Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:12 am 
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan

http://imperialassembly.com/news.php?news=114

In which plans of both the Arachnid clans come into fruition.

Prophecies are discussed.

Oh, and the Crane twins are at it again. ;)

Endo is quite sinister.

The "Bastard Son" of Daigotsu.

The "savior of the Susumu and the Monks.

Lots of fun stuff to speculate about.

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.

Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, ENDO)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:06 pm 
Dark Rhetoric

Lots of interest here. Sounds like our two early paths are being represented in fiction as a split in the clan: the daigotsu with Kanpeki and the Susumu with their new daimyo.

This bit from the very end caught my eye:
Quote:
Was it too late to stop them? Hitomi’s visions did not depict a world of victory. She had shown him a vision from far overhead. An army of Crab and Lion, Naga and the remnants of other clans stood ringed by miles and miles of wasted land. On the other side of that deadly ring was corruption and death.

Sounds like we'll get a reverse of traditional thing going on, with the pure forces isolated and contained rather than the usual arrangement.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:59 pm 
Abbot of Shinden Fu Leng

There's a lot of cool stuff in play, but I'm curious how much will be followed. The Scorpion looking complicit could play out interestingly, and I agree that the split in the Spider seems to be beginning already.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:45 pm 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

I'm wondering if not just the initial choices (i.e. Kuroko:Light, Endo:Darkness) but Shourido above all as well was represented in the Spider section in the form of Atsushi.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:02 pm 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

Daigotsu Atsushi wrote:
I'm wondering if not just the initial choices (i.e. Kuroko:Light, Endo:Darkness) but Shourido above all as well was represented in the Spider section in the form of Atsushi.

Emphasis mine for how I feel, because I think Daigotsu Atsushi in this fiction did PERFECTLY capture how I feel about the Shourido Above All option. He is loyal to Daigotsu. He served as Kuroko's yojimbo, and did his duty. And when Endo tells him that he should take the Taint, he still refused.

Not because it was unthinkable. Not because it would make him a slave. Not because it was evil.

Because he did not need it.

And yet it still called to him.

The hardest path of them all... to hear the promises of power, but to not take them because you do not need them. To choose to keep going under your own power alone.

Perfect.

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

Susumu Naishi in Winter Court 4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:06 pm 
Crane Envoy to The Spider

Throwback to that day when Atsushi iced the Crab ringer.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:43 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

Not a horde player but... THOSE ONIS ARE AWESOME!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:46 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

The fiction itself was cool, but this all feels way too soon. I think what we needed to see in ThA Part 2 was more development on the Iweko-Daigotsu fallout and the escalation of bitterness that led to Kanpeki's rebellion. ThA 1 felt unfinished, and hinted at more to be revealed from Kanpeki and the Iweko before hell actually broke out. This installment feels like the Point C to the previous fiction's Point A. It feels like we're missing Point B--too many important decisions have been made off screen. But I'll keep my fingers crossed for an "interquel" to shed light on it next week.

At this critical point, the characters themselves--their thoughts, doubts, emotions, motives, and nuances--should be far more important than action. I wanted to see Kanpeki make his fateful, history-changing decision (one of the most critical moments in Rokugan's history). I want to be in his head. And in Seiken's. And in Shibatsu's. I need to feel what they're feeling and believe in them as characters before I can believe in anything else related to the story. All of this oni, Taint, and rebellion stuff will come in due time. Let's build up to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:03 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

"What's in the box?!!!"

"Don't look in the box!"

Who's heads are in the bags? Seiken & Iweko or Clan Champions?

"All is not lost unless, it is unmade."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:10 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

Kyoden Kurosora wrote:
Who's heads are in the bags? Seiken & Iweko or Clan Champions?

Kanpeki's wife and kid...

:poof:

(Based purely on what would make the LEAST sense)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:13 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

It's either Seiken and Iweko, or Seiken and Shibatsu.

Daigotsu killed two Emperors, and Kanpeki might just match that legacy. I can see him killing Seiken first, then coldly congratulating Shibatsu on his ascension before killing him, too.

But as dramatic as that would be, I would prefer to see more interaction between Kanpeki and Shibatsu as their relationship gradually deteriorates. There's room for plenty of drama here.

Shibatsu is one of my favorite characters. I want to be really affected when he dies.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:32 pm 
Crane Envoy to The Spider

Story Team can't spend too much time in one fiction trilogy in one person's head or perspective. They need to show the state of the Empire and the Clans at the start of the CCG expansion. Subsequent installments will have to cover that ground.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:45 pm 
Dark Rhetoric

it won't be seiken, because we know he's the emperor in exile during Kanpeki's reign. it probably won't be Shibatsu as he's supposed to take over the spider if we vote walk in the light.

to tell you the truth? i don't think they know WHO'S heads are in those bags. i think they just like the imagery, and know they'll have plenty of candidates once Kanpeki finishes playing hide and go murder and takes over the empire. I could see Iweko being one of them though. I could also see it being the voice or the dragon champion, given how much shade the spider have been throwing on their overseers. It also wouldn't shock me Hiromi was one of them, given whats in the Yoritomo's future.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:01 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

kakita_shiro wrote:
Story Team can't spend too much time in one fiction trilogy in one person's head or perspective. They need to show the state of the Empire and the Clans at the start of the CCG expansion. Subsequent installments will have to cover that ground.

While I would normally agree, at this historical juncture, Kanpeki and Seiken have become two most relevant players in the story, and their actions and motives today will shape L5R for years to come. As such, exploring these elements is critical right now. A comprehensive understanding and empathy (not sympathy, mind you, but empathy) for these characters and their goals is essential to appreciating this story and bringing it to life. These should be adequately explored before we jump headlong into the action.

Build intriguing, fascinating characters first, then give them conflict, and the story will take care of itself. Even a weak story can be saved by strong characters, but only rarely can undeveloped characters be rescued by a strong story.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:25 pm 
Cultist

Baseless head-in-a-bag speculation: We know the seals between Ningen-do and Jigoku were placed by Amaterasu, so it's possible that the Moshi have some role in maintaining the seals, in which case Moshi Ikako could be in the crosshairs.

My Fictions: The Gaijin and the Radish, Divisions, and Opportunities Amid Chaos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:51 pm 
Dances with Oni

Well, that will do wonders for the clan's relations with the Dragon...

Seems an odd choice for how to start the murderfest. Scorpion or Crab seem like the obvious targets, or even imperial families loyal to Seiken.

Maybe there's a particualr objective the Dragon are in the way of. Something to do with breaking these seals we've heard about.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:56 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

vlad3theimpaler wrote:
Well, that will do wonders for the clan's relations with the Dragon...

Seems an odd choice for how to start the murderfest. Scorpion or Crab seem like the obvious targets, or even imperial families loyal to Seiken.

Maybe there's a particualr objective the Dragon are in the way of. Something to do with breaking these seals we've heard about.

I think it has more to do with the Dragon being in a position to observe the Spider more closely than anyone else. You blind the eyes before you go for the heart.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:48 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

I prefer not to write without at least a general idea in mind for where the storyline is heading. That includes visions of the future. Of course, any plan/plot can change depending on player choices, paths, et al, but there is an existing idea that will continue unless something modifies it.

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:01 am 
Daigotsu's Legion

I think this is appropriate!

Quote:
It was fear, the Champion of the Spider Clan finally knew. Fear of the Spider that kept the Empress and her servants strong. Things were not so different from what they were years ago. If weakness gripped the Empire, if unworthiness sat upon the throne, Daigotsu’s children would sweep across the Empire. And fear of that day would keep them strong, or it would end them.

Post subject: Re: IA Fiction Thunderous Acclaim 2 (Kuroko, Atsushi, Endo)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:17 pm 
Dark Scribe

I was among the most vocal players to voice disappointment and dissatisfaction with the first part of the Thunderous Acclaim series, and I still think it should have been written differently.

But I enjoy the second installment, it even has underlying political plots. That Kanpeki had prepared for Seiken disbanding the Spider Clan is good. However, why he caused all the ruckus in part 1 with this plan already in effect is even less understandable to me (unless he wasn't outraged and just played - very, very sloppy - his part).

Daigotsu Meikuko is a new character and Chris already mentioned that her role isn't over. She definitely doesn't strike me as such a Daigotsu who would become undead and follow Endo to the stronghold of the undead. That's one problem that I see with the Daigotsu going into hiding, it's a multi-functional family like the Yoritomo and not all of them are bushi.

For a moment I thought she might be one of the 2011 prizes, the Empire Greatest Musician, but then her art seems to be connected to a theatres. Maybe she is a playwright or a patron for artists, the Spider bunraku troupes that became famous a few years back via kotei choices?

What's most interesting is that the Spider Clan will split, but no side will be traitors to the others. Kuroko will be serving two masters, like her family is meant to. She is still the daimyo, so Seiken is not yet crowned and Shibatsu is not yet Champion. Others asked what happens with the Gyushi. If the treaties of Winter Court will be canonised, they will have mostly former Daigotsu, Tamori and Moto/Iuchi, so I see them as the ones who remain behind. But even then, they are 30ish characters only, maybe not enough to warrant special attention without a story prize. I'd rather see how the Chuda rejoin.

As for the non-Spider parts. I enjoyed how the Crab were supposed to illegally join a war of honour that could have compromised the Second Wall, but then decide to fight oni alongside the Lion they wanted to face.

The first part of Thunderous Acclaim isn't forgotten, but I'm looking forward to the third installment and the outstanding prize fictions of the kotei season.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:45 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

The Kotei fictions are still in the works. You will likely see Part 2 of that pretty soon.

As for Meikuko, she already exists in the Second City RPG Boxed Set.

:D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:19 pm 
Alleged Scorpion Fanboy

Shi-Tien Yen-Wang wrote:
The Kotei fictions are still in the works. You will likely see Part 2 of that pretty soon.

And I'm so flattered you included her :) *story bros high five*

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:20 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

I can't deny you, Maxi.

Brokeback StoryTeam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:26 pm 
Dark Scribe

Shi-Tien Yen-Wang wrote:

I don't have my box on me. Is Meikuko the spooky storyteller who gathers Information about her audience and freaks them out with her stories?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:30 am 
Alleged Scorpion Fanboy

Audax wrote:
Shi-Tien Yen-Wang wrote:

I don't have my box on me. Is Meikuko the spooky storyteller who gathers Information about her audience and freaks them out with her stories?

She is indeed.