Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: "The Spider Clan and the Age of Exploration Timejump"
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:14 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

I really love your work sekkou

A pity it didn't make the cut for IH2 or the box-set

Anyone wanna make me a price of failure banner? http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=60718&p=1370957#p1370957

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:54 pm 
Dark Knowledge

muchitsujo wrote:
Anyone wanna make me a price of failure banner?

I will think about it. Maybe after I have had some sleep.

EDIT: There is a forum for this, but I figure it won't hurt being here. After all it is almost relevant to... something.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:52 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

It is relevant to my interests yes.

THANKS.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:46 pm 
Dark Scribe

I've noticed something once I reread the text: The Order of Venom isn't mention, nor does it have a member on the Council of the Spider. Granted, there has been some confusion about that order in the past. Originally, Shawn introduced it as a front of the Order of the Spider, but as of the sourcebook Great Clans that concept was put away and the Order of Venom was introduced as distinct order, that Daigotsu took in.

Their leader, Tansen, hasn't appeared anywhere outside of the sourcebook. Likewise the Order of Venom (safe the CCG keywords and Winter Court 3 characters), and telling both orders apart is difficult.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:49 pm 
Dark Jumping Spider

Yamazaki's original printing had him as a member of the Order of Venom, but his experienced version has him as a member of the Order of the Spider. Is it possible that the latter group simply absorbed the former?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:03 pm 
<< Your Title Here >> <<< Ask Me How >>>

Let me add my voice to the chorus of thanks. Only one thing remains now... details on new taint. I know it might be left entirely up to GM interpretation, and may even change from story to story in the fiction. Sometimes a nebulous moving target makes for a far scarier threat. But for gaming purposes, it would be nice to know general mechanics that are intended.

Example... since we still have undead among our numbers, do those that fight along side them get sick if not tainted? Does Kanpeki have sway over them? Does he speak to daddy directly? As son of the ruler of Jigoku, you would think he has influence, but the interactions with the Shadow Dragon seem to indicate otherwise.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:37 am 
Daigotsu's Legion

Salticidae wrote:
Yamazaki's original printing had him as a member of the Order of Venom, but his experienced version has him as a member of the Order of the Spider. Is it possible that the latter group simply absorbed the former?

I swear I've seen something to that effect in the RPG. Second city?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:29 am 
Dark Scribe

muchitsujo wrote:
I swear I've seen something to that effect in the RPG. Second city?

I don't have my RPG books on me, but I don't remember anything in that regard. What I remember is that Yamazaki's background for Winter Court 3 involved connections to both orders. In any case, the omission of the Order of Venom might have to due with both orders being portrayed (both in the CCG and the fictions) as very similar. The OoV seems to be more anti-Taint than the OotS, because the former is a cast-out Brotherhood order who had nothing to with Jigoku.

What interests me more is that the Spider sohei are treated similarly to the Togashi and Asako orders and considered samurai or at least samurai-ish. After all, they have no Family name and many of them have heimin backgrounds.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:47 am 
What the damnit

It was really more of an issue with space. I had to curb some of the stuff I wanted to put into detail there to prevent it from growing too large and rampaging downtown Tokyo. The bit with the Orders has less to do with the Orders themselves and more to do with the fact the Spider Clan was very small at the time, so there was no need for a large Council to run the show. With that in mind, it became a matter of who showed an interest or would care. Michio was considered a good "face" to have on the Council, as he was not Tainted, had a habit of beating the crap out of anyone who was messing with how he viewed the order of things, knew how to conduct himself among the nobility, and largely thought the purpose of his Order was to show strength. While it didn't earn him a great many deep friendships among the samurai caste, he was a good, high-profile guy to point to and say "see, we're totally fine!".

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:01 am 
The Lucid Dream

Sekkou wrote:
Michio was considered a good "face" to have on the Council, as he was not Tainted, had a habit of beating the crap out of anyone who was messing with how he viewed the order of things, knew how to conduct himself among the nobility, and largely thought the purpose of his Order was to show strength. While it didn't earn him a great many deep friendships among the samurai caste, he was a good, high-profile guy to point to and say "see, we're totally fine!".

I LOVE our Clan's thought processes, particularly the bolded.

Sekkou, I will say it again, thank you SO MUCH for doing this for us.

Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many. - The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:16 am 
Dark Path Sohei

So the story about Michio and Goemon was not a fabrication as some people implied when it was published? So he did indeed beat a fortune to death. Since he wasn't tainted did he go to Yomi or what?

Kanpeki is really a different person than his das which is great. Really like his friendship with the Dragon Champion.

Also thanks again for all your hard work Sekkou. Really inspired my group to play an all Spider campaign "Rambo" style in the jungles, fighting a guerilla war against the Lion and Crab as well as against the environment. Yay!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:46 am 
Dark Scribe

Thanks for the explanation, Seth!

@Osoru: To be fair, when the circumstances of Michio's death was presented, it was in form of a legend, so the validity of what the legend Claims was, of course questionable. During the Winter Court 3 play-by-post game, of which most is considered canon, Omigawa (Michio's student) was sure that he felt Michio's presence when he fought or had difficulties to overcome. He inquiried the present shugenja (of which only one was a Spider shugenja in disguise) about the possibility of Michio being a Dark Fortune, but many didn't want to discuss the topic, so his questions weren't answered.

It's possible for someone not Tainted to become a Dark Fortune, though. That's what happened to Susumu. If such a Dark Fortunes soul needs to reside in Jigoku, however, is unclear, Michio's legend says he roams the spirit realms in search of someone who can challenge him.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:31 pm 
Dark Path Sohei

@Audax

That seems reasonable. Maybe when Satsu finally bites the dust they can have their duel at last. But hey I waited years for the final Kokujin/Mitsu throwdown and that never happend.

Btw who was the Spider shugenja in disguise? First time I heard of that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:59 pm 
What the damnit

Osoru wrote:
So the story about Michio and Goemon was not a fabrication as some people implied when it was published? So he did indeed beat a fortune to death. Since he wasn't tainted did he go to Yomi or what?

That entry could be read either way. That was not unintentional.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:13 pm 
Dark Scribe

Osoru wrote:
Btw who was the Spider shugenja in disguise? First time I heard of that.

I don't know if this was ever officially revealed. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't part of the official fiction, though. I don't want to be a tease, but I let the WC 3 players reveal the identity, if they so choose.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:26 pm 
Dark Justice

Such a lovely thread, so much delicious and tasty information *is practically giddy with joy(masked as restlessness in wanting to punch somebody :p )*

And i agree that this 'It was fear, the Champion of the Spider Clan finally knew. Fear of the Spider that kept the Empress and her servants strong. Things were not so different from what they were years ago. If weakness gripped the Empire, if unworthiness sat upon the throne, Daigotsu’s children would sweep across the Empire. And fear of that day would keep them strong, or it would end them.' is one of the best lines i've read in ages and so very very shourido like :twisted:

*finally does the WC3 Obsidian Magistrate dance* If you see a chance to help him advance in a tourney of some sort(obviously would require an 'any spider' sort of requirement rather then 'currently legal') then feel free to go for it, I'd love to see my little 'angel' grow since i want to see the magistrates flourish myself(its why i chose to be one after all). 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:38 pm 
Dark Scribe

I should have taken notes when reading Seth texts, especially because I was going to talk about them here. I totally forgot to mention how awesome I think it is that Susumu (formerly) Masisha, the Master of Lies, built up and led the young family until Kuroko took over. While I'm not sure what of it was canonised, Masisha was Ukyo's character at WC2, where he infiltrated the Scorpion delegation and caused quite some ruckus. I even think he was partly responsible for a Dragon, who safekept the Book of Earth (?), to convert to the Spider, because of a fascination about the Dark Whisper School and the clan as a whole (3rd edition).

I had hoped for Katsu or Omoni to play a noteworthy role in the history of the Spider, but the nod to Masisha is very nice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:21 pm 
A Corrupted Soul

Just popping in to say thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:56 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

I cannot begin to express my overjoy when reading this. I have been looking for a long time any fictions about Kanpeki and our clan Specifically after we became a great clan, and this made me extremely happy. Though I am still reletively new to the game and the world of L5R as a whole, I am and will always be a proud Spider (despite my arachnophobia) and serve Daigotsu I shall. Also I absolutely love the alliance with the Unicorn, as well as Kanpeki's and Naleesh's interactions.