Can I ask what the purpose is of prohibiting others from starting threads about the weekly fictions? I don't really see what the benefit is supposed to be. It would be nice to be able to pop on here and start discussing the fictions right after reading them, instead of seeing that a thread was started and locked, and having to wait a day or so to actually participate in a discussion.
1. I don't want multiple threads, which happened in the past, or having threads discussing multiple stories, because that kind of chaos just ruins the overall discussion.
2. As the recently locked thread shows, people other than the story forum moderator have proven to be very bad at keeping to formats. Since we want to keep this area organized, I like to have someone who can keep them sorted.
3. I also have asked that people who post story links post summaries of the story; people also often do not do that, even though it is clearly in the rules. One of the points of this forum is to provide summaries so everyone can discuss the story without having to read every single one word for word.
4. As the few locked threads show, people tend to not follow the rules when starting threads, either in content or title, so I'd rather not have them started willy-nilly. Since I want organized summaries, I have asked one person to do it - one person who cannot be on all the time and instantly post the summaries. She usually does it in the first day or so, and I don't think asking people to hold their posts for a day is an onerous request.
5. I don't want to have to go and merge multiple threads, either, as it often moves the summary post down and buries it.
6. This organization method is actually incredibly beneficial for future new users and players, and they can track down the summaries easily. Many people don't read the stories for periods of time and want to catch up, and this organization means they can quickly catch up and take in all the stories, and the same goes for new players. Having multiple threads doesn't help that.
Essentially, I have two options: have a strict but organized forum where people can follow concise summaries and discussion is organized around each individual story, or random threads with random titles that may discuss multiple things or stories. I chose the former.
I apologize if people feel this is unfair, but I don't think having to wait a day to post about a story is going to hurt anyone or hurt discussion, and I think more people will participate in the discussion if it follows the useful summaries.