Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Winter Court IV - Susumu Naishi - Ask Me Anything
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:03 am 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

Howdy, my fellow Spider!

I am David Gordon, a writer for the Cardboard Republic. I was a delegate for your clan this Winter Court, and I played Susumu Naishi.

And this is my AMA for this.

There are a couple things still on going that I cannot discuss for journalistic reasons, but otherwise... everything is on the docket.

What do you want to know?

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

Susumu Naishi in Winter Court 4

Post subject: Re: Winter Court IV - Susumu Naishi - Ask Me Anything
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:11 am 
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan

Where did the Utosan ochi idea come from. It threw the unicorn a huge curveball and was pivotal for a number of deals we made and how we interacted with the spider from the unicorn side of the issue.

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:13 am 
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan

Also, did Doburu's gift for the susumu at the end of court end up working out for you guys.

I know I spoke to Kuroko but wasn't sure the Spider got everything from that.

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:25 am 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

As someone who barely interacted with Naishi at all...

How frustrating was it for a dedicated courtier with a spy network to have all these random dudes popping into the conspiracy threads based on "knowing a guy"?

'Cause Taisho didn't so much discover the conspiracy plot as have it handed to him.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:34 am 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

TheItsyBitsySpider wrote:
Where did the Utosan ochi idea come from. It threw the unicorn a huge curveball and was pivotal for a number of deals we made and how we interacted with the spider from the unicorn side of the issue.

In the Spider Forum before we were given our goals, we were brainstorming what we wanted to get out of this Winter Court. The top of our items was "A Holding in the Empire." Which I, jokingly, suggested should be Otosan Uchi.

And then we decided that... why joke about it? And Takada's player really liked the idea, and chose to go forward with it. So, it was Takada's player who really took this one to heart.

Also, did Doburu's gift for the susumu at the end of court end up working out for you guys.

I know I spoke to Kuroko but wasn't sure the Spider got everything from that.

I have no idea, and I doubt we will know until Susumu / Ide Doburu gets printed or there is a fiction talking about it.

Shiba Gunichi wrote:
As someone who barely interacted with Naishi at all...

How frustrating was it for a dedicated courtier with a spy network to have all these random dudes popping into the conspiracy threads based on "knowing a guy"?

'Cause Taisho didn't so much discover the conspiracy plot as have it handed to him.

For me? Not frustrating at all. But I am a VERY pro-inclusive player, despite playing a PC who VERY MUCH tried to keep people out of the Conspiracy Plot. It was not because I wanted to deny them fun OOCly, but because I knew how much a headache it was for the AGMs to handle that sort of thing, it was VERY ICly dangerous, and ultimately not a central plot to the game. Participation would not have netted that much glory or change the nature of things that much. It was mostly there because of characters like Ifedayo and myself who REALLY wanted Investigation plot.

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:51 am 
Black Guard

i have one .. why didnt you write to nori or mari

i know you had no idea what would happen to you... but naishi is smart why didnt she say good bye in a letter ??

also i fear i will never know the truth on naishi so with the conspiracy epilogue i noticed you were close to the crane lands it would be BRILLIANT for asina and yukihiro to bump into her on their travels

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:02 am 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

DukeMelvin wrote:

i know you had no idea what would happen to you... but naishi is smart why didnt she say good bye in a letter ??

Because Naishi did not want to put them in harm's way unduly, and she did not think she was going to be killed in the warehouse. She knew it was a possibility, but she did not know.

Also, she knew that nothing she could write would make Mari be okay with her death. And Nori... she had gotten Nori sent to the Dragon lands. And she had her personal journal, written in Mekhem and cyphered in Ivindi, to be given to him on his gempukku. The journal explains everything Naishi knows about the Kolat, and pretty clearly tells him that running from them won't save him.

He will have to fight.

DukeMelvin wrote:
also i fear i will never know the truth on naishi so with the conspiracy epilogue i noticed you were close to the crane lands it would be BRILLIANT for asina and yukihiro to bump into her on their travels

Sadly, if Naishi ran into Asina and Yukihiro in the Crane Lands, she would avoid them. The last thing she could afford is to get recognized by someone from her past. However, if they are in the Crane lands, and Naishi needs an exit?

You better believe she would tap those she can trust to extract her if needed.

Also, there would totally be a gift at their wedding from a travelling merchant.

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:06 am 
Black Guard

sndwurks wrote:
DukeMelvin wrote:

Because Naishi did not want to put them in harm's way unduly, and she did not think she was going to be killed in the warehouse. She knew it was a possibility, but she did not know.

Also, she knew that nothing she could write would make Mari be okay with her death. And Nori... she had gotten Nori sent to the Dragon lands. And she had her personal journal, written in Mekhem and cyphered in Ivindi, to be given to him on his gempukku. The journal explains everything Naishi knows about the Kolat, and pretty clearly tells him that running from them won't save him.

He will have to fight.

DukeMelvin wrote:

Sadly, if Naishi ran into Asina and Yukihiro in the Crane Lands, she would avoid them. The last thing she could afford is to get recognized by someone from her past. However, if they are in the Crane lands, and Naishi needs an exit?

You better believe she would tap those she can trust to extract her if needed.

Also, there would totally be a gift at their wedding from a travelling merchant.

you know that makes alot of sense :) that chat reading it hurt so much ...

it is smarter to not let them know... good point :) sorry i was just curious :) and awhhh but also yaayayyyy :) i will help you escape dont worry ;) sneeky new crane one day or missing van eh...question the emerald magistrates wife... NO carry on...

yaaaay secret naishi gift :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:55 am 
Obsidian Magistrate

What was with the tongue twisters? Was Naishi's dad teaching her Kolat command phrases as a child?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:07 am 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

AshandEmbers wrote:
What was with the tongue twisters? Was Naishi's dad teaching her Kolat command phrases as a child?

As was hinted at in several sections, Susumu Naishi was born to the Suio vassal family of the Ide. Her father carried coded phrases in different languages to relay the instructions of Master Roc (Akodo Kobi) along the Ki-Rin's Path to Kolat operatives working in the Colonies. The Kolat had instructed him to program Naishi as a Kolat sleeper, and that was why she was learning the activation phrases.

Naishi's father, however, did not want his daughter becoming the tool of the Kolat. So he intentionally interfered with the sleeper programming, giving Naishi a false sleeper personality that she unknowingly used the Kolat phrases to call up in her own mind to protect her from the Kolat. Naishi's father was assassinated by a member of a rival Kolat cell, who was planning on moving in to claim his mercantile interests before Miroken exposed him as just a greedy merchant.

It wasn't until years later that Naishi learned how to use the nursery rhymes and memetic devices her father taught her to shield her thoughts from the Kolat and use their own programming against them.

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:02 pm 
Dark Scribe

I tremendously enjoyed following Naishi, especially when she co-ordinated with Takada.

While talking about Tamori who will join the Gyushi in another thread, I remembered that the Mantis also offered 12 (?) shugenja to join the Gyushi. But later this was dropped. Because the Spider couldn't pay the dowry and pay the dowry for the Eastern Hub Treaty?

Shugenja are considered rare and valuable, especially to the Spider who have so few. So why did we not have a treaty that includes 12 Yoritomo shugenja?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:20 am 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

Audax wrote:
I tremendously enjoyed following Naishi, especially when she co-ordinated with Takada.

While talking about Tamori who will join the Gyushi in another thread, I remembered that the Mantis also offered 12 (?) shugenja to join the Gyushi. But later this was dropped. Because the Spider couldn't pay the dowry and pay the dowry for the Eastern Hub Treaty?

Shugenja are considered rare and valuable, especially to the Spider who have so few. So why did we not have a treaty that includes 12 Yoritomo shugenja?

Got it in one, actually.

We also were running the risk of not having unTainted Daigotsu for the Yoritomo to marry into, and the dowries being paid to the Dragon and Unicorn were going to be hard enough to meet. When the Yoritomo did not bring it up, we made an askance mention of "things brought before the dais". Since the Mantis never gave us an exact number, merely a promise of support through marriage? They politely ignored our reference and went forward with offering us a merchant fleet and East Hub Village.

Takada and I decided that we actually needed the city and the ships more than the shugenja. The Gyushi family was only 12 members or so strong BEFORE this Winter Court. Coming back with 36 new shugenja was not more important than 24 new shugenja from two "Magic Item" traditions and a trade hub in the Empire.

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:50 pm 
In Your Base, Killing Your Dudes

I sadly didn't get much RP time in with Naishi.

In hindsight, if she could change something about her involvement in the Kolat plot thread what would it be? Any missteps? Anyone you would have been more involved with? Not aggressive enough or too aggressive? (those questions are just examples to get the old brain box churning)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:44 pm 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

Pekkle wrote:
I sadly didn't get much RP time in with Naishi.

In hindsight, if she could change something about her involvement in the Kolat plot thread what would it be? Any missteps? Anyone you would have been more involved with? Not aggressive enough or too aggressive? (those questions are just examples to get the old brain box churning)

I would not have volunteered to be kidnapped.

As an explanation, Winter Court was originally scheduled to end on February 9. I had a commitment at TempleCon from February 5 to February 8, running events for New Dark Ages (the guys who publish Unhallowed Metropolis). So with the Warehouse Scene on Saturday, January 31st happening, I figured this would be a good exit for Naishi. I would be occupied that last week anyways, so getting moved to the side would let other people step in and get some awesome spotlight at the last bit while I focused on getting our write up done.

Then the scene did not resolve until Wednesday, while I was at a concert in Boston, and Winter Court stretched out two more weeks. I am confident that had I been there for those two more weeks? We would not have failed our Imperial Families objective. Also, it was two weeks of RP with some of the awesome people from these boards that I missed out on. There could have been Naishi - Aimi conversations, even!

Regarding the whole Investigation plot line in general? I am not going to be building an investigator again if I play in Winter Court V. It is a little too dependent on the AGM's and doesn't really get you any glory. Not that I regret Naishi's story at all. I just think I could have done more for the Spider as a dedicated political character.

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:17 am 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

sndwurks wrote:
Regarding the whole Investigation plot line in general? I am not going to be building an investigator again if I play in Winter Court V. It is a little too dependent on the AGM's and doesn't really get you any glory. Not that I regret Naishi's story at all. I just think I could have done more for the Spider as a dedicated political character.

Yep... not that the conspiracy plot didn't have some rewards of its own, but next time? No magistrate, no spymaster for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:56 am 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

Can we get some examples? The only one I know of was Naishi's plan to assassinate the tortoise if Atsushi died...

Susumu Naoru had about a half-dozen irons in the fire, as did Daigotsu Kurogane. Unfortunately, the former quit around the time as Daigotsu Mori's courtsplosion, and the latter died. We were the three biggest schemers, and I think Naoru's player got burned OOCly because he did not see what Mori said as being wrong.

Naoru's big scheming was using the Crane and the Otomo against one another to try to play them both and wind up in a place where both were relying on him to betray the other, and then keep them in our pockets. He had other things in motion, but I cannot remember what.

And to be fair to the biggest anti-Taint Spider Clan member we had, Daigotsu Geiko was WRITTEN as being vehemently anti-Taint and unwillingly pressed into the service of the Spider Clan. So, his player kept fairly close to his character history.

As for my own schemes... I put a Gyushi shugenja as a permanent guest of the Boar Clan (with full knowledge on what's ACTUALLY in those mountains), got us East Hub Village through an entirely tangental manipulation (I mentioned to the Crane that we might take that as a stepping stone to Otosan Uchi, if only the Mantis would give it to us, and then... well...), created the Progressive Alliance SOLELY to get three of our Trade Pacts passed the dais in one go, and had Naishi not been disappeared at the end? I would have used my leverage on the Crane to get Suzume Shindo named as the betrothed of Susumu Kuroko's bodyguard, who was about as evil as you could passably get in the Spider Clan without actually being Tainted by something.

I also made one of Susumu Takada's sworn enemies an active ally of the Spider Clan, but due to that player doing what they did... I really doubt that we will ever see that mentioned.

The only WTF moment I dislike from the spider delegation was trying to ally with the scorpion against the goju as that was completely against what most spiders actually wanted.

This was entirely Daigotsu Mori. He wanted to break up the Pincer Alliance by "giving the Scorpion Clan a better offer". He claimed to have orders from the Big K himself to try to get us out of the alliance with the Shadow Dragon. There were many people in the delegation who strenuously objected to this, but Mori's player made it his purpose to make this happen. And we did not want to be a dick to him.

Until the Courtsplosion. But both Takada's player and I were AFK that weekend, which is part of why it went as nuclear as it did.

Since we were on the topic, I heard a rumor that the Spider could have a goju assassinate a player as a clan resourse. Is that true and if so why did characters like Yatsuki Tono survive to the end of WC with such a powerful ability... Unless it was used and I didn't know about it.

An early gank of Tono could have changed the entire face of the overall spider's performance this court. It's just something I was wondering.

If we had had this, we would not have killed Tono. We would have killed Aizawa.

That was, actually, supposed to be Mori's other purpose in our delegation. Takada was going to use him as a one use assassin at some point, but then the Courtsplosion happened, and this all got mucked up.

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:54 am 
Dances with Oni

What's this "courtsplosion" I've seen a few references to?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:33 am 
Crane Envoy to The Spider

vlad3theimpaler wrote:

Daigotsu Mori, an otherwise inconspicuous character, announced to the Imperial Court that the Taint was beneficial to the natural order or something similar (someone will correct me). This leads to an obvious uproar and he is eventually given the "honor" of working at the Second Pit.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:00 am 
Black Guard

For reasons I cannot now recall specifically but which were quite daft, Daigotsu Mori decided to argue from the Dais, in front of the Imperial Regent and Chancellor, that now that the Iweko-Daigotsu pact had made the Taint no longer contagious, it was a good thing and Jigoku was a positive part of the Empress' dominion. This went over... well, comparisons to lead balloons and chocolate kettles come to mind. And Mori would not shut up. And the people with the authority to order him to do so were AFK. So it fell to Daigotsu Geiko and Susumu Yuna (apologies if I've forgotten anyone else who was involved) to vehemently disown him, ask him to stop talking, and beg the Regent not to judge the entire Spider Clan by his behaviour. After much back and forth, the Regent ruled that Mori's punishment would be to die fighting at the Second Pit, under Scorpion command... which in practice means being tortured to death for whatever information he can give them about the Spider.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:33 pm 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

sndwurks wrote:
Since we were on the topic, I heard a rumor that the Spider could have a goju assassinate a player as a clan resourse. Is that true and if so why did characters like Yatsuki Tono survive to the end of WC with such a powerful ability... Unless it was used and I didn't know about it.

An early gank of Tono could have changed the entire face of the overall spider's performance this court. It's just something I was wondering.

If we had had this, we would not have killed Tono. We would have killed Aizawa.

That was, actually, supposed to be Mori's other purpose in our delegation. Takada was going to use him as a one use assassin at some point, but then the Courtsplosion happened, and this all got mucked up.

From what I understood Takada was written with a Goju Assassin as an ally and not as a clan resource.

Last edited by Daigotsu Atsushi on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:47 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

vlad3theimpaler wrote:

As an aside (the specific instance has been correctly laid out) it seemed like we had some sort of Insert-Clan-Here shaming debacle every friggin' day.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:15 pm 
Black Guard

Hmm. Let's see what I recall...

Crab: Nope. Tono ran a very tight ship.

Crane: Ditto. Possibly too tight, we succumbed to groupthink on several critical issues, but we have no serious public blowups.

Dragon: Oh dearie dearie me. The Dragon set the trend, all others were just imitators.

Imps: Unless you count Kyosuta's perpetually frustrated attempts to duel people to the death... not really?

Lion: Aimi's misstep over the Scorpion/Crane treaty was... unfortunate. Not least because she was trying to avoid a public scene over it.

Mantis: Not that I recall?

Phoenix: Unless you count most of the delegation walking out on Izuna while she told the Moto to commit blasphemy and/or die... not really? And Izuna, for reasons that continue to escape me, got away with that with no public opprobrium at all.

Scorpion: Nope.

Spider: See above.

Unicorn: Nope.

So, three out of ten factions suffered major public debacles as a result of missteps on their part. That's a lot more than I'd expect for people at the Imperial Winter Court, but it's not "every day".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:39 am 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

Kakita Βurei's unsolicited poetry doesn't count for anything?

Demiyah's coming out a weeeee bit too strong in the Phoenix's defense (as I recall, it might have been some other incident where she basically managed to insult one or more entire delegations)?

Phoenix's first petition where we basically botched our support for the Lion getting the Βlessing?

Βayushi Karyudo joining the "kick the Phoenix" dogpile, only to get chewed out because he admitted he actually had no background whatsoever in the topic at hand?

Not every disaster involved a multi-person meltdown. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:45 am 
Crane Envoy to The Spider

It wasn't on the dais, but Kakita Ichigiku vs. Asako Izuna was pretty close to a meltdown.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:11 am 
Black Guard

Shiba Gunichi wrote:
Kakita Βurei's unsolicited poetry doesn't count for anything?

Demiyah's coming out a weeeee bit too strong in the Phoenix's defense (as I recall, it might have been some other incident where she basically managed to insult one or more entire delegations)?

Phoenix's first petition where we basically botched our support for the Lion getting the Βlessing?

Βayushi Karyudo joining the "kick the Phoenix" dogpile, only to get chewed out because he admitted he actually had no background whatsoever in the topic at hand?

Not every disaster involved a multi-person meltdown. ;)

...you are indeed correct. I don't know how I forgot those. Especially Burei's.

*hisses angrily*

It was indeed the Phoenix that Demiyah shoved her leg into mouth in defence of. "The Imperial Families despise the way this was presented."

And Karyudo's... yeah. He specifically listed all the possibly-relevant areas of which he knew nothing. Clever.

kakita_shiro wrote:
It wasn't on the dais, but Kakita Ichigiku vs. Asako Izuna was pretty close to a meltdown.

*twitch, twitch* Sorry, I think I have lingering PTSD associated with that incident and what followed...

There was not shaming of any Clan involved there, though. Small mercies.