Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gencon L5R
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:42 am 
A snarl, a bite, a whip that stings - these are a few of my favorite things.

In what appears to be a pretty common story amongst the L5r OG crowd.

I will not be playing in any of the new l5r events at Gencon.

I tried. Submitted right on time. Got an ok que number, but the inaugral event sold out well before I was able to make my purchase.

C'est le vie. I did get a ticket for the Friday $12 tournament but with no box to build from....

Still going to Gencon, still looking to play new l5r if I can buy a box or if some fine fellows on this board manage to sneak their way in and want to come show off their wares.

Good news for FFG is the game is a hit! Sold out! Maximum capacity!

Bad news for me and the players I know who were super excited. This may be enough to keep them from the game altogether. Big event gatherings one of THE reasons to be an l5r player and Gencon is the biggest of the events. Maybe FFG just doesn't care/appreciate that part of the community. If I cannot play the game with my friends at Gencon, I have very limited interested in playing the game at all.

What else are people planning on playing?

Paul Ashman

Post subject: Re: Gencon L5R
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:15 am 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

I am one of the lucky few who secured tickets to the pre-release and inaugural tournament (and by lucky, I mean I went into my office, and used a terminal with a high speed, hard line, dedicated internet connection designed to purchase tickets from multi-million dollar onsales before the scalpers get their hands on them) (small perks of my job).

My recommendation at this point is to put pressure on FFG to examine their current allotment of ticket sales, and find the few scalpers who purchased significant numbers (any more than 3 tickets), or to open up a second batch of 350 tickets for the event due to overwhelming demand (and thus dropping the market price of the scalper tickets through killing the scarcity). Or maybe even the first, then the second.

What you can do now is put the tickets on your wishlist, subscribe to @FFGames on Twitter, and trend the #MoreGenL5R on Twitter and Facebook. The good news is that as long as you do this positively? This counts as ADVERTISING for L5R LCG, which means that FFG's stocks and the like will surge in value. Showing demand is a GOOD thing for a business. Just make sure you keep it (reasonably) positive, and do not buy tickets from the scalpers.

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

Susumu Naishi in Winter Court 4

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:49 am 
Master of Undeath

Curseword69 wrote:
C'est le vie. I did get a ticket for the Friday $12 tournament but with no box to build from....

Still going to Gencon, still looking to play new l5r if I can buy a box or if some fine fellows on this board manage to sneak their way in and want to come show off their wares.

The trick is doing it first thing in the morning. But they should have a fair amount of stock there to sell.

I also managed to make it into the Inaugural tournament.

RIP Egg of P'an Ku : Ringteki is risen! https://github.com/gryffon/ringteki
Susumu Takuan is taking a nap. https://github.com/gryffon/SusumuTakuan

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:03 pm 
Dark Rhetoric

the scalper was some dickhead troll on the facebook group. theres no legitimate evidence of scalpers, and according the gencon support, no way to actually do it short of actually buying multiple badges.

and we can just abandon all hope of more seats too. theres no way 350 more seats for 7 hours are going to magically appear at gencon at this junction. it was kind of a miracle they managed to get that many in the first place, as i understand it. thats a LOT, especially when FFG has a lot of games and tournaments to run in the first place. they would effectively need to find another entire day in the weekend at this point.

i get people are salty, i really do. but this is a _good thing_ that the game blew out so hard. it really is. the demand DRAMATICALLY outstripped supply, which indicates theres a lot of hype for the game. a reaction of fury and salt is not the kind or thing thats really productive. nor is trying to strongarm FFG into doing something that it has no ability to do.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:10 am 
Final Student
 WWW  Profile

Demand at Gencon actually means very little- the people playing at Gencon were always going to buy Core sets. Netrunner and AGoT also had insane demand for their release at Gencon, and neither of them sold out quickly this year. Unfortunately the only realistic outcome for FFG from this was pissing people off- as you said, getting space for even the 350 would have been a challenge, and interest was always going to outstrip demand. It's not FFG's fault, but they'll have to shoulder the blame regardless.

"I would sooner our clan be numbered less than a hundred than suffer traitors in our midst"
Shosuro Yudoka

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:12 am 
Crane Envoy to The Spider

I got a Friday ticket from a Friend List, and a Thursday ticket from another friend.

The whole process of ticketing is an issue Gen Con might want to revisit though.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:37 am 
Dark Rhetoric

i would love, LOVE, to know why gencon has a website that was designed 10 years ago. i work for a company that handles web performance, so i'm real familiar with the challenges of handling spikes in traffic, but like, guys, real basic way to start would be using modern web technologies.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:19 am 
Gravity Dragon's Vanguard: The Shadow Soul Crusher

Main issue is that GenCon is it's own thing and FFG is it's own thing. GenCon only cares enough that people buy tickets there. After that, vendors are on their own.

I unfortunately can't make it this year, but it will be interesting to see how L5R post GenCon goes. My guess is GenCon interest will be high (as evidenced by the selling out) BUT with so many LCGs out there, we'll see how much of the market will adopt it.

"I crush you"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:00 am 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

BeastEG wrote:
I unfortunately can't make it this year, but it will be interesting to see how L5R post GenCon goes. My guess is GenCon interest will be high (as evidenced by the selling out) BUT with so many LCGs out there, we'll see how much of the market will adopt it.

I know I'm going to be walking out of GenCon with 3 Core sets (pre-release ticket for me, Rhiannon, and a friend), so if you guys get an L5R night going again, let me know, and I will swing by.

I will be running events up at Midgard in Derry, NH starting in September, as that is closer to me.

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

Susumu Naishi in Winter Court 4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:08 pm 
Dark Lord of Digital
 WWW  Profile

daigotsu cielago wrote:
the scalper was some dickhead troll on the facebook group. theres no legitimate evidence of scalpers, and according the gencon support, no way to actually do it short of actually buying multiple badges.

and we can just abandon all hope of more seats too. theres no way 350 more seats for 7 hours are going to magically appear at gencon at this junction. it was kind of a miracle they managed to get that many in the first place, as i understand it. thats a LOT, especially when FFG has a lot of games and tournaments to run in the first place. they would effectively need to find another entire day in the weekend at this point.

i get people are salty, i really do. but this is a _good thing_ that the game blew out so hard. it really is. the demand DRAMATICALLY outstripped supply, which indicates theres a lot of hype for the game. a reaction of fury and salt is not the kind or thing thats really productive. nor is trying to strongarm FFG into doing something that it has no ability to do.

I just want to say I agree with you that this huge demand is great and I'm glad you were right about that. Also, I'm really glad you were wrong about the possibility of more seats opening up! My two sons and I got in on the second round and I have my tickets in hand! Did any other (former) Spider Clan folks get in on the second round?

I'm really looking at Dragon Clan as my Nu5R clan as I have played a few games with them as proxies so far and it is cool to have Ancestral Swords on my guys.