Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Story Forum Rules
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:22 pm 
Abbot of Shinden Fu Leng

Welcome to the Shinden Fu Leng story forums!

In the interest of facilitating better story discussion, we are now creating a specific story forum. This forum is for the weekly fictions, fictions published in RPG or printed materials, and fiction in new CCG expansions. All other discussions, such as wider ranging setting discussions, can remain in General Discussion.

POLICY CHANGE: ANYONE CAN POST THREADS, just follow thread title conventions.

If other users find L5R fiction in other places than the weekly fiction and want to post about it, we ask that you make the thread titles follow this format:

[Location] - [Date] - [Title] - [Spider Characters appearing - if any]

So, if you read L5R fiction in the Secrets of the Empire RPG book called "Spider Story" starring Daigotsu Dude and Susumu Soandso on 11/10/13, the title would be Secrets of the Empire - 11/10/13 - Spider Story - Daigotsu Dude and Susumu Soandso.

This is very important for organization purposes.

Furthermore, if you DO post fictions, you MUST post a summary of the story, too, so everyone can discuss it.

Finally, all story threads are full of Spoilers - read at your own peril!

Please keep story discussion friendly and constructive, and follow general forum rules as well.

Enjoy!

Post subject: Re: NEW Story Forum Rules - Posted 11/19
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:32 pm 
Defender of Ugly Tupperware
 WWW  Profile

I hereby nominate a crusade to get Susumu Soandso made into a named character!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:49 am 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

I thought you Spider fans were trying to create a "Kokujin" family? Gotta husband your wins, man.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:18 am 
Cultist

Congrats on the appointment hun. Happy to do so publicly after seeing you wait for it around the house for days now.

Betrothed of Susumu Mai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:12 am 
Story Forum Kami

Thanks, Zenko. C: <3

I'll do my best to live up to my destiny as the Greatest Story Forum Kami that ever was.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:51 pm 
Abbot of Shinden Fu Leng

We have supreme confidence in you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:13 pm 
You don't expect anything, then...BOOM! NINJAS!

Congrats on your newly appointed position, Lisa!!! I'm sure you will do well with the story stuff.

Also... Why is her name not in the red moderator color? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:22 pm 
Abbot of Shinden Fu Leng

Sparks wrote:
Congrats on your newly appointed position, Lisa!!! I'm sure you will do well with the story stuff.

Red is actually the admin color.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:34 pm 
Dark Scribe

Congratulations, Lisa!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:22 pm 
Story Forum Kami

Sparks wrote:

I would not impose on the supreme color that is the red. I could go for gray though. ;D

Shingen wrote:
We have supreme confidence in you.

Most good! "Don't believe in yourself. Believe in me who believes in you!"

Audax wrote:
Congratulations, Lisa!

Thank you kindly~

Post subject: Re: Story Forum Rules
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:22 am 
Dances with Oni

Can I ask what the purpose is of prohibiting others from starting threads about the weekly fictions? I don't really see what the benefit is supposed to be. It would be nice to be able to pop on here and start discussing the fictions right after reading them, instead of seeing that a thread was started and locked, and having to wait a day or so to actually participate in a discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:04 am 
Abbot of Shinden Fu Leng

vlad3theimpaler wrote:
Can I ask what the purpose is of prohibiting others from starting threads about the weekly fictions? I don't really see what the benefit is supposed to be. It would be nice to be able to pop on here and start discussing the fictions right after reading them, instead of seeing that a thread was started and locked, and having to wait a day or so to actually participate in a discussion.

1. I don't want multiple threads, which happened in the past, or having threads discussing multiple stories, because that kind of chaos just ruins the overall discussion.

2. As the recently locked thread shows, people other than the story forum moderator have proven to be very bad at keeping to formats. Since we want to keep this area organized, I like to have someone who can keep them sorted.

3. I also have asked that people who post story links post summaries of the story; people also often do not do that, even though it is clearly in the rules. One of the points of this forum is to provide summaries so everyone can discuss the story without having to read every single one word for word.

4. As the few locked threads show, people tend to not follow the rules when starting threads, either in content or title, so I'd rather not have them started willy-nilly. Since I want organized summaries, I have asked one person to do it - one person who cannot be on all the time and instantly post the summaries. She usually does it in the first day or so, and I don't think asking people to hold their posts for a day is an onerous request.

5. I don't want to have to go and merge multiple threads, either, as it often moves the summary post down and buries it.

6. This organization method is actually incredibly beneficial for future new users and players, and they can track down the summaries easily. Many people don't read the stories for periods of time and want to catch up, and this organization means they can quickly catch up and take in all the stories, and the same goes for new players. Having multiple threads doesn't help that.

Essentially, I have two options: have a strict but organized forum where people can follow concise summaries and discussion is organized around each individual story, or random threads with random titles that may discuss multiple things or stories. I chose the former.

I apologize if people feel this is unfair, but I don't think having to wait a day to post about a story is going to hurt anyone or hurt discussion, and I think more people will participate in the discussion if it follows the useful summaries.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:27 am 
Dances with Oni

Shingen wrote:
vlad3theimpaler wrote:

1. I don't want multiple threads, which happened in the past, or having threads discussing multiple stories, because that kind of chaos just ruins the overall discussion.

2. As the recently locked thread shows, people other than the story forum moderator have proven to be very bad at keeping to formats. Since we want to keep this area organized, I like to have someone who can keep them sorted.

3. I also have asked that people who post story links post summaries of the story; people also often do not do that, even though it is clearly in the rules. One of the points of this forum is to provide summaries so everyone can discuss the story without having to read every single one word for word.

4. As the few locked threads show, people tend to not follow the rules when starting threads, either in content or title, so I'd rather not have them started willy-nilly. Since I want organized summaries, I have asked one person to do it - one person who cannot be on all the time and instantly post the summaries. She usually does it in the first day or so, and I don't think asking people to hold their posts for a day is an onerous request.

5. I don't want to have to go and merge multiple threads, either, as it often moves the summary post down and buries it.

6. This organization method is actually incredibly beneficial for future new users and players, and they can track down the summaries easily. Many people don't read the stories for periods of time and want to catch up, and this organization means they can quickly catch up and take in all the stories, and the same goes for new players. Having multiple threads doesn't help that.

Essentially, I have two options: have a strict but organized forum where people can follow concise summaries and discussion is organized around each individual story, or random threads with random titles that may discuss multiple things or stories. I chose the former.

I apologize if people feel this is unfair, but I don't think having to wait a day to post about a story is going to hurt anyone or hurt discussion, and I think more people will participate in the discussion if it follows the useful summaries.

That's one heckuva dichotomy you're setting up there. I really don't see why you jump straight from the existing rules to barbarians roaming across a wasteland, but it is what it is. You explained your reasons and seem pretty set on it.

And to point 4, I want to make it clear that my question was not intended as a criticism of Susumu Mai, who think does an admirable job. I was just lamenting that I'm usually online when the fictions are posted and read them immediately, but am prohibiting by the rules from discussing them on this forum at the time, and I was seeking to understand why the rules are what they are.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:33 am 
You don't expect anything, then...BOOM! NINJAS!

Its great that you wanna start discussion immediately after the story is released, but the way Shingen has this set up, it supports structure as opposed to story discussion being all over the place. Just because you have read the fiction at the time it comes out doesn't mean everyone has.

Just give the story a little more time to soak in and discuss once Mai has put up the summery. It isn't like you are waiting forever and she's been doing a great job with getting them up promptly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:47 am 
Abbot of Shinden Fu Leng

vlad3theimpaler wrote:
That's one heckuva dichotomy you're setting up there. I really don't see why you jump straight from the existing rules to barbarians roaming across a wasteland, but it is what it is. You explained your reasons and seem pretty set on it.

I didn't say barbarians roaming the wasteland.

The great thing about my job is that I've been doing this for a long time and so I know how things work. Things would be sloppy and disorganized without this organization, to get to the end goal I have. You're free to believe otherwise, but I instituted these rules specifically to make sure it would work the way I like. The posts in this forum that have been deleted/locked/merged demonstrate that even with clear rules, people tend to just do what they want. If I am not strict, then I can't get the results I'd like.

vlad3theimpaler wrote:
And to point 4, I want to make it clear that my question was not intended as a criticism of Susumu Mai, who think does an admirable job. I was just lamenting that I'm usually online when the fictions are posted and read them immediately, but am prohibiting by the rules from discussing them on this forum at the time, and I was seeking to understand why the rules are what they are.

To be perfectly honest, you haven't posted a single comment in any story thread. These rules don't seem to be crimping your ability to post on stories if you aren't posting on stories to begin with.

Based on the daily pms I get and commentary like this, I am well aware that just about everyone thinks all the rules, moderation, and site maintenance is wrong, and I appreciate the input. I will always explain my stance, even if people disagree with how we do things.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:44 pm 
Dances with Oni

Well, that explains why no one ever answered my question about Mirumoto Ichizo. My reply to that thread apparently never actually posted. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:27 pm 
Abbot of Shinden Fu Leng

Thanks to Shiba Gunichi for helping out! As a team with Mai, they will be unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:44 pm 
Abbot of Shinden Fu Leng

Bump - everyone can feel free to get in on this now.