Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: [EP] Evil Portents Spider Previews
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:16 pm 
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan

Audax wrote:

I miss courtly characters, but with Shibatsu, Takuan, Kuroko or Yunmen, Naishi and other WC characters, we have plenty to choose from.

What are you talking about? We got Endo ;)

(note that he might actually be amazing in Susumu, I'll begin testing quickly)

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:17 pm 
Dark Rhetoric

as a member of Team Naysayer, i guess its time to bust out the Sriracha and eat my hat. and i do so in happy anticipation of future such meals next set and in onyx. There is not a bum card in this batch of previews, and i might even go so far as to say that they will all (the personalities at least, and most of the strats) see regular play. thats INSANE. when was the last time we could say that?! ninjas has LEAPT into viability. if i have ANYTHING to complain about, its that there wasn't a duel in our previews, and as has been pointed out, thats likely because they'll be previews in the dragon or crane previews on the 21st and 23rd (bummer). Compared to the past, that is a PITTANCE of a complaint.

this is on top of the fact that the art, which has been increasingly good the last few sets, is exceptionally good i think in this one. AND ITS YUHMI AND A DUELIST. madness.

so thanks design team. i may bitch and moan, but credit where credits due, this is a great batch of cards and they are MOST welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:30 pm 
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan

daigotsu cielago wrote:
as a member of Team Naysayer, i guess its time to bust out the Sriracha and eat my hat. and i do so in happy anticipation of future such meals next set and in onyx. There is not a bum card in this batch of previews, and i might even go so far as to say that they will all (the personalities at least, and most of the strats) see regular play. thats INSANE. when was the last time we could say that?! ninjas has LEAPT into viability. if i have ANYTHING to complain about, its that there wasn't a duel in our previews, and as has been pointed out, thats likely because they'll be previews in the dragon or crane previews on the 21st and 23rd (bummer). Compared to the past, that is a PITTANCE of a complaint.

this is on top of the fact that the art, which has been increasingly good the last few sets, is exceptionally good i think in this one. AND ITS YUHMI AND A DUELIST. madness.

so thanks design team. i may bitch and moan, but credit where credits due, this is a great batch of cards and they are MOST welcome.

I'm going to agree.

They even gave us Yuhmi to perfectly counter Tadaka, I like that.

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:47 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

TheItsyBitsySpider wrote:
Your getting your wish to remove the council! I'm so happy for you! ;)

Hey, Shunryu's safe in the Colonies (still figuring out how that's "safe"). Koiso (despite being the poster girl for a lot of the Council's arrogance and removal from reality) serves a valuable role in being someone to pursue an aggressive policy, Miyabi's slowly coming into her own. Could be a LOT worse.

Mind you Norimichi wasn't AWFUL. He just wasn't ever given a chance for us to get attached to him either. Three or four taciturn "Council meeting" appearances, one battlefield win against the Unicorn where he was there but not really a focus...

Now, if it were Tsumaro? I'd be clicking my heels with glee.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:47 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

Damn, Planted Evidence/Geisha Assassin redux.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:06 pm 
Dark Knowledge

daigotsu cielago wrote:
rest are up: http://imperialassembly.com/news.php?news=124

Ninja Training Exercise is fun. More Bodies is good i hear. We're getting a lot of shug hate, which is interesting. but the real winner is Betrayed from Within. 10g open kill. DANG SON.

Questionable Vassel has my vote to be made into a personality. I feel like he would be great, and the artwork is nice too.

EDIT: What is the honor loss for screaming out in pain?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:22 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

im looking for some great oni in the unaligned

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:19 pm 
Dances with Oni

Yuhmi is back! Sh*t just got real.

Plus ogres! This is a glorious day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:21 pm 
Crane Envoy to The Spider

Shinkirou wrote:
daigotsu cielago wrote:
rest are up: http://imperialassembly.com/news.php?news=124

Ninja Training Exercise is fun. More Bodies is good i hear. We're getting a lot of shug hate, which is interesting. but the real winner is Betrayed from Within. 10g open kill. DANG SON.

Questionable Vassel has my vote to be made into a personality. I feel like he would be great, and the artwork is nice too.

EDIT: What is the honor loss for screaming out in pain?
Breach of ettiquette, severity depending on circumstance.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:01 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

I asked for this. I shouted up and down that Daigotsu Yuhmi was an under-utilized character both in terms of story and card depictions.

I'd watch what he does very closely if I were any of you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:23 pm 
Black Guard

I love this previews! Hopefully this is the direction they are taking spider in. Although shadowlands having shadowlands hate seems wierd.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:49 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

DarkWolf wrote:
I love this previews! Hopefully this is the direction they are taking spider in. Although shadowlands having shadowlands hate seems wierd.

This one is unfamiliar with the days of yore. Shadowlands used to feed on corrupting outside personalities and turning them against their own.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:46 pm 
Sexy Beast
 YIM  Profile

With these previews, Spider Ninja control is now a more viable deck option!

Betrayed from Within (+Uncertainty).

Goju Iaitsu/Questionable Vassal + Lookout.

Goju Kumoru + Tairao/Goju Kenteiru (cav in & naval).

Goju Saido + Gempukku + House of Wizardry.

And if you want to push some shugenja shenanigans even further: (uncertainty +) Imperial Summons + Touch of Death

With Goju Sensei and Goju Toriken, were effectively a pseudo Scorpion SH. This allows us to control the board more freely.

Edit: I'd also want to whine about Endo... it is as if we don't have enough Shadowlands Hate already!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:49 am 

sndwurks wrote:
kakita_shiro wrote:
Also, I'm surprised that nobody's commented that you guys are getting another Unique in the rare slot.

I, for one, like getting our Uniques in the Rare slot, especially when we have powerhouses in the Common and Uncommon.

Well, everyone bitched about getting Kanpeki Unleashed so I figured it would be the same issue.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:30 am 
Final Student
 WWW  Profile

kakita_shiro wrote:
sndwurks wrote:
kakita_shiro wrote:
Also, I'm surprised that nobody's commented that you guys are getting another Unique in the rare slot.

I, for one, like getting our Uniques in the Rare slot, especially when we have powerhouses in the Common and Uncommon.

Well, everyone bitched about getting Kanpeki Unleashed so I figured it would be the same issue.

Ah, so when none of the "everyone" that complained last time cared, you thought it would be fun to just try stir up some trouble?

"I would sooner our clan be numbered less than a hundred than suffer traitors in our midst"
Shosuro Yudoka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:50 am 

Bayushi Akai wrote:
kakita_shiro wrote:

Ah, so when none of the "everyone" that complained last time cared, you thought it would be fun to just try stir up some trouble?

I'm asking what the difference is in their minds.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:08 am 
Dark Rhetoric

kakita_shiro wrote:
I'm asking what the difference is in their minds.

I can't speak for anyone else, but last time my issue wasn't that it was a unique in a rare slot, it was that he was "our compensation for not getting dick all in siege", which effectively meant that we lost that rare slot compared to the other clan. on top of the insult that was how siege was handled. this is another situation entirely, and its not like uniques in rare slots is, ya know, new. it sucks if you're trying to pull, but welcome to every edition of this game that i can remember.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:19 am 
The Lucid Dream

I'll second that these are good, good previews, something that's been lacking in the Spider for a long, long time - and continues a trend from the previous batch, which were overall solid cards.

I won't believe it until I see results, but the past two sets are making me start to believe Design might have figured something out with regards to the Spider.

Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many. - The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:23 pm 
Evil Bastard TM

CrimsonEyes wrote:
I'll second that these are good, good previews, something that's been lacking in the Spider for a long, long time - and continues a trend from the previous batch, which were overall solid cards.

I won't believe it until I see results, but the past two sets are making me start to believe Design might have figured something out with regards to the Spider.

Make the Spider the bad guys and give them appropriate toys?

As long as there is no Silver Bullet (i.e. Iris Festival) and Shadowlands Meta is either kickers, sparsed out between multiple cards (like the Magistrate stuff) or overly specific (Fate cards that only target Shadowlands cards, personalities that are sub-par when not facing Shadowlands) then there is a fighting chance. This will make players of other clans choose to make the best deck or meta and overly specific deck. If Shadowlands/Spider lose to a gross amount of meta, thats okay since those decks probably won't go far against the other 90% of the field.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:41 pm 
Black Guard

My general thoughts on our cards:

Goju Sensei
I think this Sensei has a lot of potential. It supports both military and control themes and the abilities are extremely flexible. the fact that you can activate our stronghold vs defensive decks is a huge plus for it and against military decks you have options when faced with dumb force decks or battle action decks. Sadly being an open action it doesn't combine well with Spinning the Web for double uses in battle (though you still have a chance to use the sensei on the other players turn I guess).
There is a little bit of wonkiness with the -2 honor loss thing, given that a couple of our Ninjas have 3, but I guess it makes them small enough that it shouldn't be a major issue and it does negate the most important repeated honor losses in Kumoro and Shiho.
For control I'm going to try a build based around Shapeshifter/Kumoro/Tairao that I tried ages ago, but which might be viable now, and I'm also going to try a military control deck with it/ Not sure if either will be better than Aranai decks yet, but I think they should be pretty decent. Really excited to try this out.

Staple Personalities:

Hikayo
The stat line pretty much says it all for this guy. 5f for 7g, no honor loss. I think that alone makes him playable in many military decks. When you add Resilient and duel resistance he becomes really hard to kill. I don't think he has a place in our standard dueling decks, but there is some potential there for him to be a piece in a hypothetical future deck that hands out the shadowlands trait for control purposes.
The only knock here is the heavy weapon trait as it means that he doesn't combo well with Gyushi Kageto.

Goju Iatsu
3f for 4g is almost always going to be playable. When you add a ranged 3 attack to that, its great. When that ranged attack can straighten you as well situationally, it becomes amazing. I mean even if you don't get to straighten he can still Knife in the Darkness home. This guy is going to be a staple in a ton of decks from swarm to all forms of ninja deck and probably in a lot of more general military builds. The two honor loss might limit his use a little outside of Yajinden and Goju decks if people are concerned about dishonor, but that is the only real knock on him. Best personality in the set for us IMO, and that is saying something with Toriken in the set.

Goju Toriken
Toriken will be a staple in all of our Ninja decks. The ability enables so many of the kickers, whilst simultaneously just stripping the best ability from one of their guys as an open. That on a 4/3 for 7 conqueror (conquer for ability removal on their turn as well!) is really strong. Even the honor loss on him is trivial meaning that in addition to the obvious ninja synergy, he will find a home in most general military decks that aren't trying to swarm (nothing a mid range military deck likes more than a solid body with two tempo changing abilities). He's even a tactician for Aranai decks. I think Iatsu is the best guy from this set, but Toriken is my favourite!

Situational Personalities:

Daigotsu Endo exp
The original Endo is still one of my favourite pieces of Spider art (see my avatar), and I'm really pleased to see this guy back. The main knock against him is that he is just 4f for 8g, and whilst you do get a card out of it as well, there are a lot more efficient ways to get 4 force in most military decks. Most times I think you'd rather buy two cheaper guys rather than him. I think this will end up forcing him out of a lot of our military decks, which is why I classify him below the personalities listed above.
That said he is a solid personality with a lot going for him in decks that will use him in specific ways. I can see a role for him as a one of in decks for the ability to push more guys out when you've lost some provinces. A hypothetical undead deck (sensei please) would obviously love this guy, he's an extra fear effect to use in Yajinden decks (combo with Tairao!) and there are no doubt some shenanigans that can be done with his traits. I saw some people mention that his honor -> courage cards trait will make dishonor metaing better, but I think for general military decks more efficient force spread out over multiple guys will be better overall.

Daigotsu Aimaro
This guy is solid but unspectacular. 2f for 4g is ok without being great, duelist trait is good to have, 3 chi for Aranai and a solid ability (although the chi kicker isn't all that exciting). I prefer Onita over him for dueling builds (mostly for her potential to be high force), but that doesn't mean they can't coexist. He probably loses out to more force efficient guys in swarmy builds (the new unaligned shug really makes that harder to fit into). Probably our least exciting/interesting guy in the set. That said, when a 4g guy with 2f and a 3 point force jab is your least interesting card from a set there is nothing to complain about.

Marginal Personalities:

Daigostu Yuhmi exp2
So I actually like this card. Great personality to have back in the story, with fantastic art, good force for his cost and an ability, which whilst not amazing, is certainly not something you'd be unhappy with having in play. The problems with him however are that he has an obnoxious honor loss that we don't have the ability to mitigate, and that he is competing with Ogre Bushi at the same cost, who has the same force with no honor loss and more chi.
If we can get a sensei or stronghold that mitigates the honor loss this guy will be great, or if we get some sort of large and in charge (we have a few pieces now, so keep an eye on this) or samurai military theme that wants to Standing Fast (our current theme that uses a lot of samurai is dueling and 2 chi isn't going to cut it there) he will definitely have a place, but for now I think this guy sits on the sidelines looking pretty.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:11 am 
Daigotsu's Legion

Disgustingly good. Glad to see some hope for spider wins. Now all I need is to see the mantis sensei. :D

Interrupt: After you Recruit Daikichi, create a 1F/3C/3PH Mantis Clan • Spider • Nonhuman • Spirit Personality with the ability, "Engage: Enemy Personalities moving from or to the battlefield have -1 Force.