Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: IA Fiction - Embracing the Darkness (basically everyone)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:07 pm 
Dark Rhetoric

http://imperialassembly.com/news.php?news=117

Post subject: Re: IA Fiction - Embracing the Darkness (basically everyone)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:09 pm 
Dark Rhetoric

kanpeki goes to some pretty extreme length to acquire the taint, a whole MESS of our prizes are resolved, a greatest hit parade of our characters show up, and what we've basically all been saying would happen with the susumu is confirmed to be happening.

dang. busy fiction. but very good. particularly liked the first bit. would have liked a little bit of Big Daddy D's voice, but thats probably no shock given my well documented feelings on the subject.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:13 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

Well, Sora just won my vote for "coolest Spider Sohei." Less chest-thumping than Michio, less manipulative than Tetsuo, and still commendably ruthless. "Huh, all my guys are dead. Serves them right for being pansies."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:28 pm 
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan

Quote:
“Thank you, Yurishi-sama,” Kumoru bowed. “I just have one question, if I may.”

“Ask.”

“What am I?”

Yurishi pondered his answer for a moment. The origins of his own birth were a mystery to him. The Goju only had fragments of their old identity. Their fealty to the Spider and the fact the majority of them were Tainted only added to the puzzle of their mind.

“Just like the Spider itself, Kumoru-san, you will have to figure that out on your own.”

YEAH! KUMORU AS A KUMO THEORY LIVES!!!

10/10/10/10/10

Besides that,

GOOD STUFF:

Kokujin have bloody mind control, instantly making them the coolest thing around. I hope they get a real theme in Onyx.

Kumoru just became the most interesting character in the Spider for me. That blurb at the end is from me ranting about Kumo being an actual Kumo on the facebook page... so freaking yeah! He has the same, almost human reaction to his situation as Endo's flavor text did.

Kaede is scary as shit! I imagine her as one of those ghostly white maidens from Japanese horror stories and her voice as having a constant sobbing which shrieks when angered. Spooky...

Kanpeki has a girl! Now all we need is for her to grow up and she will be awesome!

Shiabatsu has only a hundred Spiders... good, I dont like that bugger anymore, serves him right. Besides, the Susumu are loyal to Kanpeki, but really playing off the angles, very scorpion like though...

Iffy parts:

Daigotsu only Tainting Kanpeki when he killed his wife, while drastic... feels really out of character. Daigotsu defied Gods and all hell to keep his family safe, why would he ask Kanpeki to do the opposite. I thought we were going to see an Isacc and Abraham scene where he is tainted right before he kills here to show Daigotsu's loyalty to his son or something. But nope, that was kind of sudden and left a bad taste in my mouth.

Not enough Endo...

But still, great job MAX! I loved it!

Shiba Gunichi wrote:
Well, Sora just won my vote for "coolest Spider Sohei." Less chest-thumping than Michio, less manipulative than Tetsuo, and still commendably ruthless. "Huh, all my guys are dead. Serves them right for being pansies."

I'll drink to that! I almost want to see him tainted this fall to see how he changes :twisted:

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:34 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

TheItsyBitsySpider wrote:
I'll drink to that! I almost want to see him tainted this fall to see how he changes :twisted:

Eh...the Sohei at their best are the guys who go, "Taint? Do you even lift, bro?!"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:48 pm 
Black Guard

I'm really hoping my constant support of Walk in the Light in WC4 lends it to being my guy Kageto being the lone Gyushi smith joining the Susumu!

"I am now officially in awe of Kageto's player for such an awesome quirk on our shuggiesmiths."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:44 pm 
Black Guard

So we have the Susumu with a handful of Bushis and Kageto representing Walk the Light, the Order of the Spider representing Shourido Above All, and everything else Embracing the Darkness.

Sounds fair enough.

That being said, with his wife now dead, Kanpeki marrying the Iweko princess and unifying both dynasty becomes a possibility. Too bad it means pissing off our "allies" the scorpion ...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:54 pm 

Tetsuhiko wrote:
So we have the Susumu with a handful of Bushis and Kageto representing Walk the Light, the Order of the Spider representing Shourido Above All, and everything else Embracing the Darkness.

Sounds fair enough.

That being said, with his wife now dead, Kanpeki marrying the Iweko princess and unifying both dynasty becomes a possibility. Too bad it means pissing off our "allies" the scorpion ...

I HOPE the sohei dont represent the SAA group, Michio was a bro but SAA never questioned seizing the throne nor opposed Jigoku when necessary... SAA was about the Dark Paragons, NOT the Order of the Spider.

Only Michio and Kishida were dark paragon, ONLY them... the rest were samurai. Shourido was their big thing.

I want SAA to be represented by Atsushi or another samurai, not the remnant monks. :(

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:56 pm 
Black Guard

Shourido for the win!! Sora needs an awesome xp personality. Now I'm kinda hopping our themes are undead commanders, untainted awesome monks and ninja shugies.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:35 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

Kanpeki's daughter. Hantei father, Otomo mother.

FTW!

Hopefully the ST gets her mother to be so incredibly smart she sent the baby to be protected by the Seppun. Hidden somewhere she won't be found until she's ready.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:39 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

Good fiction for you guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:45 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

Seppun Kyosuta wrote:
Hopefully the ST gets her mother to be so incredibly smart she sent the baby to be protected by the Seppun. Hidden somewhere she won't be found until she's ready.

Pffft, if the Seppun are guarding her,that means the Mantis will steal her! :P And Kanpeki will LET them!

No, far better that Kanpeki's darling baby girl get protected by an ogre. It worked for her pappy!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:17 pm 
Alleged Scorpion Fanboy

Thanks guys for the kind comments ^^ I've been looking forward to writing this ever since I joined the ST. Now let's get started on that Onyx business, shall we? :ninjafight:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:44 am 
Daigotsu's Legion

TheItsyBitsySpider wrote:

Iffy parts:

Daigotsu only Tainting Kanpeki when he killed his wife, while drastic... feels really out of character. Daigotsu defied Gods and all hell to keep his family safe, why would he ask Kanpeki to do the opposite. I thought we were going to see an Isacc and Abraham scene where he is tainted right before he kills here to show Daigotsu's loyalty to his son or something. But nope, that was kind of sudden and left a bad taste in my mouth.

Yeah, that rubbed me the wrong way too. I'm very much OK with the rest.

Go Kumoru! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:04 am 
Black Guard

Shiba Gunichi wrote:
Seppun Kyosuta wrote:

Pffft, if the Seppun are guarding her,that means the Mantis will steal her! :P And Kanpeki will LET them!

No, far better that Kanpeki's darling baby girl get protected by an ogre. It worked for her pappy!

Gotta agree, the Seppun's protective record lately has not been good. There was a body-stealing super-oni wandering around in close proximity to the Imperial Princess for days without anyone noticing. And that was after the Imperial Library burned down and a gang of Kolat LARPers nearly murdered the Voice of the Empress! Ogre Protective Services really does sound much more appealing.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:55 am 
Crane Envoy to The Spider

Let's not forget what said body-snatching oni did to the Otomo family daimyo. (Oh no, so sad /sarcasm)

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:01 am 
Black Guard

*points to sig* :D

I have to give props to Demiyah's player for prompt action, though. If she hadn't illegally seized control of the Otomo family family in the aftermath, they would probably be in tiny, bloody pieces on the floor, as opposed to merely tottering at the edge.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:33 am 
<< Your Title Here >> <<< Ask Me How >>>

I really liked it, but it wasn't without it's issues for me. I agree, killing his wife was completely out of character for Daigotsu to expect, but we really don't know what the mind of Daigotsu is like anymore. Maybe it is a show that nothing and no one can be cherished above the Dark Lord himself, so she had to go as proof.

I love that imperial assignments were finally resolved, but I kinda hate that they were done in a cast off manner. "Oh yeah, you Spider match maker you.... now, the whole empire is a shambles and your appointment means nothing". This story may have given them a name, but it has no more depth than if they carded them and never gave them any fiction. Or even just wrote a line with their name and title on the main web page. /shrug

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:49 am 
Alleged Scorpion Fanboy

Yeah, I know the timing for the Imperial assignments is not the best, but sadly there's no going back on things. I just went with "better later than never". At least now they'be been named and mentioned, so they might be used in later stories.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:54 am 
Daigotsu's Legion

Daidoji Tacticus wrote:
Shiba Gunichi wrote:
Seppun Kyosuta wrote:

Gotta agree, the Seppun's protective record lately has not been good. There was a body-stealing super-oni wandering around in close proximity to the Imperial Princess for days without anyone noticing. And that was after the Imperial Library burned down and a gang of Kolat LARPers nearly murdered the Voice of the Empress! Ogre Protective Services really does sound much more appealing.

This is so sad. But it is true. The Seppun has been failing since the last Hantei. Iweko only survived because she's Divine and all. Chances are Seiken is also going down. Another one for the record after the blade.

I think the Seppun could start protecting their charges as ogres do, yes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:12 am 
Daigotsu's Legion

Seppun Kyosuta wrote:
This is so sad. But it is true. The Seppun has been failing since the last Hantei. Iweko only survived because she's Divine and all. Chances are Seiken is also going down. Another one for the record after the blade.

I think the Seppun could start protecting their charges as ogres do, yes.

Marry ogres into the Seppun family? I'm fairly certain the Imperial Matchmaker wouldn't object to it ;)

Sad to see Machiko die that way, it feels like a bit of a waste. Although if Jigoku ressurects her as some kind of pseudo-Oni or Hyakuhei, I'd be fine with that. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:45 am 
The Lucid Dream

'Then they were unworthy'. Our monks, and Shourido in a nutshell, right there. Hells yeah! The monk section was the high point of a generally high point of fiction.

The only downside was how choppy the Kanpeki section felt, and, yes, a bit rushed as well. And yes, how 'in passing' the resolution of our prizes were, but Max is right that better rushed than never, and after waiting so long for them, at least we've finally got them named, so I understand his reasons.

Otherwise, the Ninjas, Chuda, Monks, Susumu? Good stuff all around.

Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many. - The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:50 am 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

Ninube Kaede makes me smile.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:09 am 

You know, I turned my opinions around about the whole *stab the wife for power thing* after a good nights sleep as it seems to be more about his sacrifice for his ambition which is fine. He needed to prove his devotion, not to Daigotsu but himself. She knew that and sacrificed herself for him out of love. Viewing it from her perspective makes it more meaningful.

It just felt a little rushed and the weight of his sacrifice was quickly done.

But hey, now we have our samurai Megatron so I'm all aboard for this. I just want to see him break some backs now!

@ Max: you don't have to force this into fiction now, but I would like to later see him suffer from this action in the future. Like someone brings him the fish she would make for him and he almost kills them, or he is protective of his daughter as "she has her mother's eyes" or something that shows the hole it caused in him. If it's the greatest sacrifice he could make I would like to se him haunted by it, quiet moments leading to him reflecting, thinking of her, feeling pain before it is washed away into his rage. It would add a nice layer of complexity to Kanpeki, which he needs.

Besides that... It's an awesome cast of characters. I can't wait to see what happens, especially with Kaede... Scary witch ninja is scary.

If our spider monks ARE supposed to be the Shourido aspect of the spider I hope they go full Michio. I just wish their cards didn't suck so badly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:48 am 
Dark Rhetoric

i've been pondering this subject since i read it and i have THOUGHTS.

Daigotsu the Man vs Daigotsu the God. much as it pains me to suggest that perhaps there are elements that i loved about the former that the latter has no need for, i think we can assume thats the case. and even if its not, just because Daigotsu was a dedicated family man, thats not to say he's going to force that upon every person who wants the taint, his son being no exception. i would argue that in point of fact he's going to ask MORE of his son than anyone else who as EVER asked for the taint up to that point. Because no one else has ever had so much done in order to keep him pure. it has never cost any other human being so much to NOT have the taint. the sacrifice required to throw off that purity must be great.

it has nothing to do with Daigotsu's love of his wife. it has everything to do with sacrifice.

Quote:
But Kanpeki could not deny that he genuinely loved her. She was the only source of positive emotion in his life. She was his link to his own humanity.

Kanpeki's purity was bought with the life of one who loved him. it only makes sense that his corruption should require the life of one he loved. the symmetry is metaphysically appropriate, and that it will cause him no end of spiritual agony will please the god to whom he is sacrificing. His father is still a god of evil, for all he is his father.

edit: this isn't as coherent as i could make it. i'm packing for gencon. tl;dr Daigotsu the god doesn't necessarily use his own family devotion as a barometer for how his son should act. furthermore kanpeki was purified at incredible cost. taking the taint should cost him terribly and the cost should be symbolically symmetrical to what it cost Daigotsu to purify Kanpeki.