Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Possible Box Art for L5R LCG
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:14 am 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

http://i.imgur.com/2ZpljF9.jpg

From the 2017 Festival International des Jeux in Cannes, France (Feb 24-26). This was up in the FFG area, apparently.

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

Susumu Naishi in Winter Court 4

Post subject: Re: Possible Box Art for L5R LCG
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:05 am 
Dark Rhetoric

in the facebook thread where this was posted, they also provided this:
Quote:
"Terra Ludica: Pour l'histoire ils font un reboot via le JDR. Donc on oublie tous les chemins pris par la V1 sur la storyline."

Google translate:

"Terra Ludica: For the story they make a reboot via the JDR. So we forget all the paths taken by the V1 on the storyline."

JDR = RPG

make of that what you will, but between the mon's and that comment, its feeling increasingly like we're on a train to bonetown

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:48 pm 
The Lucid Dream

Ah well, C'est la vie.

I'll give the game a look when details start dropping, but, honestly, NONE of the other clans ever interested me, not mechanically, and not story-wise. I was always drawn to the Shadowlands, to monsters, to darkness, and to the corrupted humanity of the Lost.

None of this should surprise given that I play Chaos in both Warhammers, along with Vampire Counts in Fantasy.

The game will get a look from me, but unless I feel that 'draw' that I feel towards a faction - in any game - that compels me to play them, I can't justify spending coin on the game.

Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many. - The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:01 pm 
Dark Rhetoric

i think its pretty disappointing if they reboot the game entirely back to clan wars or something. l5r's best part is its story. seems dumb as fuck to throw that away. i'll give it a chance, and see what they give us in terms of the chance to build new story. i'm very confident that if it doesn't launch with playable shadowlands, then one will be shortly forthcoming.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:22 pm 
Black Guard

I agree about some sort of Shadowlands faction being added in an expansion Cielago. I actually think it would be pretty wild for them to get added in as a faction in a Terminal Directive style campaign expansion.

As for the story, I'm honestly kind of neutral on it. I can see the advantage of a full reboot. Telling a story using the same setting and themes, but hopefully avoiding the same pitfalls the original stuff fell into could very well be a very satisfying experience (especially if they reduce the pace of the story and let it breathe more, like maybe have an arc be told over a 4 year period or something so there's not constant pressure to keep having a new big bad or whatever).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:22 pm 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

If we see a return of Yogo Junzo's Army, I might actually back that over playing the Naga again. Which would be WEIRD.

I am looking at a full reboot with the simple attitude of "If it's L5R and fun to play, I'm in." It will not matter what deck I put on the table. I'll be a Spider Clan player, pushing the Spider Clan agenda when and where I can.

I haven't fought years of other L5R players saying horrible things about the Spider Clan just to stop now.

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:11 am 
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan

Well, if they retcon the story then that means that we won the CCG as we will never see the Spider fall from glory! :peasant:

But also, it means that the Yogo Junzo style hordes will definably be a thing in an expansion or two.

We will be back, the Spider or any form of the hordes, will always be there to corrupt the clans.

Until then I'm planning on just piggy backing another clan, if I win anything corrupting the shit out of them, and then when I get my evil mojo back get back to work.

Remember, the 9th Kami is the best Kami. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. ;)

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:00 am 
Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod

One thing we really have to focus on and remember...don't take this personally. Any decision on which playable factions to include was going to end up pissing someone off. I'm sure FFG spent considerable time over that choice, and didn't reach a conclusion lightly.

I would urge anyone complaining or thinking of quitting to remember that currently we have incomplete information and no actual game. For me, the game deserves at least a chance to win me over.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:11 am 
Dark Rhetoric

Hinomura wrote:
One thing we really have to focus on and remember...don't take this personally. Any decision on which playable factions to include was going to end up pissing someone off. I'm sure FFG spent considerable time over that choice, and didn't reach a conclusion lightly.

I would urge anyone complaining or thinking of quitting to remember that currently we have incomplete information and no actual game. For me, the game deserves at least a chance to win me over.

yeah, especially considering what we're dealing with, its very premature to get ones kimono in a mess just yet. we're looking at a poster and a couple vague, unattributed quotes translated from french. thats bordering on a disinformation campaign.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:31 am 
Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod

'Murica.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:02 pm 
The Lucid Dream

Agreed. I'd be shocked if Mantis and Shadowlands doesn't show up in an expansion down the road, somewhere. FFG HAS to know that both those Clans have a fanbase that was active at the time of AEG's l5r dying, and that would WANT to play FFG l5r.

I'd imagine it's similar to the GoT CCG, when it transitioned into a LCG. Dorne wasn't in the initial release, even though it had existed at the time of the GoT CCG's demise. It eventually arrived in a later expansion. I expect Shadowlands and Mantis to arrive in a similar fashion.

If they DON'T ever appear, then that's a boneheaded move on FFG's part, but I don't expect that to happen.

Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many. - The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:24 pm 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

CrimsonEyes wrote:
Agreed. I'd be shocked if Mantis and Shadowlands doesn't show up in an expansion down the road, somewhere. FFG HAS to know that both those Clans have a fanbase that was active at the time of AEG's l5r dying, and that would WANT to play FFG l5r.

I would not be surprised if, instead of Yugo Junzo's Army, the corrupt samurai forces are released as the Spider Clan in one of the first deluxe expansions.

Last edited by Daigotsu Atsushi on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:36 pm 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

If we are back in the era of the Clan War?

I look forward to playing Corrupt Scorpion, and giving all due deference to Yogo Junzo. May he become the villain we always hoped he could be.

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:12 am 
The Lucid Dream

Fair point, we don't even know if FFG l5r will be Story-Driven as AEG l5r was, or if you can even play a 'corrupt' deck, or if such monikers will be meaningless - if wins are just wins and don't mean anything Story-wise, then it's just 'take the best deck'.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:54 am 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

Based on the guy speculation is pointing towards running it (Steve Horvath, VP of Organized Play at FFG and the guy who has done all the press junkets for the LCG so far), I would expect to see a limited amount of Storyline Interactivity.

In specific? I expect there to be a Kotei Series every summer, leading up to a World Championship in November of every year at the proprietary convention in St. Paul, MN. I expect there to be a Storyline element to the Kotei, influenced by Clan Participation and by Winner Choice, measured out over the course of the entire season. I expect there to be a Storyline element to the World Championship, influenced by Clan Participation and Winner Choice, for this single event.

That's it.

So, unless you are playing in the World Championship and win it, or "Is your deck Corrupted?" is a SPECIFIC Storyline element in the Kotei season, I would not expect to see Corruption matter.

Being said? Totally planning on playing Corrupt in all friendly games.

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:39 am 
Dark Rhetoric

sndwurks wrote:
Based on the guy speculation is pointing towards running it (Steve Horvath, VP of Organized Play at FFG and the guy who has done all the press junkets for the LCG so far), I would expect to see a limited amount of Storyline Interactivity.

In specific? I expect there to be a Kotei Series every summer, leading up to a World Championship in November of every year at the proprietary convention in St. Paul, MN. I expect there to be a Storyline element to the Kotei, influenced by Clan Participation and by Winner Choice, measured out over the course of the entire season. I expect there to be a Storyline element to the World Championship, influenced by Clan Participation and Winner Choice, for this single event.

That's it.

So, unless you are playing in the World Championship and win it, or "Is your deck Corrupted?" is a SPECIFIC Storyline element in the Kotei season, I would not expect to see Corruption matter.

Being said? Totally planning on playing Corrupt in all friendly games.

we should quote and pin this, cause i'm willing to bet this ends up being word for word accurate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:00 pm 
Abbot of Shinden Fu Leng

Ultimately I am more worried about the game existing than having the Spider. If they jettison the Spider altogether it would be disappointing, but I would understand. They create a lot of problems. On the other hand, the Horde/Spider faction could easily reappear later, although yo-yoing factions in and out was one of the weaknesses of the original game.