH that would crush you.

Hrm.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:17 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

kakita_shiro wrote:
>0 non-Cranes = public.

So the Crane can never admit that their subordinates' excess of zeal does not reflect their Clan's goals or policies to non-Crane?

Certainly explains all the trouble they had...

A question for Wakaimi!

Aimi was the token Lion peacenik... had you been DH, what would you have done, vis a vis the Scorpion conflict?

Last edited by Shiba Gunichi on Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:18 pm 

Shiba Samoshii wrote:
Once more, I am reminded that we don't all play the same game/setting, even if it's called the same thing ;)

I should rephrase; it's really >0 samurai that makes it public.

Shiba Gunichi wrote:
kakita_shiro wrote:
>0 non-Cranes = public.

So the Crane can never admit that their subordinates' excess of zeal does not reflect their Clan's goals or policies to non-Crane?

Certainly explains all the trouble they had...

Like I said, it would have been better to ask someone else to be karo...

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:02 pm 
Black Guard

sndwurks wrote:

I think this pretty well summarises the problem. Shigemitsu's player's instinctive approach was a combative one. Ichigiku's approach was... the same, but more so. So neither of them could serve as a restraining influence on the other.

The fundamental problem in that meeting, though, was that no-one on Team Crane saw any way to interpret Izuna's original remarks as anything but hostile, which made Izuna's response of "YOU should be apologising to ME" come off... poorly. One OOC PM to ask what the Izuna's player was originally trying to convey would have cleared that up... but no such PM was sent. So. We ended up where we did.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:10 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

Shiba Gunichi wrote:
A question for Wakaimi!

Aimi was the token Lion peacenik... had you been DH, what would you have done, vis a vis the Scorpion conflict?

What I -was- doing! Trying to get everyone on board the "Shameful display! wagon to make the Scorpion apologize, back down, make a token offering to help repair the damage that they'd done, and try to bring the war as small as possible. That was a HUGE gamble on my behalf when the other Lions were all about, "Why even give them a chance? STEAMROLL THESE FOOLS" ... I worked -so- -hard- to try and get as many clans as possible on the wagon, but I couldn't get everybody.

Then the Scorpion laughed and threw it back in our face while saying, "You losers. You can dish it out but not take it."

They made the problem -worse-.

(That said, there was an awesome scene planned with our ambassador, but, she never logged in and was even less available, so it was yet another Lion Fail.)

Going for the first Winter Court was my backup plan. The hope is that, by having court in the Lion lands, the Emperor will stop the wars personally. Maybe be close enough to eyeball the Kitsu Tombs and go, "Yeah, they need the Blessing. Make it happen."

Blarg.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:35 pm 

Wakshaani wrote:
Shiba Gunichi wrote:
A question for Wakaimi!

What I -was- doing! Trying to get everyone on board the "Shameful display! wagon to make the Scorpion apologize, back down, make a token offering to help repair the damage that they'd done, and try to bring the war as small as possible. That was a HUGE gamble on my behalf when the other Lions were all about, "Why even give them a chance? STEAMROLL THESE FOOLS" ... I worked -so- -hard- to try and get as many clans as possible on the wagon, but I couldn't get everybody.

Then the Scorpion laughed and threw it back in our face while saying, "You losers. You can dish it out but not take it."

They made the problem -worse-.

(That said, there was an awesome scene planned with our ambassador, but, she never logged in and was even less available, so it was yet another Lion Fail.)

Going for the first Winter Court was my backup plan. The hope is that, by having court in the Lion lands, the Emperor will stop the wars personally. Maybe be close enough to eyeball the Kitsu Tombs and go, "Yeah, they need the Blessing. Make it happen."

Blarg.

"A" for effort though, Softpaws. Maybe next year.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:46 pm 
Black Guard

What was the origin of the nickname "Soft Paws"? Who coined it, and when?

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:50 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

Daidoji Tacticus wrote:
What was the origin of the nickname "Soft Paws"? Who coined it, and when?

Came out of our OOC rooms, pre-day 0. I'm honestly not sure who first coined it, but I could maybe find out. Hrm.

*checks*

Either Kitsu Leiko or, weirdly, my own dang self. Huh.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:16 pm 
In Your Base, Killing Your Dudes

Wakshaani wrote:
Yeah. I was 99% sure that the Scorpion had some kind of goal that read, in essence, "No matter what, no peace with the Lion. Also, keep poking them. Get them as mad as possible. Keep them FURIOUS and I give you all cookies when you get home." Even with only a 1% chance, I figured it was worth a try to try and save thousands of lives.

No dice.

At one point, there was (mostly idle!) chatter about gathering the crew up, breaking out the armor, and just sweeping into the Scorpion embassy in a moment of "Oh, so you think war's allowed anywhere now? Then let's put it to the test!" and cutting down everybody we saw.

Didn't happen!

But it was, at least -very- briefly, talked about.

Not a Clan goal, but a personal one. I had to kind of keep folks on track while I worked my magic on that front. Both myself and my character would have LOVED it if the Lion had stormed the Scorpion Embassy.

That would have been delicious. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:42 pm 

Repeating my second question:

What happened with the Blessing? It was promised to the Lion and then given to the Scorpion, but I was wondering if anyone knew why.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:43 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

There's a reason.

We have no idea what it is.

To say that we were *heartbroken*, however, is a massive understatement.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:34 pm 

Wakshaani wrote:
There's a reason.

We have no idea what it is.

So it just happened with no public suggestion as to why?

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:35 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

kakita_shiro wrote:
So it just happened with no public suggestion as to why?

Certainly seems to be the size of it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:02 pm 
Final Student
 WWW  Profile

I can tell you what happened from the Scorpion side. We had a goal to get the Blessing, which we assumed was granted by the Throne at the end of Court, so we organised support for it. We found out (through spy networking and RP) that it was actually something the Imperial Families had to grant as a Resource, and they were in talks to give it to the Lion.

Kitaiko called in favours to find out that the agreement hadn't been finalised (something to do with the marriage arrangements I believe), and to ensure the Miya Daimyo be present for our petition. She also called in the favour owed by Demiyah that as long as the treaty with the Lion hadn't been officially signed then only the Miya would be allowed speak on the matter when the Scorpion raised it. Thus when we brought it before the Dais the Miya Daimyo was in attendance and the Scorpion publicly showed our need and support. At this time we were made aware that the talks between the Lion and Otomo were ongoing, and if they had signed something then we wouldn't get the Blessing, so we just crossed our fingers and hoped for the best.

A couple of days later Kitaiko was summoned to a meeting with the Miya Daimyo and Otomo Hisoka, where it was implied the Otomo would support the Scorpion (and thus guarantee the Blessing) in return for one of our resources and the hand for Shosuro Rin, which we gladly agreed to, though I still didn't relax until it was officially announced from the Dais.

"I would sooner our clan be numbered less than a hundred than suffer traitors in our midst"
Shosuro Yudoka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:30 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

The Lion side had asked for it privately, had secured support for it, then the Delegation Head of teh Imperials told Chikuma, point blank, "The Blesing is yours", giving her word of honor on the matter and, as far as we knew, that was that. There was no need to put it in writing a sthe top voice of teh delegation said it was ours.

So, when teh Scorpion went to ask for it in public, we never spoke against it on teh grounds that we'd already been told it was ours by the highest-ranking Imperial person. It was a waste of effort, from our view, and we had no interest in getting up in public and getting hammered -again-.

We were surprised to see some people whose support we thought we had NOT go to us, but, these things happen.

We'd also been waiting since Day 2 for a meeting with the Miya Daimyo, which never happened. Asked several times, but never granted it.

And, suddenly, the Blessing was ripped away from us and given to our bitter enemies, after we had the delegation's word that it was ours.

We -still- don't know why.

There was nearly a riot, however, from the remaining Lions when it was announced. They wanted to leap at the Dais and say some ... really really intense things. Didn't happen, thankfully, but having Demiyah's word broken and teh Blessing pulled away was a HUGE slap to the face. Just insanely huge.

And then it goes to our enemies.

Who're the ones who attacked the Tombs in the first place.

Then mocked the Lion over the incident.

And who had already had five other clans promise all manner of economic support to them.

AND is the IMperials helping the Crab-Scorpion Greater CLan mega-alliance, who have both attacked the capital before and who are now the single largest power in ROkugan.

It's utterly head-scratching. We figured that there must have been some kind of major blackmail going on, since the Miya already knew that they'd be getting one of our resources.

But no, it got ripped away, and it was the final straw for the remaining Lion players. They just ... walked out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:15 pm 
Final Student
 WWW  Profile

Wakshaani wrote:
had secured support for it

I've seen you mention this before- what support did the Lion have for the Blessing, other than the Phoenix? Because the Scorpion had the Crab, Crane, Dragon and Spider, the Unicorn told both of us they would remain neutral and the Mantis and MCA didn't want either of us to get it.

I think one of the significant factors in the Scorpion getting the Blessing was the fact that at the same time the Phoenix announced their support for the Lion they acknowledged the Lion were giving them thousands of koku of rice. That did not make the Lion look like they are in desperate need of supplies, regardless of the truth of the matter. And I'd also like to note that despite the claims that the Blessing is always handled in private, the Phoenix support for the Lion was the first public declaration regarding the matter, so the Lion certainly appeared to have no issue with it being dealt with on the Dais.

"I would sooner our clan be numbered less than a hundred than suffer traitors in our midst"
Shosuro Yudoka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:03 pm 
In Your Base, Killing Your Dudes

Wakshaani wrote:
And then it goes to our enemies.

Who're the ones who attacked the Tombs in the first place.

Then mocked the Lion over the incident.

I never saw any mocking over the tombs thing. I saw debate, which ended in the throne calling for witnesses to determine what exactly occurred while condemning the incident but not the motives behind it until those are cleared up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:46 pm 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

Hey Aimi...

I saw a Shadowrun 5th booth at PAX East. Are you there?

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

Susumu Naishi in Winter Court 4