Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: [DT] [20 Festivals] General Preview Thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:38 am 
The Lucid Dream

Public Arrest is the latest in a series of cards where Shadowlands is solely a negative keyword, but Spider cards with Shadowlands get no compensation for carrying a keyword that is only a drawback.

Mind, we have much fewer cards with Shadowlands (51 Spider Clan Personalties, 21 of them have Shadowlands) than we used to, back in the olden days of Spider. But it's still staggeringly bad Design to give a Clan a keyword that's only negative and to not compensate them for it AT ALL.

And Public Arrest is probably going to be in Magistrate decks, as it's a strong, STRONG card, usually throwing out around a fear 5+, and they'll have ways, I expect, to dishonor people, so it'll be hitting people beyond Shadowlands Personalities.

Fwee.

Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many. - The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:48 am 
Black Guard

TheItsyBitsySpider wrote:
Sparks wrote:
Here's something to get excited about! :roll:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... oh, how many shadowland guys do we have? Like seriously... are they TRYING to drive spider players from the game.

Sometimes I get the feeling they do, best if they just came out with it tho. I'm just tired of AEG design plan... which feels non existent.

Hopefully the ninjas aren't going to suck...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:53 am 
Dark Rhetoric

DarkWolf wrote:
Sparks wrote:
Here's something to get excited about! :roll:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... oh, how many shadowland guys do we have? Like seriously... are they TRYING to drive spider players from the game.

Sometimes I get the feeling they do, best if they just came out with it tho. I'm just tired of AEG design plan... which feels non existent.

Hopefully the ninjas aren't going to suck...

of all the stuff they gave us that sucked in the years since breeder, TSL was arguably the last bad thing, so maybe that should give you hope for ninjas!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:29 am 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

CrimsonEyes wrote:
Public Arrest is the latest in a series of cards where Shadowlands is solely a negative keyword, but Spider cards with Shadowlands get no compensation for carrying a keyword that is only a drawback.

Mind, we have much fewer cards with Shadowlands (51 Spider Clan Personalties, 21 of them have Shadowlands) than we used to, back in the olden days of Spider. But it's still staggeringly bad Design to give a Clan a keyword that's only negative and to not compensate them for it AT ALL.

And Public Arrest is probably going to be in Magistrate decks, as it's a strong, STRONG card, usually throwing out around a fear 5+, and they'll have ways, I expect, to dishonor people, so it'll be hitting people beyond Shadowlands Personalities.

Fwee.

Considering that I have a large amount of cards with Courage in a couple of my decks, I'm not really worried about public arrest.

I am a little dissapointed in the last two cards we saw, Kendo in particular
His return is not a surprise, but, I would have expected and mrp to reduce his gold cost or possibly increase his force.

Gunjao is essentially Skeletal Troops in personality form. Not super exciting and 2c duelist isn't really scary. Maybe if kensai were on there too?

20f is starting to look like they are trying to please everyone and since that is an impossible task, they are going to end up pleasing fewer people than they hoped too.............something they can't really afford to do. hopefully the last few cards turn things around :?

seriously how many themes are they trying to cover for spider?
fear samurai
dueling samurai
dueling monks
kensai monks
shugenja
ninja
susumu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:39 am 
Dark Rhetoric

would be super helpful to get the numbers on Daigotsu Kendo and the Kokujin, but even without them we know we have at least one daigotsu left to preview, as well as potentially two more spider clan personalities. off the top of my head i can't recall how many we can expect in a base set but i think we should have at least one more beyond the as yet unnamed daigotsu.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:06 am 
The Lucid Dream

itsybitsy wrote:
seriously how many themes are they trying to cover for spider?
fear samurai
dueling samurai
dueling monks
kensai monks
shugenja
ninja
susumu

I don't think it's QUITE at stuffed as you say, but it is pretty stuffed.

You can just lump 'dueling samurai' and 'dueling monks' into a pile together, Spider's going to have a dueling theme, Sahara Sensei pretty much confirms that.

Fear is going to be another theme, as it's our shctick, apparently. Won't really be Samurai or Monks, just 'Fear' in general. EDIT: And, as I think about it, Fear is more the overall glue that sticks everything Spider-y together, it'll be prevalent throughout our themes (as it is in our duelers) and a theme all it's own, but it'll also pop up in most of our other things.

Susumu is also going to be a theme, as it's our non-military theme.

Given the number of Ninja we're seeing, we'll likely be getting some sort of Ninja theme/Sensei down the line. (And with things like Ninja Shapeshifter coming back, I more and more expect this big problem in Onyx to be the damn Shadow Dragon, hence the resurgence of Ninjas in Spider.)

We haven't yet seen a Monksai yet, so we might not actually be seeing that as a supported theme in 20f.

And as for Shugenja, they're a tiny subset of support Personalities that will not be numerous enough to qualify for their own theme. We, I expect, will get one every set, or, I suspect, one every couple of sets or so. Just a small handful to tide us over until, in Story, they are established enough to be their own family.

So, dueling, Fear, Susumu Honor, Ninja, with the possibility of Monksai.

Still a lot, but not as bad as you make it out to be, I feel.

Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many. - The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:16 am 
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan

Well, if y'all remember The Coming Dawn articles at the beginning of Ivory they described how it works.

Every clan will get the following:

1 main theme, this reaches out through all other themes, drawing on all kinds of cards from the clan to represent its core nature.

4 sub themes, each with a sensei. These come out two a year.

So for spider we have the following:

Spiders main theme is fear, using and abusing the fear mechanic. Spiders from all the themes have abilities that tap into the fear abilities.

Subtheme one: monksai with tetsuo.

Sub theme two: Susumu with Kuroko

And this year we have

Sub theme three: Spider dueling with Sahara

Sub theme four: Ninja with a sensei (my money is on sawaki sensei but we don't know yet)

Now, not every card is supposed to fit perfectly with the themes of the year, like Jemaru or kendo. But there are personalities that hailed the themes of the next year, like Shiho and Saido predicting ninja and Atsushi followed swiftly by takahide.

This year I would keep an eye out for our conquerers as I'm calling their return in Onix. But we will see.

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:44 am 
Dark Rhetoric

more spider-centric previews
https://twitter.com/The_Gekko_State/sta ... 5300492288
https://twitter.com/The_Gekko_State/sta ... 6230959105

obsidian dojo (2 for 2, bow and destory, target personality, if they win duel fear 4 perm) is okay, and certainly aimed at us.
not thrilled to see Lao She. wouldn't have been how i used that last slot.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:00 pm 

Lao she is ok'ish

The dojo sounds bad. We have fear aplenty. I'm not sacrificing a holding to give my personality an action they already have.

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:26 pm 
Dark Rhetoric

with Lou-Sy spoiled we now appear to have 2-3 personalities remaining: someone between Daigotsu Hachiko and Goju Kumaro along with Kendo (so a daigotsu, a goju, or a monk with a name landing in there), a guaranteed Daigotsu between Atsushi XP and Hachiko, and potentially someone between the end of the scorpion bodies and Atsushi XP (but i wouldn't bet on this).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:31 pm 

I'm guessing one more goju at least. We have the art for him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:50 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

I'm really disappointed to see Lao-she back. Cards like Lao-she, Kendo, naibu are so uninteresting and don't really add anything to our established decks nor do i see them opening up new deck options for us. Especially since they just previewed Scour the Unworthy, which bows multiple 4g or less personalities as one action. Regardless of theme, most of our decks run multiple 4g bodies and getting two for oned is going to be such a huge kick in the pants.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:03 pm 
Crane Envoy to The Spider

pangu wrote:
I'm really disappointed to see Lao-she back. Cards like Lao-she, Kendo, naibu are so uninteresting and don't really add anything to our established decks nor do i see them opening up new deck options for us. Especially since they just previewed Scour the Unworthy, which bows multiple 4g or less personalities as one action. Regardless of theme, most of our decks run multiple 4g bodies and getting two for oned is going to be such a huge kick in the pants.

Their combined force also has to be less than 8, so if you buff their Force, it'll be fine.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:14 pm 

Kendo will be amazing, he is the cheapest conquerer without a drawback that the spider has.

Lao- she did work for me last year, she can stay.

Goblin....You could have been a goju... Stupid fake Keppo, couldn't at least have been a scout, that way we could have access to terrain Tutor... Get out of my sight. *points to the door*

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:18 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

kakita_shiro wrote:
Their combined force also has to be less than 8, so if you buff their Force, it'll be fine.

If only that's what it said. The combined gold of the personalities must be 8 or less, not force.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:27 pm 

So.... Like 2 personalities, maybe 3?

That's not that bad.

Geisha blitz however is screwed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:32 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

Wait, having 2-3 personalities bowed to 1 action with 0 cost isn't bad? Most of my battles with swarm come down to a couple points of force in resolution, this card is going to be a blow out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:43 pm 

Well the best spider lists I've been seeing are midrange in strict so...

I think that will hurt lion and crane way more then it will hurt us.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:26 am 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

The Witness token implies that Awed Witness (Bow loser, create 2F/2C samurai personality) is returning as a duel.

The Spider Fear dueling may be built around the idea: "Duels hit Personalities, Fear hits Followers(Big Unit) and naked Personalities(swarm)."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:41 am 
The Lucid Dream

Duels would work equally well against Big Units, too, depending on the core of said unit.

A nasty Kensai with a pair of Chi boosting weapons likely would be a pain to duel. Thankfully those weapons don't protect him from Fear in the same manner of Followers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:18 am 

It all depends of the duels we see really.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:15 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

It all depends of the duels we see really.

Awed Witness, Brazen Challenge, Clash of Blades. And technically Defend Your Honor and Show Me Your Stance, neither of which are Spider-compatible.

Clash of Blades is the money duel for Spider:
Iaijutsu Open: Your target unbowed Personality challenges a target Personality. Dishonor and permanently remove all abilities from the loser. The winner gains 1 Honor.
4FV

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:33 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

Full set is up on Oracle. The Twisted One is amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:33 pm 
Dark Rhetoric

please sweet daddy dags let Assassin's Strike not be a typo... the only thing thats not brilliant about that card is the focus value

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:37 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

daigotsu cielago wrote:
please sweet daddy dags let Assassin's Strike not be a typo... the only thing thats not brilliant about that card is the focus value

It's okay. If straighten is rare, then it's not really necessary (because bowed is bowed). If straighten is common, it's more difficult to time its use to ideal effect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next