Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hand & Max - Story Team Questions
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:06 pm 
Alleged Scorpion Fanboy

sndwurks wrote:
I will say that the idea of Fu Leng getting reincarnated is one of the things that a lot of the Spider Clan players that I have spoken with would like to see.

Similar to how Moto Naleesh is the reincarnation of Shinjo, we should probably expect to see this come about in another generation or so. Though I would love to see a faction of the Order of the Spider who are completely devoted to seeking out the reincarnation of Fu Leng (and Onnatangu for that matter, as Tsudao is all but confirmed as the reincarnation of Amaterasu).

Back on topic...

To both Max and Hand, what aspects of the Spider Clan do you feel are the central points of their narrative?

For example, the central points of the narrative of the Crane Clan are beauty vs vanity, the cultural heart of the Empire, and the Left Hand of the Empress / Emperor; the Lion are victory vs honor, the righteous soul of Bushido, and the Right Hand of the Empress / Emperor.

As members of the Story Team, what aspects of the Spider Clan make you want to write about them? What inherent conflicts in their nature drive their story forward? What parts of their history define them? How do they fit into the greater narrative of Legend of the Five Rings?

Interesting you point out the themes of the Crane, but leave the ones of the Spider to us. I think all Clans actually have some elements which will always be present in one way or another, while others are more up to us, both as individual writers and as members of the team which gives shape to the game.

But personally, I find the Spider is about power. The cost of power, its use, its justifications. It's one theme all Families have in common. And while Shawn was the one to write it, I think the latest fiction exemplifies this: Kanpeki is distraught because he was powerless. His best efforts were vanquished because the Empress just said a few words (or, well, Kozan did :p ).

What will he do next... well, we shall see very soon :star:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:28 pm 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

Indeed, power is something ever present towards the Spider as well it's costs.
Some of the player base say this goes against the setting...But honestly? I like it. The Spider aren't nice.
This WC4 we all played 'heroic' Spider figures. They weren't nice. They all looked for power one way or another or flaunted power in one way or another, even little Yuna with her Unity movement.

If you ask me, I feel the Spider fit the setting perfectly because they do not get unscathed for their quest for power. They suffer from it. As the setting intends.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:38 pm 
Black Guard

woops wrong thread ... thanks Audaux ...

no question to ask really ...

Last edited by DukeMelvin on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:53 pm 
Bad Poster

Daigotsu Max wrote:
Interesting you point out the themes of the Crane, but leave the ones of the Spider to us. I think all Clans actually have some elements which will always be present in one way or another, while others are more up to us, both as individual writers and as members of the team which gives shape to the game.

But personally, I find the Spider is about power. The cost of power, its use, its justifications. It's one theme all Families have in common. And while Shawn was the one to write it, I think the latest fiction exemplifies this: Kanpeki is distraught because he was powerless. His best efforts were vanquished because the Empress just said a few words (or, well, Kozan did :p ).

Power and ambition seem to define the Spider to me, so I agree with your assessment.

And yeah, I kind of liked seeing Kanpeki all vulnerable and distressed. It made him seem a lot more relatable.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:51 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

Max, I'm glad you're on here too. Let's see if we can get Mari too.

But we should spread around to more active forums.

I'm with my. wife and kid, far from a comp, so I'll respond more to this later.

I will also examine the WC thread.

As a note, I wasn't to address two things:

1. I will be cordial. I will try to answer without being too vague when I can. I am an open, honest person. But please return the favor and be courteous as well. I simply will not respond to accusation in any form.

2. I am a little on edge at the moment. A baseless and damning accusation was made about I and one other gm involved in the WC. It attempted to place me in a tremendously negative light and could easily throw negativity on ST in general. Please be patient with me as I Wu Sa my way through horsecrap.

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:04 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

What!

O.O

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:35 am 
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan

Shi-Tien Yen-Wang wrote:

2. I am a little on edge at the moment. A baseless and damning accusation was made about I and one other gm involved in the WC. It attempted to place me in a tremendously negative light and could easily throw negativity on ST in general. Please be patient with me as I Wu Sa my way through horsecrap.

Yeah, that was dumb. I can understand concern over points being fairly calculated but that was a pointless and nasty attack thrown in. Once they release the points breakdowns everything will blow over. We love you guys ;)

As for story team questions.

When it comes to kotei choices this year, will the corruption option be spider as a clan corrupting icons or will it be like in the destroyer war, where we are predetermining the damage being dealt but spider is not directly behind it. If spider IS behind it could we specify specific personalities to do the corrupting, within reason of course.

For example, could we get spider winners (if we get wins) to declare the Shadow dragon is tainting the icon specifically to make the story more focused on our particularly favorite villains.

I still want Yanjinden to come out of retirement and dream of a day the Kakita school gets a shipment of special katana's that corrupt them forged by our famous smiths as a result of Spider corrupting the icon.

Or specify Mrika for finding and corrupting Isawa's Last Wish and having her unsealing it upon the world.

Could we make suggestions like that or is the exact method of corruption coming in onyx already mapped out.

In the opposite vein, what happens if we decide to save Icons, both for ourselves and our allies and through such aid in saving the empire. Does that effect the direction we take as well. In the event of saving another clan's Icons could we specify charecters to save them to bring the clans closer. Like if I won one (not likely but still) could I specify that I wanted a specific character, like Takuan to save an icon, within reason of course, for an ally bringing the spider and the other clan together.

An example would be saying that spider would save the Shinjo Magistrate School and then specify that Ide Doburu and Atsushi, tag teaming for the in story year of twenty festivals, traveling the empire, would team up with Shinjo Sousuke to save the school.

Basically the question I guess is that if these Icon savings will get story time opportunity if they are interesting or will they just be printed later.

This would have a drastic change on the bounties we Spider's throw out this season. :twisted:

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:41 am 
<< Your Title Here >> <<< Ask Me How >>>

Here is a question.... without any commitment being implied, which stories, plots and/or characters did you guys find interesting during WCIV, and are hoping to turn into some canon fiction?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:15 pm 
Alleged Scorpion Fanboy

TheItsyBitsySpider wrote:
Shi-Tien Yen-Wang wrote:

Yeah, that was dumb. I can understand concern over points being fairly calculated but that was a pointless and nasty attack thrown in. Once they release the points breakdowns everything will blow over. We love you guys ;)

As for story team questions.

When it comes to kotei choices this year, will the corruption option be spider as a clan corrupting icons or will it be like in the destroyer war, where we are predetermining the damage being dealt but spider is not directly behind it. If spider IS behind it could we specify specific personalities to do the corrupting, within reason of course.

For example, could we get spider winners (if we get wins) to declare the Shadow dragon is tainting the icon specifically to make the story more focused on our particularly favorite villains.

I still want Yanjinden to come out of retirement and dream of a day the Kakita school gets a shipment of special katana's that corrupt them forged by our famous smiths as a result of Spider corrupting the icon.

Or specify Mrika for finding and corrupting Isawa's Last Wish and having her unsealing it upon the world.

Could we make suggestions like that or is the exact method of corruption coming in onyx already mapped out.

In the opposite vein, what happens if we decide to save Icons, both for ourselves and our allies and through such aid in saving the empire. Does that effect the direction we take as well. In the event of saving another clan's Icons could we specify charecters to save them to bring the clans closer. Like if I won one (not likely but still) could I specify that I wanted a specific character, like Takuan to save an icon, within reason of course, for an ally bringing the spider and the other clan together.

An example would be saying that spider would save the Shinjo Magistrate School and then specify that Ide Doburu and Atsushi, tag teaming for the in story year of twenty festivals, traveling the empire, would team up with Shinjo Sousuke to save the school.

Basically the question I guess is that if these Icon savings will get story time opportunity if they are interesting or will they just be printed later.

This would have a drastic change on the bounties we Spider's throw out this season. :twisted:

I'm not sure if those questions are entirely for the ST, as Events should be involved as well, but I can say this much:
- It's very common for story prizes to come with additional requests, beyond what's offered by the tournament
- Those requests are not always possible to grant, as they sometimes go against established story lines which cannot be altered

So, my recommendation is this: don't count on any specific personality or way to corrupt or save icons BUT feel free to include suggestions if you do happen to save a Kotei. I'm not sure what the plan for Kotei fictions is yet, but seeing what's offered I'm sure we'll get some cool stories out of it, and the rest of the team is probably as excited as I am to see what gets picked :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:52 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

Daigotsu Max wrote:
sndwurks wrote:
I will say that the idea of Fu Leng getting reincarnated is one of the things that a lot of the Spider Clan players that I have spoken with would like to see.

Similar to how Moto Naleesh is the reincarnation of Shinjo, we should probably expect to see this come about in another generation or so. Though I would love to see a faction of the Order of the Spider who are completely devoted to seeking out the reincarnation of Fu Leng (and Onnatangu for that matter, as Tsudao is all but confirmed as the reincarnation of Amaterasu).

Back on topic...

To both Max and Hand, what aspects of the Spider Clan do you feel are the central points of their narrative?

For example, the central points of the narrative of the Crane Clan are beauty vs vanity, the cultural heart of the Empire, and the Left Hand of the Empress / Emperor; the Lion are victory vs honor, the righteous soul of Bushido, and the Right Hand of the Empress / Emperor.

As members of the Story Team, what aspects of the Spider Clan make you want to write about them? What inherent conflicts in their nature drive their story forward? What parts of their history define them? How do they fit into the greater narrative of Legend of the Five Rings?

This is a great issue to bring up when trying to define the Spider. Personally, I was touched to read that subtle note of defeat in Kanpeki hinted by nothing but a pair of empty sake bottles. That's all we needed to show us a man who tried, was defeated and drowned himself in distraction. He didn't rage, he didn't snap anyone like a twig, he just went and got drunk, which is what many people do when faced with dissapointment. He served his Empress loyally and now after decades, it looks like he's going to keep paying for his father's crimes. That scene more than any other shows just how not-monstrous the Spider can be. Kanpeki wants to be respected for who he is and not what others can make him, and the only people who ever showed him that respect can probably be counted on one hand. Now he's getting short-sticked again and must rely on the only other option he has.

If you ask me, the reason the Spider seem to lack a core identity is because their central conflict is itself identity vs. conformity. Many characters at our Winter Court expressed varying aspects of this: Takada feigns conformity while sticking to the sinister Spider identity. Mori was hammered for his honest opinions about the Taint's effects. Geiko, of course went in the totally opposite direction, denouncing the taint and hoping the rest of the clan sees the error of their ways. Meanwhile, Tsubaki, my character, sincerely believes that she can strike a balance between shourido and bushido and the attempt may literally tear her soul apart.

I hope this give the ST some fat to chew on. I know my efforts these last few months have given me many ideas on how play my next Spider character and hopefully others as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:36 pm 
A Gentleman and a Scholar

how awesome is it to work with that sean carmen guy

i hear he is teh bst

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:46 pm 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

Daigotsu Max wrote:

Well... I was not asking about the Crane or the Lion. Just giving examples. Also, the Crane and the Lion have had 20 years to be able to get their identities fairly sorted out. The first Spider Clan stronghold was in Samurai edition, back in 2007. That is only 8 years, and I think any Spider Clan fan will agree with me on the point that it has been a rocky eight years.

Daigotsu Max wrote:

Thank you for the answer on the nature of the Spider Clan. I can definitely see the idea of Power and its corollaries as being a central factor in the narrative of the faction.

I am going to phrase my next question in a little bit of a different light, regarding Winter Court IV. Since I know you cannot tell us what elements are going to be included in the upcoming storyline for spoiler reasons...

Can you each give us something specific from Winter Court IV that you would LIKE to include, but for reasons you need not disclose, CANNOT become canon?

Not necessarily the same of the Death of Bayushi Atsuto getting changed for storyline reasons, but things in that vein. Something awesome that happened during the game that will never be included in any official fiction or flavor text, and probably needs to be made clearly un-Canon.

Also, if that really is Shawn Carmen... Fred Wan told me you were the one who made the Dark Naga be Shahismael. As a Naga player? That fact made my YEAR. However, I must ask... did the inspiration from the Dark Naga have anything to do with the Dark Naga Movement from the Deep Akasha Yahoo mailing list circa early 2000's? A group which proposed using the return of the Shahismael as a means to return the Naga to the game as an antagonist faction?

If not... that is cool. But as the person who wrote the Dark Naga Movement letter to AEG back in the day, I would very much like to know if the inspiration for that is something I can lay claim to. If the Dark Naga had nothing to do with that group of Naga players, then that is cool. I've just always wanted to know and you have somehow dodged me multiple times at GenCon to get a straight answer.

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

Susumu Naishi in Winter Court 4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:41 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

I am going to try to answer the questions Max has not, but please let me know if I missed one.

Quote:
Here is a question.... without any commitment being implied, which stories, plots and/or characters did you guys find interesting during WCIV, and are hoping to turn into some canon fiction?

I have been farming the summaries, personal notes, my own thread regarding awesome stuff, and other GM and player suggestions for good stories. I want to hit the highlights that may not be mentioned elsewhere, but I am trying to focus on specific, little interactions to help the story along.

The story "Witness" shows part of that. The next WC story will show some more. And we hope to gather the rest in a Winter Court PDF document so as not to lose more interesting stuff.

That said, I might farm WC information (and other ST might as well) for a while.

Quote:

i hear he is teh bst

I heard he has a personal still deep in the hills.

Quote:
Not necessarily the same of the Death of Bayushi Atsuto getting changed for storyline reasons, but things in that vein. Something awesome that happened during the game that will never be included in any official fiction or flavor text, and probably needs to be made clearly un-Canon.

This is a far harder question to answer than you know. Mostly because I am STILL catching up on all the cool stories that took place. If I had to offer an immediate response relating to the SPider, I do not know if the story with the Spear of Emma-O will be canon. I tend to think it won't because while cool in the WInter Court story, it seems a little...on the down low for the spear to show back up in that fashion.

However, I COULD be wrong.

Quote:

The fact that the Spider are a physical manifestation of humanity affecting the greater Celestial Meta. I can see why some still consider the Spider to be representations of pure evil. I can see why some see them as being a true clan with a far stranger focus than any other. The power of Daigotsu and the human aspects of the Spider rising out of the chaotic Horde is testament to the power of the samurai will.

They are a clan who focus on personal power, gain a unifying connection to each from that personal focus, and do not care if the other clans value them or find them worthy. To me, the Spider know their place, even if others decry it. To me, even if the Spider all fell tomorrow, their existence AT ALL shows that from corruption, something valuable can be obtained. They provide an area of gray.

Also, I like the fact that the Spider allow characters who can be more...honest about their motivations.

Quote:
Your comment is nothing more than, "O ya, the air bags can deploy with explosive force, but you survived - so *smarm* its all ok".

Disingenuous at best.

As a note, this was not what I intended by my comment. As a further note, I want to go ahead and state outright that I will be open, honest, and as clear as possible about my motivations in all my answers. I seek to give you information in a useful manner. I may joke, but I take your comments and questions seriously. However, from this point forward, I will simply not respond to questions or comments that are accusatory in nature.

Any other WC related questions should go over to that tread. I am not dodging the question, merely giving you a chance to restate it (in the other thread) in a less openly aggressive fashion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:16 am 
Alleged Scorpion Fanboy

Shawn Carman wrote:

i hear he is teh bst

The bestest, even. :poof:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:02 am 
A Gentleman and a Scholar

sndwurks wrote:
Also, if that really is Shawn Carmen... Fred Wan told me you were the one who made the Dark Naga be Shahismael. As a Naga player? That fact made my YEAR.

Happy to serve.

Quote:
However, I must ask... did the inspiration from the Dark Naga have anything to do with the Dark Naga Movement from the Deep Akasha Yahoo mailing list circa early 2000's? A group which proposed using the return of the Shahismael as a means to return the Naga to the game as an antagonist faction?

It did not. I was unaware of such a movement.

Quote:
If not... that is cool. But as the person who wrote the Dark Naga Movement letter to AEG back in the day, I would very much like to know if the inspiration for that is something I can lay claim to. If the Dark Naga had nothing to do with that group of Naga players, then that is cool. I've just always wanted to know and you have somehow dodged me multiple times at GenCon to get a straight answer.

Sorry man, I would love to say that it was, but that would be me being all devious and trying to make things seem like I am more clever than I actually am.

Where it DID come from, however... if you go back and read Ed Bolme's "Legacy of the Naga" fiction series, when the pearls are presented but before the reader knows what they are, you'll notice the Naga doesn't say "what is that?" before they ship the Golden Pearl off. No, he says "What are they?"

No one ever noticed. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:56 am 
Daigotsu's Legion

One thing I find equally fitting, Shawn, dates all the way back to Fate of the Lotus

If a corrupt Ratling deck would have won:

The Keeper will unite the scattered Ratling tribes and use powerful name magic to revive the Shahismael, an ancient conqueror of the Naga race. With this Naga warlord and his allies, the Nezumi will wage war against the Empire.

So we even had hints of this dating back to then! :o

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:39 am 
A Corrupted Soul

The Order of the Spider and the Order of Venom have been somewhat interchangeable. Are we going to see them grow into separate, definable orders (even if the Order of venom is just a sect within the Order of the Spider)?

Also, are the Kokujin coming back as an official part of the Spider? Or more to say, are the currently printed Kokujin official members of the Spider?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:20 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

So what characters, in specific, do you want to see more of in future stories?

And other controversial questions.

FEED ME! THE STORY MONSTER MUST EAT!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:45 pm 
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan

Shi-Tien Yen-Wang wrote:

While I am sure there are other perfectly fine charecters from the past. Ivory gave me a few that I just really want to see in a fiction or two.

Considering the significance of these guys even existing was from spider players winning charity events and working together to bring them back I would love to see how the Dark Lotus crew is working.

I want to see Jemaru kill shit and kill it dead... not much else to see here folks, just the coolest samurai art work printed in Ivory... Him getting screen time could be cool.

Oh gosh Yurishi... PLEASE YURISHI. Anything written from the vantage point of the Goju and Ninube are interesting and the fact that Yurishi now has the daimyo keyword makes him even more interesting. Dragon child was and always will be my favorite ninja and I really want to see him in action.

Besides those options, Daigotsu Yajinden. He is still out there and the fact that the Gyushi are smiths is just too much of a coincidence. I would love to see Kanpeki ask the old super smith questions or see him make a weapon or two.

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:38 am 
Dark Scribe

Shi-Tien Yen-Wang wrote:

*cracks knuckles*

Thanks for the question, Hand. If we are talking about specific characters, I'd say that many Spider characters just haven't appeared often enough to fill the void that was created when Daigotsu, Shahai, Hotako, Susumu, Sahara and Gahseng died or disappeared when the timejump appeared. I'll try to answer the question bipartide, with the specific characters and with archetypes.

I can second that I'd like to see Goju Yurishi, the Dragon Child. His flavour texts hint at him being rather special and I want to know more of him. Another such gem is Daigotsu Yuhmi. Kanpeki is always nice to see, and I'd like to see more of Daigotsu Machiko, who has yet to do anything other than join Kanpeki's entourage and marry him. That's not enough for one of the most powerful Spider characters. I also enjoyed Kuroko and Takuan during Winter Court and would like to see more of the close relation between the Otomo and the Spider, the good and the bad.

Other characters that deserve some more storytime are Fu Leng, Daigotsu Yajinden (used as a rare treat), Omoni, Taishuu, Daigotsu Shimekiri, Daigotsu Takayasu (Fu Leng worshipper born in the City of the Lost, we followed him since he was a child barely past his gempukku), [url=l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Daigotsu_Anije]Daigotsu Anije[/url] (a Hida who is now a Daigotsu. Great!), M'rika, Daigotsu Chaozhu, Chuda/Hida Ruri and Omigawa (or his clone).

As a regid follower of Winter Court, I'll be happy to see our delegation in fictions, too. I realise that most of the characters above are old characters, but that's one problem the Spider (and possibly other clans) have, the void the time jump caused just isn't filled again; and most characters so far just haven't done as much or been shown as much as old fan favourites. Sometimes a kickass artwork is enough to spark future interests, and while the Spider cards have great artworks, I couldn't say who my favourite Spider character was without naming our old ones from before the timejump.

The archetypes of Spider characters I'd like to see are:

• Priests of the Dark Fortunes (what do people pray to Shahai for?)
    • the Gyushi!
    • the Kokujin
    • Courtiers who serve another clan.
    • Obsidian Magistrates, perhaps as yoriki to another magistrate
    • oni-summoner and maho-tsukai
    • infiltrators
    • sohei who cement a difference between the Order of the Spider and the Order of Venom
    • sohei who are shown doing priestly stuff that clans with more shugenja leave to shugenja
    • scary combat monsters. Maybe a female Hida Sozen among the Daigotsu, hulkish and brutish ;) Someone who shows that the Spider aren't only beautiful women and muscular men; there are still players who believe that Taint is the Rokugani version of a boob job.
    • non-Spider who have married into the Spider for ambition or love, and Spider who have married out
    • (non-)Spider who accept the Taint (are they actually all killed or shipped to the colonial Spider? There must be other options. Is Jade Petal Tea still a thing?)

I'm sure I'll come up with more later. Basically, I want a good mix of good character development that shows what the Spider Clan are up to, how they integrated into Rokugan and what the typical family members are supposed to be. As an old Shadowlands Horde player I, of course, want to see some corruption, maybe cannibals, and the horrors of Jigoku. Since I always enjoyed courtly characters more than bushi, I wouldn't mind seeing interesting Spider characters there.

I would also like to know the plan for the Gyushi. If they become a Great Clan family, who will become the vassal family responsible for creating our clan's blades and armour?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:32 am 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

Shi-Tien Yen-Wang wrote:

Phoenix-wise?

More of the rank and file. For quite some time, the focus on the Masters and the Champions has led to a virtual absence of low-level Phoenix who show up more than once because mega-uber wizards are very hard to present with realistic challenges to their physical well-being.

Now, since none of the rank and file except Eraki and Nairuko have shown up of late, that leaves a lot of blank slates- So, by family?

Agasha: Anyone at all. Since Chieh's day, they've been almost entirely absent from the story, and their switch of allegiance is something that still raises a lot of hackles in and out of the setting, and the last named Agasha I recall who did much of anything was the daimyo traveling to the Colonies to try and smooth things over with the Lion after Kaitoko's diplomatic blunder (and there wasn't any real closure on that either). Even the assault on Kyuden Agasha in the War of the Twins was absent much perspective from the family whose castle it was! Be nice to see more of them. Any of them.

Asako: Going off of flavor text?
Easy on the 20F Inquisitors, because their established perspective seems a bit more Master of Air's Letter, a bit less Blood of Heaven, Blood of Earth/Winter Court- there's a level of outright hostility there on a fundamental level that really does not ring true to how the Winter Court players were told the Phoenix view the situation. Maybe one, for variety.

Otherwise? Henshin are awesome. Asako Sadaki (or our boy Michi, theOni-grappling, Inquisition-joining Henshin!), and it'd be a good place to name-drop some of those courtiers the Phoenix haven't really been shown using since around the War of Dark Fire... And hey, Maemuki. Maemuki rules. And Izuna...

Shiba: Pretty much any of them up to and actually including our Clan Champ. Yeah, the Phoenix are huge on shugenja and mysticism... but the Shiba are the family of the founding Kami and the one family of the Phoenix Clan almost everyone in the Empire respects. But while all Shiba in the CCG are yojimbo, in practice, they have quite a few who aren't, and a non-yojimbo Shiba could be fun. Required Winter Court homebrew shout-out to Shiba Kosedo, lone Progressive Phoenix and Artisan, for showing off another side of the family.

Isawa: Gonna violate my own "more rank and file" request to say "Isawa Shunryu." He's the one member of the current council no one I know seems too angry/frustrated with, and while, yeah, he's basically Aang in terms of his story, it's a good one, and Rokugan is a lot harsher than the world of Avatar. Watching him grow up among the Elemental Council could be either tragic or heroic, depending on which way you wanted to take it. He's also, quite simply, the only Phoenix leader I think has anywhere to go but down.

Vanity demands I request Taisho show up, although he's really not headed into aspace that would make for too much interesting fiction... Nao's got a far better story there...

Otherwise, getting back to the Rank and File as presented in the CCG?
Isawa Ikariya's fury as stated in his flavor text would make a nice contrast to Clan stereotypes.

Isawa Kouka's one scene so far was more about her yojimbo Myoushi doing his duty awesomely- and I'd like to see her reacting to his matter of fact selfless heroism.

Nairuko's tied up in the mess with the Unicorn and has some development, so she's got some fans...

There's my Phoenix list.

Other Clans?

Crab: Renyu, because I absolutely despise him. I loathe that character from top to bottom... which, as I understand it, is almost exactly what he's there for. Also, after Winter Court, watching a Shadow-weakened Kuni Tomokazu joining the Isawa could be... fun. And Tono's actions in all of their shifty, carp-slimed glory deserve a look.

Crane: Ehhhhhhhh. The past few years have left me bloated on Crane samurai I care increasingly less about just because they always seem to turn up. Wouldn't mind seeing some more non-scout Daidoji getting some love. More Iron Crane, less Harrier Lite. I could go a very long time without ever seeing a Doji Courtier in fiction again. Any and all of the Winter Court characters, obviously, but otherwise... the Crane generally enjoy a lot of time in the story, at least since I've been following it.

Dragon: Noboru. Much like Renyu, I hate him a fun way. Otherwise... the Dragon haven't really visibly been up to much of late, not since Ichizo died after killing Hiruma Nikaru. Like Phoenix, they're in a sort of space where you may as well just grab cards whose art and flavor text you enjoy and build them up.

Lion: Winter Court high-fiving demands I say Ikoma Aimi. The courtier who snagged in-Clan Ishiken training for the Lion and who just about everyone found easy to talk to. A Lion who understands both Honor and Courtly Nuance, at least a little.They need more of those. Despite her rather frothy letter, I still like Dairuko (perhaps because she, unlike Tsumaro, has had multiple appearances to build some affection for her). Annnnnnnnd, uh... nope, moving on.

Mantis: Any non-Yoritomo acting like a non-Yoritomo. The new Moshi daimyo gives me hope. For a Clan of such varied origins and traditions, they really haven't been allowed to how that variety off within living memory.

Scorpion: Eh. Nao's "marry into another Clan to spy on them/pull strings from within" has some potential for a one-off, especially if her own personal unhappiness in the name of her Duty gets brought up. Otherwise... Bayushi Miaka. :mrgreen:

Spider: More Susumu. More Gyushi. More Daigotsu bushi, both Tainted and Untainted. These are the areas where I feel the Clan has room to show off both its growing pains and its growth. As for the Monks (Order of the Spider/Order of Venom)... they've been kinda one-note throughout their existence, so anything to shake that up you can come up with.

Unicorn: Moto Khedai and his ex-Kolat informant bride, because if she really thinks the Kolat are just going to let her go, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell her. Ripe for tragedy there. Like to see more of Naleesh, if only to see if Taisho's theory (which he passed along to Chiwa and mentioned to Khedai and Wattu) is at all correct.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:47 am 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

Shi-Tien Yen-Wang wrote:

See specific characters? There are a few (I think you already know one that I would rather like to see regularly ;) )... but I'd rather have effectively developed plots where Spider characters can be (anti-heroic) protagonists or good allies to the protagonists and not just antagonists or enemies.

Quote:

Foolish monster you do not eat stories. You make stories and we eat them. Now get back in the kitchen, we are hungry!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:42 am 
Crane Envoy to The Spider

I assume you've seen the list of unanswered story prizes? Any one of those.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:44 am 
Dark Scribe

kakita_shiro wrote:
I assume you've seen the list of unanswered story prizes? Any one of those.

They did and they told us that they're going to resolve them sooner or later.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:20 am 
Daigotsu's Legion

I'll post the big one I've got, though I'm also looking forward to winter court fictions:

What happened to Hiruma Todori?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next