Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: [DT] [20 Festivals] General Preview Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:40 pm 
The Lucid Dream

That 4 Honor hit on Zenshi must be Oracle not being updated from his GoTE printing, cause otherwise, he's unplayable.

Pretty much confirmed now, no more Clan Holdings. On the one hand, good riddance, as they just didn't work with Gold Pooling. On the other hand, they were a neat bit of flavor that the nostalgic side of me is sorry to see go, even if the logical side knows they HAD to go.

Assassin's Strike? Hells yeah!

The New Order seeing reprint will gives us a meta option against Honor, as we can crack it and not lose production.

Brazen Challenge on a SuperUnit, win by 3 or more, additional action, Assassin's Strike.

Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many. - The Doctor

Last edited by CrimsonEyes on Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:44 pm 
Awww, Banned

Looked over Scorpion Peeps: Flat honor losses, not based on enemy PH.
Looked at our guys: Honor losses for coming into play and for using their battle actions.

I think this is the worst I've ever seen the dishonor match up being - going into a new arc.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:48 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

CrimsonEyes wrote:
That 4 Honor hit on Zenshi must be Oracle not being updated from his GoTE printing, cause otherwise, he's unplayable.

Reprinted cards have their Oracle text still as their prior version (which makes sense, the 20F MRPs aren't in effect until the set is released). You can physically click on the 20F printing to see the differences.

...however, Zenshi is unplayable. He's still 4 Honor loss, and I have not even the slightest clue why that should be.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:53 pm 
The Lucid Dream

Yeah, I clicked on him and he still said 'Lose 4 Honor'.

That's indefensible given that his Battle isn't going to do all that much, as we aren't exactly swimming in Undead cards as we were in his heyday (Celestial), and he didn't even see play with the hordes of Undead we were using then.

Also, why do we get a Fallen Personality (and her inherent Honor Loss) and no one else does?

Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many. - The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:03 pm 
Dark Rhetoric

sadface. no shadowlands or other interesting sensei. some fortification nonsense. and mahatsu. bleh.

also... a dark moto with 4 honor hit?! http://imperialassembly.com/oracle/#cardid=12176 and Voitagi?? talk about a trip.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:08 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

ChrisARose wrote:
Looked over Scorpion Peeps: Flat honor losses, not based on enemy PH.
Looked at our guys: Honor losses for coming into play and for using their battle actions.

I think this is the worst I've ever seen the dishonor match up being - going into a new arc.

Honestly, I don't think Scorpion dishonor looks to be in a very good place. Junko (Jou), Katsue (Shigeru), and the new Soshi Rei are their only sources of printed honor loss. Junko is annoying but can be played around. Katsue is non-repeatable and profoundly overcosted. And Rei needs an in-unit dishonor mechanic to function; she'd be amazing with Secrets on the Wind, but that's not in 20F.

On the other hand, you probably do have a point against the Crane dishonor matchup. Doji Tashihime, Kakita Akitomo, and Kakita Ikura are reusable sources of honor loss. Kakita Hikai fills the role of Scorpion's Katsue, and highlights just how terrible Katsue is; Hikai's pretty amazing.

CrimsonEyes wrote:
Yeah, I clicked on him and he still said 'Lose 4 Honor'.

That's indefensible given that his Battle isn't going to do all that much, as we aren't exactly swimming in Undead cards as we were in his heyday (Celestial), and he didn't even see play with the hordes of Undead we were using then.

In general, reprinted people from pre-Ivory in 20F are bad. In part because they didn't receive cost adjustments, and in part because of shenanigans like this. I will note, though, that Voitagi is back, along with a new Dark Moto. So perhaps at some point, there will be an undead theme with a sensei to support it? Of course, I thought that when Ivory had Noekam, too...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:16 pm 
Crane Envoy to The Spider

Yay Crane Dishonor is back!

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:29 pm 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

I think the last few spider previews put me back into the glass is half full camp for spider. Ninja with blanking ability, bog hag with a chi hit and duelist with a printed duel and no honor hit. All really nice additions. I'm thinking military enlightenment is a real possibility

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:16 pm 
Dark Rhetoric

itsybitsy wrote:
I think the last few spider previews put me back into the glass is half full camp for spider. Ninja with blanking ability, bog hag with a chi hit and duelist with a printed duel and no honor hit. All really nice additions. I'm thinking military enlightenment is a real possibility

i think we've all been on the L5R seesaw today. yay previews! boo seiken! wtf fiction?!

that said, i'm with you. that duelist really adds a ton to the dueling deck i wanna build, and i'm happy to see how much of 20F is CE era stuff. thats gonna be easier on the bank.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:55 pm 
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan

The new order is interesting. I like that out of spider. For once a case when our province power can be abused.

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:23 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

I get Mizuhiko back! And Tomioko! And Mariko/Nairuko! And spells that add Force buffs!

It is a good, good day to be a Phoenix player.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:33 pm 
<< Your Title Here >> <<< Ask Me How >>>

Well... the good? Holy Spider duel Batman! Got our wish there. But before we get too happy, the whole set seems a bit more duel heavy.

And all our stuff is indeed heavy on fear. So thats why they have ... an entire series of decent followers immune to fear? Oh, great.

Too early to really gauge much, but we seem to have a heavy weak dueling theme now, that generates extra fear effects that will be ignored or underwhelming.

/shrug

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:40 pm 
You don't expect anything, then...BOOM! NINJAS!

Dueling isn't good. Ninjas are GREAT! :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:48 pm 
Final Student
 WWW  Profile

Sparks wrote:
Dueling isn't good. Ninjas are GREAT! :smoke:

Unfortunately when combined the dueling part appears to overpower the Ninja part :seppuku:

"I would sooner our clan be numbered less than a hundred than suffer traitors in our midst"
Shosuro Yudoka

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:21 pm 
Crane Envoy to The Spider

Duel that unmakes!

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:02 am 
Black Guard

Qalyar wrote:
And Rei needs an in-unit dishonor mechanic to function; she'd be amazing with Secrets on the Wind, but that's not in 20F.

It was however in Ivory Edition, so she will be amazing with it.

I have to admit I punched the table when I saw Merchantile Conflict in the set. That said it should (hopefully) be slightly harder for them to use it consistently without JPI seacrh for BCI, and no replacement for the other honor loss holding.

Sooo happy to see Jade Mine and Slave Pits back too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:05 am 
Dark Rhetoric

http://imperialassembly.com/oracle#cardid=12231

Hidden Strength appears to be new, and its very good for us as we tend to have lower chi.

Invest : If your Personality is a Duelist, draw a card.
Interrupt: After the action starts a duel, if your Personality in it has a lower duel stat than the other (at that time), then each player must focus at least once in the duel, and give the first card you focused in the duel +2FV after it is revealed.

card cycle for 1 gold, forced focusing and FV increase. looks good.

given our honor issues, is slave pits something we're actually gonna put to use?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:11 am 
Black Guard

daigotsu cielago wrote:
given our honor issues, is slave pits something we're actually gonna put to use?

I think so, because you always have the option to choose not to lose the honour depending on the game situation. Also have the amusing ability to now run 4 clan holding efficiency holdings (Marsh, Pits, Jade Mine and House of Disgrace) for mega efficiency. 5 for monk decks if you add Temple for them. Granted a dishonor deck only has to breathe on you to end you with that setup :seppuku:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:55 am 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

Personal Dojo seems to be meant for Spider Dueling.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:42 am 
Dark Scribe

I've no taken a look at the cards, mostly their artworks and flavour texts, and I must admit that I'm surprised. We don't see either a Susumu nor a Gyushi. A Spider-aligned goblin and a boghag infultrator with the Daigotsu family name come as a surprise, too, as do the new Kokujin, Voitagi and the Dark Moto. But I like these choices, as they remember me of the first days of the Spider Clan and even pay homage to the Shadowlands Horde, too.

The flavour texts don't reveal much about the Spider story. There is a Kakita jester who disses a Susumu, which implies that the Susumu are now a force in the courts powerful enough for the Kakita to not only take notice. Moreover, Spider seems to have no-dachi duelling now.

Now, I'm crossing my fingers for some Spider wins this season and some icons being chosen to appear as a card.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:06 am 
Dark Rhetoric

Daigotsu G wrote:
daigotsu cielago wrote:

I think so, because you always have the option to choose not to lose the honour depending on the game situation. Also have the amusing ability to now run 4 clan holding efficiency holdings (Marsh, Pits, Jade Mine and House of Disgrace) for mega efficiency. 5 for monk decks if you add Temple for them. Granted a dishonor deck only has to breathe on you to end you with that setup :seppuku:

That's in 20f strict right? Aren't shinomen still legal via ivory?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:50 am 
The Lucid Dream

Personal Dojo seems definitely for Spider dueling. 3 for 3, tireless, boosts the Fear of an action after you win a duel this turn. Quite palatable.

Don't see anything really stellar in the item suite.

Also, I would pay 8 gold for that Unaligned Dark Moto and lose 4 Honor for him EVERY TIME instead of paying 7g for Zenshi and losing 4 Honor.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:20 am 
Br'nn
 WWW  Profile

daigotsu cielago wrote:
http://imperialassembly.com/oracle#cardid=12231

Hidden Strength appears to be new, and its very good for us as we tend to have lower chi.

Invest : If your Personality is a Duelist, draw a card.
Interrupt: After the action starts a duel, if your Personality in it has a lower duel stat than the other (at that time), then each player must focus at least once in the duel, and give the first card you focused in the duel +2FV after it is revealed.

card cycle for 1 gold, forced focusing and FV increase. looks good.

Slave Pits and Jade Mine back means we have some sweet potentially non-corrupt economy, so it will definitely be worth considering, especially when combined with Shinomen Marsh and Temple of Harmony (if you have enough Monks). Of course, you could also include House of Disgrace as well, for potentially up to 5 2-for-3s. Back at the start of Ivory I ran 3 Pits, 2 Mines, 3 Marshes, 3 Temples and Productive Mine for some sweet economy that rolled out pretty nice since I could usually buy an extra 2g holding, something you can't always do running all 4-for-4s. For 20F, replace Productive Mine with Nexus and you pretty much have the same gold scheme (although losing that Kharmic on Productive Mine hurts a little).

As for the implication that we have lower chi, the number of non-unique 4 chi guys in the format is pretty even across the board, so we're no lower than any other of the dueling clans. I hear Items are useful and we have Gyushi Kageto on our team, too. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:50 pm 
So, am I the only one who thinks Mark of Heaven's favor + Lonely Dojo is a ridiculous economy boost?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:03 pm 
Black Guard

D'JarvisNeckbeardIII wrote:
So, am I the only one who thinks Mark of Heaven's favor + Lonely Dojo is a ridiculous economy boost?

Free or even gold creating followers if you have multiple dojos out does seem a bit great. Wonder if we would be able to shoe horn it into our decks if we are running shiho, kageto and tairao or if it would be too inconsistent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next