Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: [IA] Twenty Festivals, Part 1 (Kanpeki, Endo)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:04 am 
Dark Scribe

It's difficult for me to comment on the fiction, because I am aware of story spoilers that premarurely were leaked with cards from the July expansion. We won't discuss these spoilers here, out of respect for AEG, though. A very big complaint from me, however, is that the whole competition about which brother becomes Emperor wasn't actually about a real choice, because the main plot for the Spider Clan was already written. It's now revealed that the Darkness of the current kotei season is indeed Jigoku and that the Spider can summon the forces of Jigoku to corrupt the Empire's Icons. There is no way this would have been different if the Spider-fostered heir would have become Emperor.

But after playing Twenty Festivals in the Dublin kotei (a shame that you couldn't make it, Max!), I'm pretty psyched about the future of the Spider and anxious to see if and how our choices will actually matter in Onyx Edition. I'm not sure what corrupting the Shrine to Yoritomo will mean for us, but I'm eager to know.

Even with the main plot of the Spider already predetermined, it's interesting to see how the Story Team adds the details and subplots. But now about the actual fiction ...

They often picked up some Information recently revealed in the Daimyo Project. The surprise about the Kokujin's rebirth, about the Hiruma daimyo's identity or about Machiko expecting a child would, of course, have been bigger without the knowledge of the project already published.

We Spider players learn important things: That the Kokujin feel save and powerful enough to use their real names among the people, that the Undead Legion is being enlarged and will get a secret stronghold.

Also interesting is that Kanpeki envies the Taint, but even although he does indeed now the disadvantages of the Taint, his parents were the two most powerful maho-tsukai of Rokugan, not turned into nightmarish beasts. And with his father now the Master of Jigoku, he surely trusts that he will only gain the useful powers of the Taint, but not disadvanteous ones. Of course, if he accepts the Taint, this will have interesting consequences. Political ones, of course, but he could then also become a maho-tsukai powerful like his parents.

As for Kanpeki's child, I hope that it will be a daugther, if only because a son might, again, just be compared to Daigotsu. Of course, depending on how the hostages of the 2014 season work out, Kanpeki might need to get a second child to be fostered by another clan. Granted, if we are to be the big bad of Ivory Edition, I don't see how the hostage prizes will resolve before Onyx Edition. Because a villain who cannot be attacked by one clan or won't attack several clans might not work for a villain in a story arc with a doomsday prophecy.

What I had hoped for was to learn what becomes of Shibatsu. In an earlier fiction it was hinted that he might marry into the Susumu. Which would be quite a huge deal, and a story detail obviously not predetermined independently from the decision who would be Emperor.

Overall, I enjoyed the fiction and I'm looking forward for more of the Spider story to unfold, including little subplots.

Post subject: Re: 20 Festivals part 1
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:26 am 
Dark Scribe

TheItsyBitsySpider wrote:
I'm not opposed to Spider becoming a vilian clan, we always were afterall, but if it plays out with Kanpeki crying to daddy and such nonsense then it only makes Kanpeki weak. Goodness forbid he ever takes on the taint, that is a smack in the face to everything Michio has taught him and really would be a disappointment. The taint has too often been shown to be a crutch for true villains while the coolest charecters didnt need it to be badass. Michio and Omigawa my two largest examples. Kanpeki was cool because he could beat the lost while not being tainted and dominate them. He was the Monster to monsters and he didnt need to rely on taint. Making him tainted would throw that aspect, the BEST aspect of him out the window.

I have to disagree. As an old Shadowlands Horde player, having a Champion without the Taint, the Blessing of Jigoku, has always been weird. Like a Unicorn daimyo who cannot ride a horse or a Crab Daimyo who knows nothing about how to fight the Shadowlands. Granted Kanpeki having or not having the Taint didn't really matter much so far, he was not weak without the Taint and fought as though he could be tainted. I think the first time in his adult life that his status as untainted mattered was in Max' latest fiction.

As for who raised Kanpeki, he was fostered by the Imperials and the Regent before his gempukku was a Dragon. I'm not sure Michio and Omigawa had such a big role as you ascribe to them. Moreover, if Kanpeki asks for the Taint, it depends on how he does it. If he's all in tears and whining to his father, that's quite different than a thunderous prayer to lend him strength to destroy Seiken.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:36 am 
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan

Agreed with all of this. I originally wanted to help the susumu out, try to win story time for them and all that but with the direction story is going I really don't have any feels that they are worth the investment.

As a result I'm turning my attention to the new subplots and build enthusiasm for the upcoming future.

Basically, anything involving the two heirs was a general waste of our time. Hopefully with Dave on board and with the interaction on the way I am very interested. I know myself and at least 3 other spiders are giving AEG to Gencon to get us on boards and ready to go. I'm excited for everything moving forward.

I want seiken dead, he dies and the mistake and crimes that was the Ivory mega game dies with it. It's MY meta plot.

As for Kanpeki, yeah... It really depends on how it happens. If he is going to become a villain he better be a living nightmare, the end of everything. I'm thinking like Archaon from war hammer fantasy. The dark prodigal son that is the herald of the end times badass! Give me that and I will burn the world for him!

My eyes however are currently turning to the side villains.

Yurishi and the Kokujin are two BIG attention grabbers for me.

In fact you will see my efforts for one of these soon. I've got big plans for these!

;) I'm ready to dip my hands into this game and get the creative juices flowing!

If they give me a reason I will lead my voice to the call!

"Death to the false emperor! Blood for the dark god, skulls for Hantei!" :twisted:

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:27 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

Audax wrote:
I have to disagree. As an old Shadowlands Horde player, having a Champion without the Taint, the Blessing of Jigoku, has always been weird. Like a Unicorn daimyo who cannot ride a horse or a Crab Daimyo who knows nothing about how to fight the Shadowlands

Or a Kakita Daimyo who can't duel?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:31 pm 
Dark Scribe

Agreed with all of this. I originally wanted to help the susumu out, try to win story time for them and all that but with the direction story is going I really don't have any feels that they are worth the investment.

I won't call the Susumu done till I see it. After all, it ain't over till the fat lady sings. And Susumu-related icons can be chosen during the kotei season for Onyx Edition. So whatever is going to happen to the Spider, it might all be over in 2016 already. We'll have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:45 pm 
Dark Scribe

Shiba Gunichi wrote:

Right, but the Kakita have a twenty year-old identiy and an established stereotype. So deviating from it is much easier and causes less problems.

I'd also hold that the current stereotype for the Daigotsu Family wasn't embodied nor created by Daigotsu and while Kanpeki does a good job at it, his character Background makes him quite an oddball, let alone being the son of the Master of Jigoku. Granted, he's not a demi-god as Togashi's son was, but a Spider/Horde Champion without Taint will always be quite unusual.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:54 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

Well, there's always the possibility of a Spider schism, too...I mean, the Chuda already took their ball and left over not being allowed on the regency council...

So some staying (Susumu, mostly, let's not kid ourselves- everybody else has been shown to be a bit more keen to blatantly rip off heads, but maybe some Marigold Sparrow and an untainted Daigotsu or three, probably with a name change, Kanpeki's wife and unTainted baby*, the non-Maho Gyushi) and most leaving (the Goju, the Ninube, the vast majority of the Daigotsu, the few Chuda holdouts)

* Of course, if the Spider say, "you people should have listened. Now we're going to show you why you should fear us" and PARTIALLY take up arms against the Empire, but leave behind a reserve of the people who played nice to act as both go-betweens and as a chance for the Empire to see the error of its ways after a few massive Jigoku incursions? Maybe by, say, betrothing Kanpeki's kid to the new Emperor's kid?

That could actually do a lot to satisfy multiple camps of Spider fans

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:22 pm 
Dark Rhetoric

Audax wrote:
It's difficult for me to comment on the fiction, because I am aware of story spoilers that premarurely were leaked with cards from the July expansion. We won't discuss these spoilers here, out of respect for AEG, though. A very big complaint from me, however, is that the whole competition about which brother becomes Emperor wasn't actually about a real choice, because the main plot for the Spider Clan was already written. It's now revealed that the Darkness of the current kotei season is indeed Jigoku and that the Spider can summon the forces of Jigoku to corrupt the Empire's Icons. There is no way this would have been different if the Spider-fostered heir would have become Emperor.

But after playing Twenty Festivals in the Dublin kotei (a shame that you couldn't make it, Max!), I'm pretty psyched about the future of the Spider and anxious to see if and how our choices will actually matter in Onyx Edition. I'm not sure what corrupting the Shrine to Yoritomo will mean for us, but I'm eager to know.

Even with the main plot of the Spider already predetermined, it's interesting to see how the Story Team adds the details and subplots. But now about the actual fiction ...

They often picked up some Information recently revealed in the Daimyo Project. The surprise about the Kokujin's rebirth, about the Hiruma daimyo's identity or about Machiko expecting a child would, of course, have been bigger without the knowledge of the project already published.

We Spider players learn important things: That the Kokujin feel save and powerful enough to use their real names among the people, that the Undead Legion is being enlarged and will get a secret stronghold.

Also interesting is that Kanpeki envies the Taint, but even although he does indeed now the disadvantages of the Taint, his parents were the two most powerful maho-tsukai of Rokugan, not turned into nightmarish beasts. And with his father now the Master of Jigoku, he surely trusts that he will only gain the useful powers of the Taint, but not disadvanteous ones. Of course, if he accepts the Taint, this will have interesting consequences. Political ones, of course, but he could then also become a maho-tsukai powerful like his parents.

As for Kanpeki's child, I hope that it will be a daugther, if only because a son might, again, just be compared to Daigotsu. Of course, depending on how the hostages of the 2014 season work out, Kanpeki might need to get a second child to be fostered by another clan. Granted, if we are to be the big bad of Ivory Edition, I don't see how the hostage prizes will resolve before Onyx Edition. Because a villain who cannot be attacked by one clan or won't attack several clans might not work for a villain in a story arc with a doomsday prophecy.

What I had hoped for was to learn what becomes of Shibatsu. In an earlier fiction it was hinted that he might marry into the Susumu. Which would be quite a huge deal, and a story detail obviously not predetermined independently from the decision who would be Emperor.

Overall, I enjoyed the fiction and I'm looking forward for more of the Spider story to unfold, including little subplots.

oh man i just had a flash of i dunno what to call it but can you imagine a future in which Kanpeki's son, in order to protect him, spends his time in Jigoku with Grandpa Daigotsu? that'd be baller.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:37 pm 
Dark Scribe

Shiba Gunichi wrote:
Well, there's always the possibility of a Spider schism, too... [...] That could actually do a lot to satisfy multiple camps of Spider fans

Possible. And it wouldn't render our 2011 kotei prizes useless, prizes Max and Hand said they have on their list to be resolved. As the arc's villain, Seiken should not reward the Spider for opposition by granting them important Imperial posistions, nor should the Spider have the Empire'S Greatest Jade Works as army of Jigoku. Unless they conquer it, so it might not been used.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:43 pm 
Dark Scribe

daigotsu cielago wrote:
oh man i just had a flash of i dunno what to call it but can you imagine a future in which Kanpeki's son, in order to protect him, spends his time in Jigoku with Grandpa Daigotsu? that'd be baller.

I'm still hoping for Fu Leng's Soul to be reborn. :mrgreen: But two reincarnated Kami in the same story arc is surely stretching it. Of course, I would want for Fu Leng reborn to be more like a semi-god(des) than like Naleesh. But that's because I like to see differences between mortals and the divine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:46 pm 

Audax wrote:
daigotsu cielago wrote:

I'm still hoping for Fu Leng's Soul to be reborn. :mrgreen: But two reincarnated Kami in the same story arc is surely stretching it. Of course, I would want for Fu Leng reborn to be more like a semi-god(des) than like Naleesh. But that's because I like to see differences between mortals and the divine.

Kanpeki IS having a child................Just Saying....... 8-)

Man, It would be too perfect...

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:49 pm 
Dark Rhetoric

So Fu Leng would be Daigotsu's god, little brother by way of possession, as well as grandson? more twists than the Summer-Grey family tree...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:56 pm 
Dark Scribe

daigotsu cielago wrote:
So Fu Leng would be Daigotsu's god, little brother by way of possession, as well as grandson? more twists than the Summer-Grey family tree...

I wasn't trying to make up the worst inbred family of all of Rokugan, really. But karma decides on where you get reborn into, and saving the Empire from a gaijin goddess could possibly balance the unsuccessful attempts of destroying the Empire and ensure a pretty high status rebirth, right? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:13 pm 
<< Your Title Here >> <<< Ask Me How >>>

Very well written fiction. Great stuff.....

But, the fact that nothing the Spider, and some other clans, did in WC4 will matter tastes like ash on the tongue. Unrealized Spider rewards from previous wins will never likely happen now. How can they? Turning to Emma-O and denying the taint? That doesn't seem to be in our future. The Tamori/Gyushi marriages and keeping the new Shugenja school taint free? Doesn't seem likely. Lands changing hands to the Spider? Food and goods trading?

Now sure, for some of this the drama can be that the deals WERE made, and now the events throw things into a tail spin. But for some, it just nullifies the whole ideas.

Kanpeki turning to the taint is failure. Period. It means Shourido failed. It means he (and by extension the Spider) were not stronger than others. Could not prove they were better without a crutch. So in this fiction, his seeming longing for some juju seems like weakness. This saddens me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:55 pm 

i3ullseye wrote:
Kanpeki turning to the taint is failure. Period. It means Shourido failed. It means he (and by extension the Spider) were not stronger than others. Could not prove they were better without a crutch. So in this fiction, his seeming longing for some juju seems like weakness. This saddens me.

This discribes my feelings perfectly. When it was described that he wasn't tainted, and that was the interesting part of him, having him become tainted doesnt really make me care for him more, or less.

It has the potential to be great, to be the beginning of the endtimes and the ascension of a demigod to the divine damnation he rightfully deserves, the true ascention of a shadow emperor worthy of matching the false dynasty. It could be Kanpeki taking on the taint to give him the power to save his people and his family. It could even be the necessary ritual to destroy his enemies today to buy a future for his child. All of these could be great, it could be a tremendous moment in lore and I hope and pray that story REALLY gives this the attention it needs.

Because if they mess that moment up it will be hated forever by fans. They have scant months to make this work. I hope they do well.

If they are going to throw away 4 years of clan development, WC4, and everything major about the clan based spider they better make it worth it. :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:57 am 
You don't expect anything, then...BOOM! NINJAS!

i3ullseye wrote:

This discribes my feelings perfectly. When it was described that he wasn't tainted, and that was the interesting part of him, having him become tainted doesnt really make me care for him more, or less.

I guess I don't understand how Kanpeki using his father's gift is a failure. Hell, Daigotsu had the taint all his life and he is the inventor of Shourido! By Kanpeki accepting the taint, he accepts his lineage, his birthright. He becomes a whole person in which nobody can stop. He becomes the most powerful mortal in the entire empire! It's his destiny!! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:50 am 
Dark Screwup

Quote:

I don't remember Shourido having an "invalid if tainted" clause.

Spider Clan * Samurai * Cavalry * Conqueror * Paragon * Dark Screwup * Shadowlands
When Thrakhath enters play, lose 2 honor.
Will join a Unicorn Clan player for 2 less gold.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:09 am 

Many (most?) of our monks used the tenets of Shourido to show their strength without taking the easy way out with the taint. It was used at first to curb/control the taint among the lost, and then it taught strength without needing the crutch of the taint. Fictions, and player actions in both WC3 and WC4 all support this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:14 am 
You don't expect anything, then...BOOM! NINJAS!

Naw... all that was to show everyone that you have strength without the taint. That's all.

The taint isn't a crutch. People need to stop thinking this way. The taint unleashes your FULL potential. It's a blessing, remember?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:10 am 

Sparks wrote:
Naw... all that was to show everyone that you have strength without the taint. That's all.

The taint isn't a crutch. People need to stop thinking this way. The taint unleashes your FULL potential. It's a blessing, remember?

If by "full potential" you mean an utter slave to the master of Jigoku entirely and a mere puppet in his schemes as your FULL potential... then yeah. I've read the RPG on taint, its just super evil steroid cancer.

Having tainted shock troops that were conquerors for the spider, that was cool. I enjoyed that in Emperor edition. Making everyone drink the kool-aid is BORING however. The Susumu were cool as they were untainted master of shourido, but even the RPG supplement says that their times of trying to be untainted might be unnecessary soon.

Remember, I wanted to stay a great clan and wanted a shourido clan. The clan of those who desire to reach their full potential and damn any Bushido virtues that try to stop them. It was a workable concept but Noooooooo... Kanpeki is on his way to royal screw that nonesense. Why? So we can be big and scary for a year or two and then lose and become Saturday morning villains?

They could have brought hoards back instead of Naga. The chuda were unaligned, the Ninja could have been sent out, the oni could have been brought back, and the goblins could have gotten a deck. They just needed a stronghold for them and there you go. BUT NOOOOOOO we have to throw 4 years of story development out the window and flip off the fans by actually lying to them and telling them their clan status is not threatened while they screw us anyway.

Bringing back Hoards would have solved a ton of problems, the Hoards players could have had their old nostalgia back without screwing everyone that actually cared about being a great clan.

ALL the talks of "Shiabatsu Matters" has devolved into literally nothing. He screws us just like Seiken does, making the whole thing completely meaningless. Our clan letter meant LITERALLY NOTHING, even if we won. All we did was bicker over a name, nothing more.

We are on our way to completely abandoning the whole point of Spider, to corrupt them from the inside out. With that gone then the faction I signed on too is gone as well. The fun of L5R to me is the samurai drama, but hoards didnt have that. You didnt get to be a part of the fun, just being the catalyst of the drama. I wanted to be a part of the empire and have fun with it. At the rate story is going, that's simply not going to happen.

I'm sure story is going to be interesting and player interaction will be awesome with the new system, but it will start too late to save the direction I wanted spider to go. I'm not abandoning spider yet, but I have looked into other options.

Being a "clan" of oni waiting for other clans to win story prizes and stop us is NOT on my list of wants from this game.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:23 am 
Bad Poster

If Jigoku is a spider, the taint is the digestive enzymes it uses to eat you. The other stuff (powers, sociopathy, etc.) is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

Also, I am not giving up on great clanhood for the Spider. The community went through too much to get it and it would just be fantastically shitty for AEG to just go, “welp you guys had a good run see ya.”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:32 am 
Master of Undeath

Sparks wrote:

If by "full potential" you mean an utter slave to the master of Jigoku entirely and a mere puppet in his schemes as your FULL potential... then yeah. I've read the RPG on taint, its just super evil steroid cancer.

Having tainted shock troops that were conquerors for the spider, that was cool. I enjoyed that in Emperor edition. Making everyone drink the kool-aid is BORING however. The Susumu were cool as they were untainted master of shourido, but even the RPG supplement says that their times of trying to be untainted might be unnecessary soon.

Remember, I wanted to stay a great clan and wanted a shourido clan. The clan of those who desire to reach their full potential and damn any Bushido virtues that try to stop them. It was a workable concept but Noooooooo... Kanpeki is on his way to royal screw that nonesense. Why? So we can be big and scary for a year or two and then lose and become Saturday morning villains?

They could have brought hoards back instead of Naga. The chuda were unaligned, the Ninja could have been sent out, the oni could have been brought back, and the goblins could have gotten a deck. They just needed a stronghold for them and there you go. BUT NOOOOOOO we have to throw 4 years of story development out the window and flip off the fans by actually lying to them and telling them their clan status is not threatened while they screw us anyway.

Bringing back Hoards would have solved a ton of problems, the Hoards players could have had their old nostalgia back without screwing everyone that actually cared about being a great clan.

ALL the talks of "Shiabatsu Matters" has devolved into literally nothing. He screws us just like Seiken does, making the whole thing completely meaningless. Our clan letter meant LITERALLY NOTHING, even if we won. All we did was bicker over a name, nothing more.

We are on our way to completely abandoning the whole point of Spider, to corrupt them from the inside out. With that gone then the faction I signed on too is gone as well. The fun of L5R to me is the samurai drama, but hoards didnt have that. You didnt get to be a part of the fun, just being the catalyst of the drama. I wanted to be a part of the empire and have fun with it. At the rate story is going, that's simply not going to happen.

I'm sure story is going to be interesting and player interaction will be awesome with the new system, but it will start too late to save the direction I wanted spider to go. I'm not abandoning spider yet, but I have looked into other options.

Being a "clan" of oni waiting for other clans to win story prizes and stop us is NOT on my list of wants from this game.

You keep talking like the goal of the Spider is the same as the Shadowlands. The Spider seeks not to burn the Empire, but to own it.

Quote:
Jigoku claims all. Spring blossoms burn. A new darkness ascends.

Light becomes slivers, becomes splinters, pinpricks of hope in the curtain of night,

Shadows battle for dominance, the lost reclaim their birthright,

The Empire will shatter.

Just grabbing a section of the dark prophecy, there is definitely more than one way to read it. But I know a certain someone, who has a very certain birthright. And if that birthright is claimed, who is the Great Clan then? /twirls moustache

RIP Egg of P'an Ku
Long Live Susumu Takuan! https://github.com/gryffon/SusumuTakuan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:18 am 

People have been treating Spider like it was still "Us versus THEM" since we became a great clan. Once we are truly back to "US versus THEM" however, all our wins become unique and isolated stuff. It is 9 clans against us. And even if the story dictates that the Spider/Evil have the power and resources to make the entire empire tremble, that will never be reflected in the CCG. Unless tournaments keep having some kind of "but if Spider wins" clause, then we will be left out of chances to influence this story much again. We can't influence the system without being part of that system.

If this was purely fictions, then great. I don't think many people are going to be happy if we just move to Daigotsu 2.0, and people are going to cry plot armor and all that jazz again. If it was fiction and RPG? Sure, that would be OK also. But right now we struggle as a clan within the setting, so it makes sense when our cards reflect that. What I an no way look forward is going back to this.....

"Yeah, an Oni causes fear on a grand scale. It sends samurai running, has poison, and takes about 4 solid warriors to even dent it's armor. This time it also has a squad of goblins throwing spears into the fray to make things harder, and a Maho Tsukai is casting to support them!"

"Oh, but this crane spoke poorly of you in court..... so you lose..... "

WTF?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:23 am 
Daigotsu's Legion

I cannot believe after AEG spent so much effort making the spider a great clan that they would then throw that away.

As was previously stated this could be awesome for the spider. If seiken does turn on the spider (which this awesome fiction specifically states is not the case yet) then they are justified in turning on the empire. We then get to be super villains for an arc until the empire, after fierce fighting on both sides, accept their error and make reparations via the susumu.

But even if it isn't, can't we just wait and see? Everyone seems to be getting angry about things that haven't happened yet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:51 am 
Bad Poster

Dahawi wrote:
I cannot believe after AEG spent so much effort making the spider a great clan that they would then throw that away.

As I said, I don't believe they are. People are literally freaking out about the ‘wrong’ heir taking the throne, when it's become clear the choice was never going to matter anyway. If the Spider wasn't going to be disbanded by Shibatsu, Seiken is not going to do that either.

This turgid King Lear shit about not getting our way is getting annoying.