Shinden Fu Leng


Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, ENDO)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:26 pm 
Offline
Daigotsu's Legion
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 5:23 pm
Posts: 12
Location: The Shadowlands.
kakita_shiro wrote:
Throwback to that day when Atsushi iced the Crab ringer.

My favorite day...at least one of them.

_________________
Disciple of Sun Doru • Founder of the Butcher Street Regulars
Image Image
Team 23 Mastermind
WC 3 & 4 Team


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:05 am 
Offline
Paragon of Dark Virtue
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:25 pm
Posts: 262
Quote:
“Are you going to explain?”

A skull stared back. Endo’s voice rang hollow from exposed bone. “Neither Susumu nor the monastic orders shall hear from the Daigotsu for a time. You have your own savior, though you do not know it yet.”


Hm I wonder what that is supposed to mean...

I loved the story though.

_________________
Image


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:06 am 
Offline
Black Guard
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:01 am
Posts: 138
I imagine that would be Shibatsu, the new Susumu daimyo. I doubt word has gotten to the Colonies yet, except by Goju-phone.

_________________
As for the rest, I am of the opinion that the Otomo must be destroyed.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:07 am 
Offline
Paragon of Dark Virtue
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:25 pm
Posts: 262
Daidoji Tacticus wrote:
I imagine that would be Shibatsu, the new Susumu daimyo. I doubt word has gotten to the Colonies yet, except by Goju-phone.


Oh I am aware.
However, the idea of calling him a "savior"? Now that was what it was unexpected.

It seems things are getting more complicated. I like it.

_________________
Image


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:09 am 
Offline
Black Guard
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:01 am
Posts: 138
Well, he ensures that they can continue hanging out in the Empire without being killed. For now. Could mean more, though, yeah.

_________________
As for the rest, I am of the opinion that the Otomo must be destroyed.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:58 am 
Offline
Black Guard
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:01 am
Posts: 124
Yeah Shibatsu seems like to obvious a choice for savior when he said 'you don't know it yet'. But whom else it could be will be a ton of fun to uncover! Maybe the untainted Gyushi crew hang out with the Susumu and the Monks.

_________________
Gyushi Kageto * Artisan * Master Swordsmith * Shugenja * Priest of Emma-O

"I am now officially in awe of Kageto's player for such an awesome quirk on our shuggiesmiths."


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:15 pm 
Offline
Obsidian Magistrate
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:10 pm
Posts: 65
Maybe is Tetsuo! Maybe is maybelline ;)


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:38 pm 
Offline
Paragon of Dark Virtue
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:25 pm
Posts: 262
If it's Tetsuo I've be beaming with glee one of the Sohei gets a spotlight.

_________________
Image


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:56 am 
Offline
Obsidian Magistrate
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:53 pm
Posts: 82
Point of Order: Yasuki Kyoko was NOT the Crab Ringer. Very much a player.

_________________
C Thomas Hand
Shi-Tien Yen-Wang at WC IV*Doji Azai*BackHand*Team Stella*Athos
L5R Story Team*L5R RPG Team
"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em."
Image


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:28 am 
Offline
Paragon of Dark Virtue
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:37 am
Posts: 441
Shi-Tien Yen-Wang wrote:
Point of Order: Yasuki Kyoko was NOT the Crab Ringer. Very much a player.


We refer to Yasuki Kyoko as a ringer not in terms of her being played by Staff. She was a ringer because she was built exploiting Different School: Shiba and Reincarnation: Iajutsu to make the single most optimized duelist, point for point at her XP level.

In fact, part of the reason I love Atsushi's victory over her? Is because it shows perfectly that the dice in L5R RPG are a cruel, capricious mistress. You can exploit all you want, all you will swing is the average roll. When your life is on the line for a single roll, you never know what will happen.

_________________
David Gordon Buresh
Doomsayer

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

Susumu Naishi in Winter Court 4


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:26 pm 
Offline
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:40 pm
Posts: 1137
sndwurks wrote:
Shi-Tien Yen-Wang wrote:
Point of Order: Yasuki Kyoko was NOT the Crab Ringer. Very much a player.


We refer to Yasuki Kyoko as a ringer not in terms of her being played by Staff. She was a ringer because she was built exploiting Different School: Shiba and Reincarnation: Iajutsu to make the single most optimized duelist, point for point at her XP level.

In fact, part of the reason I love Atsushi's victory over her? Is because it shows perfectly that the dice in L5R RPG are a cruel, capricious mistress. You can exploit all you want, all you will swing is the average roll. When your life is on the line for a single roll, you never know what will happen.


^ This!

I had to have someone who understood the rules (because I sure as hell didn't) explain what was up. Now that I understand the rules more... YEAH she was crazy good. I thought Atsushi was a goner.

_________________
Spider Clan ● Loyal ● Samurai ● The Blackest Sword ● Necromancer ● Unique

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:59 pm 
Offline
Paragon of Dark Virtue
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:15 am
Posts: 273
sndwurks wrote:
We refer to Yasuki Kyoko as a ringer not in terms of her being played by Staff. She was a ringer because she was built exploiting Different School: Shiba and Reincarnation: Iajutsu to make the single most optimized duelist, point for point at her XP level.


It was more getting the +1k0 Prodigy bonus for Iaijutsu (normally costs 12 points) for 6 points through Reincarnated by abusing the fact that Shiba Bushi does not come with Iaijutsu as a School Skill while still being one of the "best" dueling schools. Neither Mirumoto Bushi nor Kakita Bushi (the other best duelist schools) are able to pull that off. I would have been pissed if one of the Phoenix Shiba Bushi had done this.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:10 pm 
Offline
Black Guard
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:01 am
Posts: 138
Is that really much different from buying Touched by the Realm: Yomi and naming Iaijutsu? Or even just being a Kakita Bushi/Doji Warrior-Poet? Both of those grant a further +1k0 to the roll (either permanently or when you spend Void, which comes to much the same thing).

_________________
As for the rest, I am of the opinion that the Otomo must be destroyed.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 am 
Offline
Paragon of Dark Virtue
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:37 am
Posts: 441
Reincarnated is 6 points to Touch of the Spirit Realms - Yomi which is 7 points.

Add to that the ability to recover Void in mid duel, effectively allowing a Shiba Bushi with Void 4 to spend 2 Void on the Assessment, recover 1, 2 Void on the Focus, recover 1, and then have Void to spend in the Strike round.

Void 4, Iaijutsu 5 (Focus) - Kakita Bushi w/ Touch of the Spirit Realms - Yomi and Doji Warrior-Poet - Void spent on each roll - Rank 3
Assessment: 10k4 + 2k1 (Void) = 12k5 = 10k6
Focus: 10k4 + 2k1 (Void) + (1k1 + 3) (Technique) + (1k1 + 4) Center Stance = 14k7+7 = 10k9 + 7
Cost: 16 XP (Iaijutsu 1 to 5) + 42 XP (Void 2 to 4) + 7 XP (Touch of Spirit Realms Yomi) = 56 XP

Void 4, Iaijutsu 5 (Focus) - Shiba Bushi w/ Reincarnated - 2 Void spent on each roll - Rank 3
Assessement: 10k4 + 2k2 = 12k6 = 10k7
Focus: 10k4 + 2k2 + 1k1 + 4 = 13k7 + 4 = 10k8 + 4
Cost: 17 XP (Iaijutsu 0 to 5) + 42 XP (Void 2 to 4) + 6 XP (Reincarnated) = 56 XP

For the same cost as the Kakita Bushi with the Doji Warrior-Poet, the Shiba Duelist has the edge in the Assessment phase, which can shore up the gap in the Focus phase. Before they releasted the Doji Warrior-Poet, the Shiba Bushi Duelist at Rank 3 could actually outduel by the dice a Kakita Bushi. Doji Warrior-Poet closed the gap. The Shiba Bushi can still spend 2 Void on their Damage roll, however. Admittedly, the Crane will get more Free Raises if they win.

Personally, I would still choose Prodigy over Reincarnated any day of the week, but that's because 7 Skills at +1k0 is worth 12 points. And neither of these are counting for Empire Rests on its Edge.

_________________
David Gordon Buresh
Doomsayer

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

Susumu Naishi in Winter Court 4


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:03 am 
Offline
Black Guard
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:01 am
Posts: 138
Does the Shiba Void-recovery technique actually work during a duel? It refers to "during combat" and skirmishes, and a duel is explicitly not a skirmish. Does it still count as combat?

Aside from that - even if the Shiba wins Assessment, that only ("only") takes them to 10k9+4, still short of the Kakita (by a mighty 3). If they don't win Assessment, then they're further behind. That they can get an extra +1k1 to their damage roll (assuming they get to recover the necessary amount of Void) is a fair point, but as you say, the Kakita gets more Free Raises, and in any case the difference is, like, 5k4+4 vs 6k5+4 (assuming they allocate the Centre Stance bonus to damage, which they should be doing if the duel is to the death); a notable difference, but not a decisive one compared to having the edge on Focus and therefore getting to hit first.

I am pretty meh on Prodigy, myself. If you expect to use all of your School skills, then maybe - but spending nearly all of your starting XP for Advantages on it (assuming that your game does the common thing and caps that at 15) means giving up a lot of other potential goodies.

The thing that I found eyebrow-raising about Kyoko was that she was made in merry disregard of the GM advice posted against pushing the limit of how good it's possible to be at duelling. OTOH, our delegation contained a homebrew who was similarly specialised in being the best possible Kakita Bushi, so... the real problem was with that advice in the first place, which was silly. Especially all the bits about how "if you're too good at duelling, no-one will agree to duel you!" and "if you're too good, they may sabotage you!" If no-one's willing to challenge you or accept your challenges, then congratulations: you win. And anyone inclined to sabotage you before the duel will do that anyway; duelling is chancy enough that if you have the ability to tilt the scales in your favour, you absolutely should. As Kyoko learned to her cost.

_________________
As for the rest, I am of the opinion that the Otomo must be destroyed.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:06 am 
Offline
Paragon of Dark Virtue
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:37 am
Posts: 441
The take away I get from Kyoko were that Doji Warrior-Poet is needed to match the level of dice a Shiba Bushi can throw at a duel, and that all the dice in the world will not save you.

Personally, I do not advise sinking that much effort into dueling. If you want to duel in WC (at Rank 3)? Void 4, Air 4, Iajutsu 5 (Assessment, Focus), and buy Luck.

When you start breaching the rollover formula? Seriously. Better to be lucky than good.

_________________
David Gordon Buresh
Doomsayer

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

Susumu Naishi in Winter Court 4


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:09 am 
Offline
Black Guard
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:01 am
Posts: 138
Well, on the flipside - what else are you spending your XP on? Most skills at WC don't come up. Combat happens if you follow one of those subplots, a few artsy skills will come up when there's a relevant competition, there are investigative subplots... there are other things to spend your XP on if your interests lie in that direction, but if they don't? A single duel can massively change the course of events. Maximising your chance to win those when they come up is a perfectly rational way to go, even if you can't guarantee it.

_________________
As for the rest, I am of the opinion that the Otomo must be destroyed.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:51 am 
Offline
Paragon of Dark Virtue
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:37 am
Posts: 441
As a GM of L5R RPG for over a decade now, I have seen the Luck advantage win more duels than any other single Technique, Advantage, or Kata. If you want to be a duelist, and you want something to spend your XP on? Spend it on Luck. Seriously. I have never seen anyone not enjoy the ability to take the best out of two, three, or four rolls, especially when you are rolling at the 10k level and your life is balanced on that single roll.

Personally, I would love to see a duelist using Dark Paragon: Insight to get the +5 and reroll on the Assessment phase, as well.

_________________
David Gordon Buresh
Doomsayer

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

Susumu Naishi in Winter Court 4


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:11 am 
Offline
Black Guard
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:01 am
Posts: 138
Yes, Luck is ridiculous. So much so that in Five Rings Online 7, which I am currently playing in, it was housruled from 3 points per level to 5 - and people still take it.

_________________
As for the rest, I am of the opinion that the Otomo must be destroyed.

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:29 am 
Offline
Obsidian Magistrate
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:53 pm
Posts: 82
Apologies.

You're absolutely right in that Kyoko was beastly built. Luck and rolls won out.

Maybe Atsushi is fated to live. :)

_________________
C Thomas Hand
Shi-Tien Yen-Wang at WC IV*Doji Azai*BackHand*Team Stella*Athos
L5R Story Team*L5R RPG Team
"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em."
Image


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:04 am 
Offline
Daigotsu's Legion
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:39 am
Posts: 33
Shi-Tien Yen-Wang wrote:
Apologies.

You're absolutely right in that Kyoko was beastly built. Luck and rolls won out.

Maybe Atsushi is fated to live. :)


...

...

You're gonna feed him to a Kamu no Oni, aren't you? Aren't you?! ;)


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:07 pm 
Offline
Obsidian Magistrate
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:53 pm
Posts: 82
I can say one thing with certainty:

You will see him again.

_________________
C Thomas Hand
Shi-Tien Yen-Wang at WC IV*Doji Azai*BackHand*Team Stella*Athos
L5R Story Team*L5R RPG Team
"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em."
Image


Top
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By John Lee Hooker Ringtones     
Updated By Kieron Thwaites (Ron2K)