Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Walec left us
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:49 am 
N /\ M E T /\ K E R

It's hard to say for me, but Przemek 'Walec' Kowalczyk, isn't amongst us anymore.

RIP Przemek.

Image Image

Post subject: Re: Walec left us
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:07 am 
Dark Scribe

That's terrible news. I've never met Walec in person, but whenever we talked, he was a great guy. His death is a loss to our community. May Przemek rest in peace.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:10 am 
Gravity Dragon's Vanguard: The Shadow Soul Crusher

Although I never met him, he seemed like a really good guy from what I've heard. I am saddened by the loss and my prayers to his family and friends.

"I crush you"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:00 pm 
The Enlightened Darkness, Scion of the Dark Fortune Shahai, Dark Abbot of Ekibyogami

My condolences to Walec's family and friends for the loss of a great individual.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:31 pm 
Bad Poster

I'm very sorry to hear about this. It's awful news. My condolences to his family, friends and the L5R community of Poland.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:51 pm 
Abbot of Shinden Fu Leng

I'm another who only knew him online, but I am so saddened to hear this. Condolences to his family and the Polish L5R coomunity. This is a huge loss.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:15 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

I remember his always-crazy but always-ingenious control decks. He had a way of looking at things.

A terrible loss.

Condolences to his family and friends.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:09 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

For anyone who wants a commemorative mon.

RIP Walec.

Attachments:
WalecSpider.jpg
WalecSpider.jpg [ 63.99 KiB | Viewed 6105 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:43 pm 
Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod

We share your pain at his passing, and wish we could share more of your great memories - it certainly seems like he left a lot of them behind.

Personally, we only met the once, at the 2011 European Championships, but he was such a friendly and likeable guy, and we interacted a fair amount on the internet. My pick of Goju Sawaki as top Spider at GenCon this year was a direct mark of respect for Walec and all his hard work on our behalf.

Rest well dude...you'll be sorely missed but always remembered.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:55 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

Never knew him. Now I never will.

So long, Walec. We're poorer without you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:56 pm 
The Shadow Khan

My condolences.

Sent from my U8860 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:36 pm 
You don't expect anything, then...BOOM! NINJAS!

I remember when I first started coming to these boards and Walec was here posting lots of things. He was always optimistic and happy. He always amused me with a lot of the decks he built. I even got a kick out of his broken english in his posts and I especially loved the 'Fozzy' avatar he sported.

He will be missed around these boards for sure.

Also thanks to Justin for making that awesome mon! :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:20 am 
An Lemur

"people are worth more than cards"

When I first started playing this game, I came from M:tG. Rares were things to be treasured and traded. If you didn't have a card you couldn't play with it, so like dragons many of us sat on a pile of cardboard that will forever lie unplayed under my bed. When I came to L5R however the above line was beaten into us. "People are worth more than cards." Cling onto those cards too hard and you'll end up the only one playing the game. And thus the entire foundation of this community, in my mind, is born. The story and the cards tie us together but it is the way we value each other that sets this community apart. I've spent the last 5 years travelling the world, meeting people from across Europe and America and my life is so much richer for it. The downside being that dark days, like this, hit home with a lot more force.

I first interacted with Walec, like many of you, through the forums. We had a discussion about a breeder deck during Celestial and we disagreed on a number of points. Stubborn fools that we were. I finally got to meet him in person at the 2012 Irish European Championships. I was running registration, introduced myself and he greeted me like a long lost brother. We talked numerous times through the weekend and we've kept in contact since, meeting again just twice at Worlds Barcelona and at the Swedish Kotei last year where I got to have an excellent meal chatting with him and the other Polish players about everything and nothing. I have been annoyed that I couldn't get to Poland last year for their Euros but that missed opportunity stings even more.

Walec was an excellent player, but more importantly he was an excellent person. There are people in this game who think in different ways to many of us. There have been moments of madness in his decks and there have been moments of sheer genius. He was a loyal Spider/Phoenix player and stuck with the two clans as much as he could. As Justin eluded to above, few people could see control the way Walec did. He had his eye on ninja chi-death control for this arc and I know that he'd have built the MOST ANNOYING DECK TO PLAY AGAINST ever as soon as he got the chance :D .

To sum up what I really loved about the man I think back to the moments I talked to him after his final losses in Ireland, Barcelona and Sweden. In each case he'd played well and had been pipped at the post. Too often in these situations many people, including myself, take this out themselves; they beat themself up over little mistakes, blame the cards, or feel upset or angry. Walec didn't. I've never known a man so accepting of loss who would come up to me with a big broad smile, shrug, laugh and say "not today.". For someone with such a serious game face who seemed so determined in his play, I do not remember ever seeing him outside a game without a smile and that is how I will always remember him.

With the recent death of Josh Davies I found it touching that the community could all honour a player in such a way, but I could not really comprehend what they were going through. Similarly it is touching that many who did not know Walec have saluted him in their own way. For a man who never seemed down it seems wrong to me to mourn his death. I will rather be trying to celebrate his life (thus why I won't be changing my Facebook image, etc. in case people were wondering). I believe we'll be having a small memorial at the Swedish Kotei this year for anyone who is thinking of coming along.

...As always, I've rambled. an Irishman with no one to shut him up is a dangerous thing.

I will finish with one last memory of Walec. I like to try muster a group effort for the Kotei seasons among our community: Last year, some of you will remember, we tried to push Omigawa to become Warlord. Walec made the cut of his kotei and instead chose Goju Sawaki. I did not begrudge him this in any way as I know how fond he was of Sawaki, but later that week I got a PM from him apologising for not choosing Omigawa. Seriously, the guy felt bad for attempting to get some story time for his own card. He even came up to me at the Swedish Kotei and said he was fighting for Omigawa this time, and would not take no for an answer.

I find it fitting that Walec's "Winner's choice" was to give Sawaki the keyword "Immortal". It's also finally given me a goal for this season.

In memory of our ninja brother. I would like to propose that we aim to make Goju Sawaki a Guardian of the Temple of the Three Dynasties that he may forever watch over the wisdom of those who have led Rokugan through its darkest hours.

Rest in Peace Walec.

Spider Clan * Cultist of Boyoh * Goju Informant * The Arbiter of War (of Honour)

Omigawa WC3, Koshin (AGM) WC4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:49 am 
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan

Daigotsu Kitsunezaru wrote:

Its players like these that make L5r really something more then just a card game.

I'm willing to support that. Sawaki was one of my favorite cards in Ivory. If bringing Sawaki back and honoring a well loved member of the community go hand in hand then I'm all in for that!

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:08 am 
L5R Community Organizer

What a great tribute! That was very moving and I salute the Spider community for their support and sincere condolences in this time of grief.

From all of us at AEG, and most especially from myself, accept our heartfelt sympathies.

On a personal note - I very much like your plan to honor Walec and, from one fan to another, I wish you the best of luck with your plan to immortalize an amazing member of the Community.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:43 am 
N /\ M E T /\ K E R

Funeral will take place on 2nd May. There're will be special funeral wreaths from Polish L5R community.

So long, Przemek!

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:52 am 
Black Guard

Daigotsu Kitsunezaru wrote:
and other stuff

I think I got a little dust in my eye.

Vancouver Kotei Champion 2015 - Spider
Top of Clan Vancouver Kotei 2015 - Spider
Top 2 Vancouver Kotei 2014 - Scorpion