Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: 20F Starter fiction?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:38 pm 
Dances with Oni

Yeah, the quotes from itsybitsy are somewhat helpful to understanding the discussion, but having the whole thing woud be better.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:50 am 
Master of Undeath
 WWW  Profile

If there isn't anything AEG-wise preventing them from being online, I can scan them all later today and upload them. Any insight from the story team?

Egg of P'an Ku developer
http://www.eggofpanku.net

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:49 am 
You don't expect anything, then...BOOM! NINJAS!

The product is released. If you want to scan and upload, go for it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:35 am 
Master of Undeath
 WWW  Profile

Alright, all the starter fictions for Twenty Festivals are available now here:

http://www.eggofpanku.net/files/fictions/

Egg of P'an Ku developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:55 am 
<< Your Title Here >> <<< Ask Me How >>>

Thanks for that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:00 am 
Black Guard

Thank you very much! :)

And now that I get to read it... the Spider fiction seems a great deal more ambiguous to me than some here have described it. It doesn't say that Schrodinger's Emperor is betraying the Spider, or even necessarily appears likely to, only that Kanpeki is nervous, which is a natural response to change when one's position is so intrinsically precarious.

Also: I see the Crab fiction has Yasuki Aitoko reporting to Kisada regarding the new Emperor's coronation. Someone call the Kuni, there's a zombie on the loose! :lol:

Player of Asahina Umeko at Winter Court IV

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:37 am 
The Lucid Dream

Yeah, that's a great deal less clear-cut than I was gleaning. At the same time, if that was on the boat before we knew for certain who the Emperor was going to be, it certainly does seem like neither Heir mattered as far as the Spider were concerned, we were going....wherever we were going regardless, which is something of a bitter pill, as the Spider fought so hard for Shibatsu BECAUSE we raised him, and it certainly looks like that fact didn't matter in the end.

Either/or, my fault for taking bits and pieces as the whole picture.

My most heartfelt apologies to the Story Team members for that.

Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many. - The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:52 am 
Daigotsu's Legion
 WWW  Profile

Chuda Riichi wrote:
If there isn't anything AEG-wise preventing them from being online, I can scan them all later today and upload them. Any insight from the story team?

For future reference, the general request from AEG historically has been that people not post fiction contained in retail products until at least 30 days after the product releases. They are still a business, and would probably like folks to actually, you know, buy what they're selling.

And, if anyone is curious, yes, AEG would have the legal right to prevent folks from (effectively) ever posting these fictions online, given that by scanning and distributing their work you're violating their copyright.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:04 am 
Black Guard

CrimsonEyes wrote:
Yeah, that's a great deal less clear-cut than I was gleaning. At the same time, if that was on the boat before we knew for certain who the Emperor was going to be, it certainly does seem like neither Heir mattered as far as the Spider were concerned, we were going....wherever we were going regardless, which is something of a bitter pill, as the Spider fought so hard for Shibatsu BECAUSE we raised him, and it certainly looks like that fact didn't matter in the end.

Either/or, my fault for taking bits and pieces as the whole picture.

My most heartfelt apologies to the Story Team members for that.

I think even this (the bolded bit) isn't necessarily true. The 20F story seems to have been basically locked-in due to printing schedules, but that doesn't mean the heir issue was never going to matter. Onyx Edition could, conceivably, have panned out quite differently depending on who took the Throne (or it could have been on rails too, granted, but extrapolating to that from this one fiction is an overreaction, IMO).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:19 am 
Master of Undeath
 WWW  Profile

Chris wrote:
Chuda Riichi wrote:

For future reference, the general request from AEG historically has been that people not post fiction contained in retail products until at least 30 days after the product releases. They are still a business, and would probably like folks to actually, you know, buy what they're selling.

And, if anyone is curious, yes, AEG would have the legal right to prevent folks from (effectively) ever posting these fictions online, given that by scanning and distributing their work you're violating their copyright.

Yeah, I was unsure what the official policy was.

Egg of P'an Ku developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:37 am 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

Daidoji Tacticus wrote:
Also: I see the Crab fiction has Yasuki Aitoko reporting to Kisada regarding the new Emperor's coronation. Someone call the Kuni, there's a zombie on the loose! :lol:

Considering how utterly unimportant his character was to that, I'm gonna pretend it's a different Yasuki who chose the name Aitoko at his gempukku when he learned of the awesome death of his kinsman...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:39 pm 
Daddy's Favorite

TheItsyBitsySpider wrote:
TLDR: It didnt matter if Shiabatsu or Seiken takes the throne, apparently BOTH were going to not care for the Spider or aid the Spider's goals and Kanpeki says "If I cant have the empire, then no one can."

Because remember, the "Progressive/Traditionalist" conflict REALLY mattered :roll: We could have dominated and we would still be thrown under the bus.

Thrown under the bus? My good man, we get to be the main villains this arc! This is the most exciting thing to happen since Daigotsu ascended.

The Story Team is at last giving the Spider what we've wanted all along. Some of us wanted to be Horde. Others (like me) wanted to be a Great Clan. But we all wanted to be the bad guys. That's what the Spider are supposed to be all about anyways, but we haven't been the main villains of an arc since Samurai Edition.

But yeah, I really like to think we were worth more than that to our man Shibatsu. Kanpeki even dressed him up like Daigotsu, for crying out loud.

But maybe now that Seiken has been chosen, Shibatsu will fall firmly back in our camp once more.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:24 pm 
Black Guard

I'd like to reiterate: the starter fiction gives no reason to think Shibatsu was about to throw the Spider under the bus if became Emperor. None. Only that Kanpeki, as his coronation was being celebrated, would have felt apprehension and concern about the future. The fition is entirely about Kanpeki's feelings, and not about what's actually happening - the coronation hasn't even happened yet, in the story's timeline! The new Emperor has not done anything. That's the theme running through all these fictions - no-one knows quite what to expect, and they're all nervous.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:30 pm 
Dances with Oni

Chuda Riichi wrote:
Alright, all the starter fictions for Twenty Festivals are available now here:

http://www.eggofpanku.net/files/fictions/

Thank you.

Machiko hasn't had a whole lot of screen time, but when she gets it, I always like her.