Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Winter Court IV- Tamori Touya - Ask Me Anything
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:30 pm 
<< Your Title Here >> <<< Ask Me How >>>

I will play along!

I think a lot of Spider applied, and many of us got our second choice. Spider is just all the cool kids and everyone wanted it. I think I can answer most of everything, but I purposely tried to post very little during WC. Why? Well, i started off kinda with a harsh view of the Spider in character, and I in no way wanted people to think there was any bias. As the results show, there wasn't. At least I think they show that, since Touya is still very anti-taint even as she is marrying into the Spider.

Post subject: Re: Winter Court IV- Tamori Touya - Ask Me Anything
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:29 pm 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

That is fairly funny... Spider was my second choice (with Crane being the first) but I did put in a note that I wanted to play Atsushi.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:32 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

Here's the question we all want to know the answer to...

Who IS the biological poppa of Touya's baby?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:59 pm 
Crane Envoy to The Spider

Shiba Gunichi wrote:
Who IS the biological poppa of Touya's baby?

YES!

How did the triangle with Tomokazu arise?

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:46 am 

Sadly, in character she doesn't know. And since I really hope this leads to epic story time... it is the one question I won't answer. I am not even sure I know the true answer, but I won't speculate. I kept 1 true secret from WC3, this is my one true secret to keep from WC4 in hopes that it leads somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:49 pm 
Dark Scribe

What I wondered about, because I haven't seen many mention of it, did the Dragon delegation actually play as the Spider's wardens or was your role-play influenced by this?

I remember that the Dragon were asked for input on Mori's punishment, and there was some worry about the Spider/Crab war that one or two Dragon players expressed. But other than that, the Dragon came across as allies rather than as wardens/overseers. I'm just not sure this is what your delegation was aiming for.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:44 pm 
Cultist

I can kind of answer that one. The Dragon/Spider treaty is very much an example of the Dragon acting as wardens. There are two portions of the treaty which work for the Dragon in that manner, and part of the reason we offered them no strings attached.

1) Dragon marry 12 Tamori to the Gyushi, send Tamori Advisors to the Gyushi - This was huge as it allows the Dragon culture to influence heavily the formation of the first non taint influenced school in the Spider. With the amount of Tamori action going on there this heavily plays into both forming and watching this school. Very much in that mandate.

2) The intelligence monks of the Kouken - Yes, the Spider get a peasant intelligence network. But by allowing the Kouken into all Spider holdings, that intelligence will also go the other way to the Dragon from places they formerly had no access.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:02 pm 

To add... this was really the first WC that the Spider were truly flying solo. A lot of our role was to let them fall on their face on their own so to speak. Many of the decisions what to say, and not say, on the dais were impacted by this. But also bear in mind, we as players had no authority over the Spider delegation. While the clan is their wardens, those delegates at court were not in any way underneath the Dragon, as to run it if they were would not have been much fun for many involved, so there is that limit to work within.

We really had some discussion on the Mori issue. I was pretty quick to suggest we step in, but overall the idea was we would make recommendation, and let the delegation handle it themselves. Our options were Seppuku, or send him to the Togashi mountains to learn the error of his ways for a year or so. Both would have gone over far better than what the delegation actually came up with i think. But again, dealing with players it is sometimes difficult to have what is right trump what is fun for a player I guess.

I for one had real trouble with that situation. The Dragon must speak of the taint with the Spider.... on a daily basis in some areas. To treat it like something never spoken of is ridiculous. Like all these years refusing to mention the Kolat, and now look where we are at. They are becoming a threat, and the general public has never even heard the word, so how can they be expected to know any ways to deal with them? Rokugani do that alot, and have always done that with Jigoku, Shadowlands, Taint, etc.... But the Spider and Dragon must talk about it, so this idea of it being forbidden tos peak of really is different for us.

So as a warden of the Spider, i had a vastly different take on the Mori thing. I think it was a horrible breach to say what he did on the dais.... but I in no way think what he said was wrong from the Spider perspective. It was painfully obvious that was not the consensus of the rest of the court however, so I (and the other Dragon) remained silent instead and let it play out. But I kinda wanted to step in and defend him for what he said, but condemn him for where he said it. Slippery slope there....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:36 am 
Obsidian Magistrate

i3ullseye wrote:
We really had some discussion on the Mori issue. I was pretty quick to suggest we step in, but overall the idea was we would make recommendation, and let the delegation handle it themselves. Our options were Seppuku, or send him to the Togashi mountains to learn the error of his ways for a year or so. Both would have gone over far better than what the delegation actually came up with i think. But again, dealing with players it is sometimes difficult to have what is right trump what is fun for a player I guess.

This one is hard on us, but you had no reason to know how, because it was all OOC.

We did discuss seppuku/banishment in our OOC forums during that long long Saturday. A lot. The idea was, since the Dragon banished someone for a far less grave crime, we had to be at least as hard to save face. Emma-O's answers?

Emma-O wrote:
Everyone FUCKING relax and take a deep breath. Step away from the keyboard for a minute. Go get a drink (whatever the hell you want, no judgements here). And lets not do anything stupid. No one quit. No one commit seppeku yet. No one run off and join whatever the equivalent of the Rokugan Foreign Legion is. Just everyone step back and think logically and thoughtfully. Arguing and bickering will only create disunion. And as the clan of Unity, according to a write-up recently submitted, this does not bode well if it continues to spiral out of control. Everyone gets one royal foul-up so Mori this is yours. The Fortunes know Saiga has had his. Atsushi too. Etc. Etc. So lets all relax and come back together and figure a good, clean way out of it. Is that understood?

Emma-O wrote:
Dismiss him from court. Send him to the Boss Lady. Don't ask for his head as it isn't your right in the chain of command (and killing off one of your own is kind of bogus too). Beg mercy from the court, claim something like lack of sleep, or paranoia on Mori's part on his dealings with the horrors of the jungles (fights against the Shadow) whatever you want make it clever but don't give the Crab more joy.

Everyone is just getting stressed with WC is all. So everyone is snapping. It was just his turn.

Emma-O wrote:
What is everyone's problem!?! A seppuku will not solve the problem! How masochistic do you all have to be to think this will fix it? The Regent stepped in to prevent that thread from getting Dragon level out of control. How does anyone not see it? Big consequences from Mori's words sure. Demanding a death? For he hundredth time, NO! But if that's how you want to play it up, if you want to start killing members of your own clan because your not clever or creative enough to find a way out of it, then have at it. I am washing my hands of this whole affair. Good luck...

Pretty much close the debate. Several of us had prepared saving face posts like this one, who never got posted:

Daigotsu Geiko wrote:
Geiko advances to the Dais. He walks slowly to the sacred steps and prostrates himself.

"None here will accept such a petition, and us of the Spider Clan first and foremost. We are the children, the brothers, the sisters, the friends of the victims of the Realm of Evil. Most of us have watched one of those we love fell prey to its ambition and be devoured, becoming a prisoner of their own flesh, enduring eternal torments because of a single instant of bad judgment. We may disagree with the Crab and the Scorpion on many subjects, but not on the need of a barrier between the innocent people of Rokugan and evil itself.

What Daigotsu Mori-san has uttered on these Dais... Is not only an insult against the Pincers. Not just an outrage against generations and generations of courageous men and women who gave their life to keep this darkness at bay. Not even an unique scorn against all what the Empire stands for.

It is also an affront against all the efforts the Spider undertook to be worth of its position of Great Clan. It sends us back decades in the past, in the dark times before the Empress showed us the way. In a few words, this man swept away many years of constant good will. This is not only treason against the Empire, but also against his own Clan, his own family.

Daigotsu Mori-san shamed twice his own blood in a few minutes. Therefore, I humbly request for his own Clan be the one to enact justice upon him. What has been stained by the Spider must be cleaned by the Spider."

He rises to the thoughtless fool:
"Daigotsu Mori-san. You were offered a chance to wash your honor, and you disregarded it! I do not have the power to decide what will happen to you next. But I can at least order this: Go back the embassy immediately. Prostrate yourself before Susumu Kuroko-sama. Hand over your weapons and mons to her. Give her a truthful and accurate report of all what was said there. And wait for her judgment.

Were you not to respect any of these orders to the letter, I would hunt you myself on the charge of high treason.

Now, go!"

He then turns back to the Regent and prostrates himself once again:
"Many have spoken in the aftermath of Mori's crime. They rushed here, only wanting to bring back honor and truth on these steps as swiftly as possible. Some may have done so too impulsively, pronouncing words they now regret. But their heart is pure, and none of them will forget the lesson of this day.

Therefore, I ask for your compassion. Mori's folly has done enough harm. There is no need for several other good samurai to be brought down by it.

If punishments are to be enacted nonetheless for words too hastily spoken as a consequence of this madness, I am ready to take them all upon myself, whether these words originated from someone bearing the name of Kuni, Susumu, Toku or Yasuki."

After that, we tried to put into place a false seppuku, with Mori officially executed but still acting as our undercover assassin under a new identity (masked ronin or something like that), allowing him to actually do his job more easily (he had assassinated no one court during up to that point). But it never got done because the GMs had entered their most difficult period (taking care of the fire + preparing the Chase), and had no time for this particular subplot.

It's probably the point I am the more bitter about the whole of Winter Court. There was a Spider gaffe, OK, but the GMs pretty much cut all possibilities we had to turn it in an advantageous way, only leaving the worst (the Regent banishing Mori herself).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:28 am 
Obsidian Magistrate

i3ullseye wrote:
Sadly, in character she doesn't know. And since I really hope this leads to epic story time... it is the one question I won't answer. I am not even sure I know the true answer, but I won't speculate. I kept 1 true secret from WC3, this is my one true secret to keep from WC4 in hopes that it leads somewhere.

On that front, do you -actually- know? Like, in her write-up it mentions it, and you're sitting on that (Totally awesome!) or is it just a matter of , "Well, looking at things, odds are that it's..."

Just curious, and a note that it's a GREAT plotpoint. Surprised that more ladies of court didn't worry about similar issues. There were obi starting to pile up there at the end, reprecussions be damned.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:23 am 

The write up said nothing about it. I worked with a few folks before WC kicked off to make an interesting triangle (Square?) as it were. The GMs then factored their decision based on the options I played against, and extra special sauce. I do know their result, but as with anything it can certainly change with the needs of the story.

As for the WC3 secret that could have gotten me killed.... apparently the card sets at the printer ignored that fact. Kenta was a female disguised as a male the whole time. But then mid WC3, a card set came out with the Spider getting monks that were openly female, so........ it must not have been the big deal the canon character write up led us to believe.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:57 am 

Aw crap. I knew I should have asked earlier.... looks like they got my final points wrong, so I wonder how many others were wrong? The Glory gains they got correct, but they missed either 1 or 5 points of XP for me, and never accounted for our final promotions after Mirokens death. :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:35 am 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

Looking at the chart? I see a bunch of smaller discrepancies, and questionable rulings. Ultimately, Shibatsu won the Court, but with the top two Clans (Crab & Scorpion) posting such high gains? It was not enough to swing it.

For example, the Spider got 0 points for their "Conclude a Goal with the Imperial Families" Goal, despite securing 4 positions in the Bureaucracy. Why? Because it was not from the Imperial Families. Likewise, the Crab got full points for their "Prevent support for the Spider in their war except from the Dragon" despite us getting a fleet from the Mantis, 20k in food, and 12 Shugenja from the Unicorn which counts as personnel.

Is it worth arguing about now? Probably not. So long as the personal / Additional Goals we achieved count, that's all I care about.

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

Susumu Naishi in Winter Court 4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:09 pm 

I wish they would have posted that to the forum, and let each player do a review on their own numbers before submitting it. I think the numbers might be off enough to actually matter, seeing as how close things actually were.