It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: [TNO] Personality: Gyushi Kageto
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:46 am 
Gravity Dragon's Vanguard: The Shadow Soul Crusher

"I crush you"

Post subject: Re: [TNO] Personality: Gyushi Kageto
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:48 am 
You don't expect anything, then...BOOM! NINJAS!

This guy isn't too bad for the susumu deck. I do think, however, that 2ph is a huge liability vs dishonor.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:23 pm 
Gravity Dragon's Vanguard: The Shadow Soul Crusher

Seems like a good way to spend the unused gold you inevitably have for Spider Swarm

May have some other utility but that's where I see him shining.

2PH though is major MAJOR liability for dishonor :(

"I crush you"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:32 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

Hey, at least the Spider have a basis for a non-Chuda shugenja tradition...

I say "basis," not "core," because this guy is awfully lonely.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:35 pm 
Dark Scribe

A non-Nothing shugenja for the Spider Clan, yeah! It's good to see the Gyushi vassal family carded. But there are two things that really surprise me: That a maho-tsukai, which the (former) Chuda are, isn't Tainted and that he has a Personal Honour of 2.

I would have liked the flavout text to answer the question if the Gyushi are still a Daigotsu vassal family or if they have become a proper family, but I guess this question will be answered as soon as Winter Court 4 starts.

EDIT: The Yogo Bloodspeaker doesn't have the Shadowlands Taint on the card, either. So I guess the lack of the mechanical trait doesn't mean he lacks it in-story.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:37 pm 
Dark Scribe

Shiba Gunichi wrote:
Hey, at least the Spider have a basis for a non-Chuda shugenja tradition...

Well, we know that there's a daimyo, too (Book of Earth). But where do you get the non-Chuda tradition? The Gyushi are former Chuda - unless they're a vassal family that recruited non-Spider.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:39 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

Audax wrote:
But where do you get the non-Chuda tradition? The Gyushi are former Chuda - unless they're a vassal family that recruited non-Spider.

Former Chuda. As opposed to actual Chuda. These guys apparently do not mandate maho, and they still have loyalty to the Spider. Big differences there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:43 pm 
Dark Scribe

Shiba Gunichi wrote:
Former Chuda. As opposed to actual Chuda. These guys apparently do not mandate maho, and they still have loyalty to the Spider. Big differences there.

But it would mean that their school is the Chuda school, which would make them maho-tsukai, who can also use elemental magic. There were no non-maho Chuda when the desertation happened and the Gyushi were founded. I don't see how this would help to create a non-Chuda/-maho tradition. But the Story Team might surprise me here. I didn't see the plant-creatures coming, either, after all.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:19 pm 
Abbot of Shinden Fu Leng

This could interplay with Dueling guys to get something going.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:30 pm 
Dark Rhetoric

i've long agitated for a non-nothing shugenja family for the spider, both from a plot and mechanical standpoint, and i'm happy to see that finally coming about. the Gyushi are a welcome addition, and from what little we have seen of them thus far i really like them. former chuda, but pure. fire is absolutely the right keyword. is it too early for me to hope to see an RPG release with their family soon?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:47 pm 
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan

I LOVE this guy! His abilities are just a cool concept. I like it!

About time we got another Shugenja family!

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:34 pm 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

Kageto is one of the WC4 personalities, his school is a new crafting shugenja school, and story puts the Gyushi as the Spider's 3rd official family.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:45 pm 
Dark Scribe

Daigotsu Atsuo wrote:
Kageto is one of the WC4 personalities, his school is a new crafting shugenja school, and story puts the Gyushi as the Spider's 3rd official family.

That's great news. But the question is now: is their daimyo, who formaly was Daigotsu Gyushi now called Gyushi Gyushi? And who takes the place of the Gyushi as the forging vassal family of the Spider Clan?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:55 pm 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

Audax wrote:
That's great news. But the question is now: is their daimyo, who formaly was Daigotsu Gyushi now called Gyushi Gyushi? And who takes the place of the Gyushi as the forging vassal family of the Spider Clan?

From what I understand, like all family founders, he is now simply Gyushi and that the Gyushi still maintain their forging duties but with the status of a major family.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:57 pm 
Dark Scribe

Daigotsu Atsuo wrote:
From what I understand, like all family founders, he is now simply Gyushi and that the Gyushi still maintain their forging duties but with the status of a major family.

Sounds logical. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:32 pm 
Black Guard

Kageto needs no hammer! I'm happy to have the Gyushi in clan, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:55 pm 
Br'nn
 WWW  Profile

Good card. So many options for use, including in Monksai, Dueling, Swarm, and some sort of Shugenja/Control option. The 2PH means he could even show up in Susumu.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:04 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

I've been very excited to see him, and I have to admit I love his card. I'll be ripping that artwork off to use as him during WC4.

An excerpt from his sheet. Most of this is backed up by some of the existing books.

Gyushi Kageto is part of a very small and very new family that were once a vassal family of the Daigotsu. After the Chuda betrayed the Spider when they were given Great Clan status by Empress Iweko I, a small non-tainted faction within the family forsook their former line and swore fealty to the Clan Champion Daigotsu Kanpeki. The head of the family, the former Chuda Gyushi was a craftsman and an armourer of the Chuda family and by default the Spider Clan came to possess a Juhin-Kenzoku (i.e. a forging family) like all the other Great Clans. While Daigotsu Gyushi would be best described as an average shugenja, he was an exceptional smith of weapons and armor. Over the years he would select one, maybe two students in the fledgling Gyushi shugenja school and teach them his techniques.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:06 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

soundwavesghost wrote:
I've been very excited to see him, and I have to admit I love his card. I'll be ripping that artwork off to use as him during WC4.

An excerpt from his sheet. Most of this is backed up by some of the existing books.

Gyushi Kageto is part of a very small and very new family that were once a vassal family of the Daigotsu. After the Chuda betrayed the Spider when they were given Great Clan status by Empress Iweko I, a small non-tainted faction within the family forsook their former line and swore fealty to the Clan Champion Daigotsu Kanpeki. The head of the family, the former Chuda Gyushi was a craftsman and an armourer of the Chuda family and by default the Spider Clan came to possess a Juhin-Kenzoku (i.e. a forging family) like all the other Great Clans. While Daigotsu Gyushi would be best described as an average shugenja, he was an exceptional smith of weapons and armor. Over the years he would select one, maybe two students in the fledgling Gyushi shugenja school and teach them his techniques.

So cool. I'm excited to put this guy to use in a few different builds.

5th Place-Green Bay Kotei 2015

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:02 am 
Harvester of Sorrow

I really like this guy his action is open so heavenly crab shenanigans is possible. Shug for TOD options in control
Allowes less wpns in fate deck. With some better monks might make that playable. At moment dropping wpns on minikuis and ogre bushis could be strong

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:29 am 
Dark Scribe

soundwavesghost wrote:

The Gyushi are first introduced in Book of Earth. What's new is that they aren't tainted. I'm not quite buying that there are non-Tainted shugenja within a family of maho-tsukai. Because it's established that the Chuda weren't allowed to send a member of theirs into the Council of the Spider, because they lacked non-tainted member. Now they suddenly should have had non-Tainted all along?

I smell some successful in-story propaganda by the Spider Clan. ;)

In any case, I'm excited about the new shugenja school, even moreso if it happens to boost by Taint like other Spider schools.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:52 am 
Daigotsu's Legion

From the what I have so far at least Kageto is all about the craft keyword and a line from his sheet show the newer attitude towards maho, at least for Kageto.

Quote:
It is his intention to show that the Spider can have ties to the kami that do not involve maho and that even this small family can be powerful indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:05 am 
<< Your Title Here >> <<< Ask Me How >>>

Consider..... we don't know if any of them were present during Goddesses.... not likely, but not impossible. So the purge wave may have cleansed them.

Consider..... no one has ever stated that Chuda who remained loyal, under Daigotsus new control over the taint.... might not become 'typical' Shugenja to him or the powers he controls. Free of any (apparent ) Taint.

The thing about Maho is anyone can do it. Not just Shugenja. It was only when you had a Shugenja, who also were willing to work with the Kansen, that you got truly fearsome casters. So maybe the Maho/Kansen/Taint was purged, leaving a few basic Shugenja behind. Or maybe, just maybe.... and I HOPE this is the case myself.... Daigotsus new deal allows for hidden taint.

Guess we will see. Either way, I am glad to see an openly accepted Shugenja school, and a arms crafting one at that!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:34 am 
Crane Envoy to The Spider

i3ullseye wrote:
COr maybe, just maybe.... and I HOPE this is the case myself.... Daigotsus new deal allows for hidden taint.

The Taint had always allowed for that. Sometimes Jigoku wants infiltrators, so it gives people the power to hide their Taint from magical detection.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:53 am 
The Lucid Dream

Generally, I like this guy. Throwing weapons onto our Monksai or Samurai isn't a bad thing to be doing at all, and, as some have said, this could even go into the Susumu.

I do, like others, worry about that 2 PH vs dishonor, however.

Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many. - The Doctor