Games: Kemari 2
Investigation 1
Sincerity (Honesty) 3
Tea Ceremony 2
Perform: Song 2
Lore: Theology (Emma-O) 2

Advantages
Great Potential: Craft: Weaponsmith
Social Position (Gyushi Master Swordsmith)

Disadvantages
Doubt: Calligraphy
Weakness: Stamina

Spells Affinity: Fire/Deficiency: Water
Free Raise for any spell with the Craft keyword.
Sense, Commune, Summon
R1: Fire Kami's Blessing, Katana of Fire, The Raging Forge, Minor Binding, Soul of Stone, Legacy of Kaze-no-Kami
R2: The Fires From Within, Mental Quickness, Mists of Illusion
R3: Hungry Blade, Ravenous Swarms
R4: The Mending Forge

Insight 175
XP 168

Background
Gyushi Kageto is part of a very small and very new family that were once a vassal family of the Daigotsu. After the Chuda betrayed the Spider when they were given Great Clan status by Empress Iweko I, a small non-tainted faction within the family forsook their former line and swore fealty to the Clan Champion Daigotsu Kanpeki. The head of the family, the former Chuda Gyushi was a craftsman and an armourer of the Chuda family and by default the Spider Clan came to possess a Juhin-Kenzoku (i.e. a forging family) like all the other Great Clans. While Daigotsu Gyushi would be best described as an average shugenja, he was an exceptional smith of weapons and armor. Over the years he would select one, maybe two students in the fledgling Gyushi shugenja school and teach them his techniques.

When Kageto came of age, he was personally selected by Gyushi to learn the techniques of a mastersmith. Years and years of hard labor and strict teachings opened Kageto's eyes to untold possibilities when forging blades, armor and other weapons. Every blade sang to him as he forged it. A chorus of kami clamored to be hammered free from the lumps of steel he was given. Every strike of his hammer ushered forth endless possibilities of weapons never before conceived. On the day of his gempukku, Kageto, as a final test, forged a perfect wakazashi. While this would have been extraordinary in its own right to Gyushi's surprise it was awakened, it had become a nemurani. A blade that seemingly tapped into the inner fire of the wielder. Kageto, with the permission of Gyushi presented this blade as a gift to Daigotsu Kanpeki upon meeting him. Kanpeki recognized the potential within Kageto and sent him back to Rokugan to aide his clan there. Over the years Kageto had built quite a reputation for himself amongst his clanmates despite the fact that the Gyushi family is incredibly small in number. In his spare time, Kageto likes to sculpt using unused metal. Using a combination of magic and pure brute force, he uses it as an outlet for his moods from morose to jubilant. A handful of works have made their way in prominent chambers of important Spider families, or so he tells people.

Recently, Kanpeki has bestowed upon him the title of Master Swordsmith, a title that he was only too elated to receive. As part of this promotion, Kanpeki charged Kageto to go to Winter Court and represent not only the Spider but the Gyushi family also. It is his intention to show that the Spider can have ties to the kami that do not involve maho and that even this small family can be powerful indeed.

Also a present from Susumu Kuroko was a box.

Regardless, inside the box are pieces from every clan sacred weapon including the Spider.

Each piece is a little larger then the palm of your hand:

Kaiu Blade
Kakita Blade
Twin Sisters Blade
Akodo Blade
Storm Kama
Inquisitor's Strike
Shosuro Blade
Black Steel Blade (pre-Spider as a Great Clan)
Moto Scimitar

For whatever reason these pieces weigh nearly nothing while in the box.

There is a note included:

Perhaps you can learn what makes them so strong and find a weakness within them so we can destroy them.

-DK

"I am now officially in awe of Kageto's player for such an awesome quirk on our shuggiesmiths."

Post subject: Re: Winter Court IV ask Gyushi Kageto Mostly Anything
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:00 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

It was a great regret that I did not follow through with you on the connection we had set up between our characters pre-court. Our paths did inadvertently cross in the end with Chiwa being the owner of Kokuhatsu.

Two questions!

- What aid might you have requested from the Unicorn to help further establish your family? I know we shipped some nameless Iuchi your way.

- What actions and responses would Kageto have taken if he learnt the full reasons why Ishiki had passed Kokuhatsu to Chiwa?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:03 am 
Black Guard

Kageto would have really asked her more for the balancing act of being a priest versus something else since at first he didn't even have a single lore skill outside the lore:shadowlands.

I'm not sure how he would have responded...mainly because I don't really know them....

"I am now officially in awe of Kageto's player for such an awesome quirk on our shuggiesmiths."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:49 am 
Dark Scribe

Were you cast as a support character and only later decided to play a more prominent role within the Spider? I remember that you and Saiga's player were not posting much during the first IC days.

Moreover, there were two Gyushi blades at Winter Court, one with a crimson blade, the other with a black one. The colours aside, was there anything else special about these blades? Did they host awakened spirits or somesuch? I doubt that the Gyushi blades will become sacred blades to the Spider like Black Steel or Obsidian blades, but teh Gyushi were named in one breath with the Kaiu smiths, so what's special about the blades?

Did you learn anything more about the Gyushi family and their role in the Spider Clan than the short sidebar in the Book of Earth?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:44 am 
Black Guard

Audax wrote:
Were you cast as a support character and only later decided to play a more prominent role within the Spider? I remember that you and Saiga's player were not posting much during the first IC days.

Moreover, there were two Gyushi blades at Winter Court, one with a crimson blade, the other with a black one. The colours aside, was there anything else special about these blades? Did they host awakened spirits or somesuch? I doubt that the Gyushi blades will become sacred blades to the Spider like Black Steel or Obsidian blades, but teh Gyushi were named in one breath with the Kaiu smiths, so what's special about the blades?

Did you learn anything more about the Gyushi family and their role in the Spider Clan than the short sidebar in the Book of Earth?

as far as i was aware they are just colourful but i pm'd megumi during the oni fight and the crimson blade would do more damage against the oni but not as much as jade or crystal :) though i never got told off for making them act or influence the character so maybe ??

honestly its more of a fluff aspect than one the GMs had to worry about :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:16 pm 
Black Guard

Audax wrote:

Moreover, there were two Gyushi blades at Winter Court, one with a crimson blade, the other with a black one. The colours aside, was there anything else special about these blades? Did they host awakened spirits or some such? I doubt that the Gyushi blades will become sacred blades to the Spider like Black Steel or Obsidian blades, but teh Gyushi were named in one breath with the Kaiu smiths, so what's special about the blades?

The actual mechanics of both blades where never given to me. BUT both were hand waved by the GMs to have extra effects espically Kokuhatsu versus the oni. Tsubaki's player got some bonus damage I think.

Sadly mostly I worked from the angle that I was the Rokugan side of the family and was basically setting everything up. Kageto was supposed to head to the East Hub and setup shop there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:18 pm 
Black Guard

Whoa now, first you need to stop by the Crane lands for a year and show the Daidoji how to make pikes. There's a whole article in our treaty just for that :P

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:19 pm 
Black Guard

Well there is his year long "honeymoon" haha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:21 pm 
Black Guard

A honeymoon in Crane territory? Excellent choice, good sir :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:24 pm 
Black Guard

I figured it would be. Plus with a year long buffer hopefully to let the new emperor thing die down. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:25 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

Gyushi Kageto wrote:
Kageto would have really asked her more for the balancing act of being a priest versus something else since at first he didn't even have a single lore skill outside the lore:shadowlands.

Cool beans, and another "damn, that would have been great' plot thread to add to my pile of regrets. :)

I played Chiwa too as having a similar debate. As a priest, we venerate the kami and counsel others on matters of philosophy and theology. As a craftsman, we press-gang the kami into murder duty. It's why she had trouble with casual invocations of magic. E.g. invoking the fire kami to light a cigar. She was also a courier, which again is about as worldly a job as any and so quite diametric to priesthood.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:36 am 
<< Your Title Here >> <<< Ask Me How >>>

Gyushi Kageto wrote:
Well there is his year long "honeymoon" haha

For the record.... Touya will in no way accept pulling a bath tub in next to your forge as a 'sauna retreat'.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:57 am 
Black Guard

Kageto doesn't have as much respect for non fire kami as your character seems to have, fire kami are his bros as he sings to them in the forge to keep his fire burning hotter than any other and fluff wise why I imagine his weapons are getting that "better than normal but not quite jade" effect. As for more interactions yeah I should/would have loved to more interactions but I sequestered myself to much/often.

Touya doesn't have to worry about him moving one. He was working with that Ide to create a roman style tub for any home!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:09 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

I'll always be bummed that politics prevented Kageto and Taisho from doing any real bonding over their shared pyromania... did we ever interact, IC, after the Taryu-Jiai?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:55 pm 
<< Your Title Here >> <<< Ask Me How >>>

Well, stat wise.... I was real excited for the Taryu-Jiai. Looking over the posted character sheets we have seen, Touya would have been a monster. But then they went and changed it to avatars, so having high earth to resist wounds didn't matter. Ah well, I opted out for maternity reasons anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:46 pm 
Black Guard

No they really didn't. That was just before the two delegations accidently/negligently distancing themselves so I don't think outside of the day 30 funerals he ever laid eyes on Taisho again.

I was NOT proud of Kageto's showing at the Taryu....but he is smith first so his stats reflect it. Plus with Tomo's high stats and Heart of Vengeance: Spider it was pretty much a loss from the get go. He burned alot of void on it and I didn't stacked decks and all that. I just tried to ensure I RPd Kageto showing no animosity toward the Crab despite theirs towards him, as if he was above all that nonsense just like the Katana cares not for whom it cuts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:04 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

Gyushi Kageto wrote:
I was NOT proud of Kageto's showing at the Taryu....but he is smith first so his stats reflect it. Plus with Tomo's high stats and Heart of Vengeance: Spider it was pretty much a loss from the get go. He burned alot of void on it and I didn't stacked decks and all that.

Hey, Taisho (Isawa. Shugenja.) also got bounced in the first round, and Zokusei didn't even have a mad-on for the Phoenix! The dice HATED me any time I tried to inflict damage.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:56 pm 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

The dice did not favor the Spider very much at all.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:52 am 
Obsidian Magistrate

Let's see...

Bad:
Taryu => Out first turn
Ikebana => Last place
Bower => All out first turn
Iai => All out qualifiers

Meh:
Sumai => Around middle
Horse race => As bad as everyone*

Third place:
Banquet => Yuna had go on for 6 rounds

Second place (but still lost):
Bushido contest => ???

Victory:
/

The only time when the gods of dices smiled on the Spider was Atsushi's death duel. We were really fighting destiny itself this very court.

*Joke: Inari misread my Horsemanship roll the first time (read 25 instead of 23). Had I not correct him, Geiko would have defeat Tadama and access the finals... What? It's my character who has almost no honor. The player had to play fair!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:01 am 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

Kinda sums up the Phoenix in everything but the Sumai...

EDIT: Oh, and Taisho's ridiculously good luck at evading harm...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:21 am 
Obsidian Magistrate

Remember that if Atsushi's victory was a great blessing in term of RP and real people organization (minus two players for the Crab), it was a net loss in term of points. He had to use his Dark Paragon of Will, losing more Honor than he earned Glory, and the Crab apparently gained Honor and XP for the burial, for reasons*.

Meanwhile, the Sumai victory was a net gain. Even if Michi did suffer for bad luck at first (two defeats with his stats was pretty unlikely).

But the most unlucky people were probably the Mantis. I don't remember any time they went lucky, and two of them drank at the Cup of Defeat.

*A totally unrelated question: Are eulogy expected at a rokugani burial? I had one half-prepared for Naishi, but I never posted it because it did not sound right in the flow of the thread.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:39 am 
Black Guard

I do not believe eulogies are customary in Rokugan, no. The Crab have their custom of naming a Voice, but that's the closest I know of and they're the only ones.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:54 am 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

I had Taira do a Fremen-style eulogy in WC III, but presented it as something he picked up from the Ivindi.

Rokugani funerals are... iffy. Generally the dead are memorialized at other times.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:16 am 
Black Guard

Kageto voiced his concerns over celebrating Niashi's sudden death after being missing for days to the one he knew was searching the same shadows, Tomokazu. He missed or was upset more with Saiga's passing. He would have rather it been himself to take in the means to destroy such uncontrolled evil. He doesn't want the taint but feels that it leaving the clans control makes them weaker. A balance I had him mention alot.

Our guys kicked butt, IRL we would be scolded for not completing our tasks in public. In private we'd get some great kudos for fulfilling the spirit of the tasks as the poster children of new style clan. We made great PR pieces even Mori's outburst and our attempts to squash it gently. If this was all real we'd be getting christmas bonus rice this year! :poof: