Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hand & Max - Story Team Questions
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:49 pm 
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:37 pm 
Cultist

First post here. I'm an old and retired horde player. I'm now more a collector than a player to be true. But i have to admit i had a real blast collecting those dark virtues and dark paragons ! I saw that lots of players seems to love Shimekiri but i came here to ask for more info on another Paragon : Moto Yuudai. We know quite nothing on him : http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Moto_Yuudai. Is he still alive and well ? Will we saw him in the future ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:34 am 
Daigotsu's Legion

Audax wrote:
But there was no fiction that showed the handing over of the Hantei sword.

^This.

Waiting for this to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:38 am 
Dark Rhetoric

Seppun Kyosuta wrote:
Audax wrote:

^This.

i wouldn't hold your breath. its canon, but its both a) in the past and b) not directly related to whats going on presently. unless theres some tie to the current storyline (maybe if we actually get stewardship of Otosan Uchi it would come up), i think thats pretty low on the story team's todo list.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:15 am 
<< Your Title Here >> <<< Ask Me How >>>

They just need to have Kanpeki show up to an official meeting in the capital with it, and then have a major show of handing it to special keepers so he doesn't carry it in court (you just don't hand that over to a sword polisher ..... pun kinda intended..). Then everyone would know he had it, and could wield it, and what that meant. A very passive aggressive way for him to make people aware.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:29 am 
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan

This is one of those good reasons for the Spider to save the Hantei sword. I still think it's one of the more important spider icons.

The fact that Kanpeki is Hantei is a fascinating aspect of the story that I always feel needs fleshing out.

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:41 am 
Daigotsu's Legion

Couldn't agree more.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:43 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

I have an actual question for once.

Komori Taruko is one of the most played characters of the whole arc. All shugenja decks (except Koiso Sensei's ones, for obvious reasons) love her, and even a few others include her for a quantity of reasons. She is the never tired, cheap, all powerful, magician/priest/lobbyist girl.

Yet, her wiki's page is quite short.

Is there some plan to expand her background, or is this a case of game and story segregation?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:42 pm 
Dark Scribe

I have a Story Team question!

While talking about the possibilities of Goju and Ninube characters who are more than mere drones, I have remembered a similar discussion about new such possibilities with regards to the new Taint. We haven't seen much about it outside of Winter Court IV.

What's the actual policy on Tainted characters now? Are they all shipped to the Colonies or only Tainted Spiders? Are all Tainted to join the Spider or be killed? Is Jade Petal Tea still used? Before the new Taint, being Tainted wasn't unlawful, only hidding it from the authorities was. Has this changed?

I ask because I think it problematic to have all Tainted gather in only one clan. Having them all exiled to the Colonies seems restrictive enough for storytelling already.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:32 pm 
Alleged Scorpion Fanboy

Alright, let me try to catch up on a few things.

Quote:
First post here. I'm an old and retired horde player. I'm now more a collector than a player to be true. But i have to admit i had a real blast collecting those dark virtues and dark paragons ! I saw that lots of players seems to love Shimekiri but i came here to ask for more info on another Paragon : Moto Yuudai. We know quite nothing on him : http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Moto_Yuudai. Is he still alive and well ? Will we saw him in the future ?

Like many characters of the past, Yuudai has yet to receive an epilogue to his story. I don't know of any plans to bring him back, but you never know - anything is possible with the Taint.

Quote:
Audax wrote:

^This.

So many fictions to write, so little time. But I'll try to keep this in mind!

Quote:
I have an actual question for once.

Komori Taruko is one of the most played characters of the whole arc. All shugenja decks (except Koiso Sensei's ones, for obvious reasons) love her, and even a few others include her for a quantity of reasons. She is the never tired, cheap, all powerful, magician/priest/lobbyist girl.

Yet, her wiki's page is quite short.

Is there some plan to expand her background, or is this a case of game and story segregation?

Pretty much. We don't have much info on which cards get or don't get played. Minor Clans or unaligned characters have even less of a chance to get noticed.

That being said! You'll notice the latest Scenes from the Empire had a Hare Clan samurai. Robert Denton has also announced that he will include a Bat in his novel. And the Bat is my favorite Minor Clan (which I have written the chapter for in Secrets of the Empire.) So there is hope!

Quote:
I have a Story Team question!

While talking about the possibilities of Goju and Ninube characters who are more than mere drones, I have remembered a similar discussion about new such possibilities with regards to the new Taint. We haven't seen much about it outside of Winter Court IV.

What's the actual policy on Tainted characters now? Are they all shipped to the Colonies or only Tainted Spiders? Are all Tainted to join the Spider or be killed? Is Jade Petal Tea still used? Before the new Taint, being Tainted wasn't unlawful, only hidding it from the authorities was. Has this changed?

I ask because I think it problematic to have all Tainted gather in only one clan. Having them all exiled to the Colonies seems restrictive enough for storytelling already.

What possibilities? The nature of the Taint hasn't changed (again.) Maybe I'm just misremembering because I wrote it myself, but doesn't the Book of Earth cover most of these questions?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:42 pm 
Alleged Scorpion Fanboy

Zarasu wrote:
Going forward, what will make the Spider a coherent aspect of the setting? Their role as perpetual pariahs stretching the borders of social acceptance is a given but what do you want to do with the established foundation of roughly 30 years of story time? What will help make the Spider clan not just functional, but sensical as a unit of culture and society that to many seem antithetical to the very ideas of culture and society?

That's unfortunately up in the air, both due to upcoming developments and due to some stuff we're still working on. Stay tuned!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:59 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

Daigotsu Max wrote:
Zarasu wrote:
Going forward, what will make the Spider a coherent aspect of the setting? Their role as perpetual pariahs stretching the borders of social acceptance is a given but what do you want to do with the established foundation of roughly 30 years of story time? What will help make the Spider clan not just functional, but sensical as a unit of culture and society that to many seem antithetical to the very ideas of culture and society?

That's unfortunately up in the air, both due to upcoming developments and due to some stuff we're still working on. Stay tuned!

Calling it now, Susumu Yuna is writing the first draft of what will eventually become "Godzilla"; the story of a terrible Oni crawling out of the Sea of Shadows, stomping over the Carpenter Wall, laying waste to the Crab and Scorpion lands before finally being stopped by a noble Spider ex-Phoenix shugenja armed with the Blood of the Preserver.

The play would eventually get banned by everyone except the Spider, for some weird reason.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:44 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

I find this eerily close to what I think may actually happen. Wouldn't be the first time The Spider saved the Empire by punching another hole in it.... lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:21 am 
Daigotsu's Legion

Daimyo Project wrote:
... Although not Tainted, Kanpeki's training with the Seppun and the Order of the Spider has made him into a terrific warrior...

YES!
YES!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:29 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

Have you glossed Kanpeki's RPG stats? There's clearly some embellishing going on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:24 pm 
Dark Scribe

I've another question that's cross-posted from the Q&A thread about the Onyx Choices at AEG's. Maybe you guys are faster with answering them. ;)

Quote:
The Onyx Path choices are explicitely meant to pit certain clans against one another. How do they relate to outstanding kotei prizes of the 2014 season?

Dan Dineen started the voting of who would become a Fortune or Shrine Guardian, and stopped them in the middle without all clans voting. More importantly, many clans won a hostage to foster from another clan. These hostages, as promised by prize write-up, enforce peace between the two involved clans.

The Spider also won a hostage and are waiting to vote on the target clan. Since this prize (and other clans' hostage prizes) probably doesn't invalidate Path Choices, will it resolve in the announced time jump?

And can you already announce when the paused voting process will continue?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:32 pm 
Dark Scribe

I have another question after reading Thunderous Acclaim 1 (no fear, I'll leave my critique of this fiction in the relevant threads). Apparently there is a split between Shibatsu loyal Spider and Kanpeki loyal Spider, and this was heralded during the competition between Seiken and Shibatsu already. But how will this affect the three (?) focus characters?

Obviously, we need to see how Path vote ends, but if the Spider (or any other clan) ends up with two groups, one of the renegades or at least the minority, will they get a focus character to keep them in the story regularly? Or do you rather want to focus on characters closer to the stereotype and renegades are too much at the periphery for this? I ask because I can see how Susumu Shibatsu would be a great example of a Spider courtier, but if a tainty path is chosen, pure Spider might not be the stereotype anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:06 am 
Obsidian Magistrate

We'll reevaluate focus characters as we go along. A lot depends on the paths chosen.

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:32 pm 
Dark Scribe

Shi-Tien Yen-Wang wrote:
We'll reevaluate focus characters as we go along. A lot depends on the paths chosen.

Thanks Chris! Do you also happen to know more about the hostage votes and how they relate to the Path Choices? I cannot imagine that, for instance, the Crab choosing to fight the Spider would be invalidated by the Spider players voting to foster a Crab daimyo's child and ensure peace until his or her gempukku. But, of course, I don't want to see the hostage prizes being ignored or cut short, only because the votes will only be concluded after the Paths are already chosen.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:15 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

Honestly, I think it would be better to have Dan Dineen jump in and answer that one.

I wasn't behind-the-scenes for those votes and only know secondhand knowledge.

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:12 am 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

Back to the subject of Focus Characters for each Clan:

Do you think that this might be something which would become a Tournament prize, as per the GenCon Draft Prizes this year? Or could it be the result of an Imperial Assembly vote?

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

Susumu Naishi in Winter Court 4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:12 am 
Alleged Scorpion Fanboy

sndwurks wrote:
Back to the subject of Focus Characters for each Clan:

Do you think that this might be something which would become a Tournament prize, as per the GenCon Draft Prizes this year? Or could it be the result of an Imperial Assembly vote?

At the moment I don't think so, because part of why those focus characters were picked was to establish 'threads' that the CCG could work around, up until Onyx.

That doesn't mean they are set in stone, or that we won't add more (or that we won't write about other characters!!!) but those two characters per Clan will remain the same, at least for a while (as Chris said, they'll be reviewed down the line)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:56 pm 
Dark Scribe

Shi-Tien Yen-Wang wrote:
Honestly, I think it would be better to have Dan Dineen jump in and answer that one.

The question was answered by AEG on their forums recently. Due to technical issues the voting was stopped. But it will continue and when it does, AEG will make sure that the results make sense. So I presume that they won't clash with the Onyx path choices.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:50 pm 
Black Guard

Please please please lie to me at the least and say the lone Gyushi siding with the Susumu light folks is Kageto?!?

"I am now officially in awe of Kageto's player for such an awesome quirk on our shuggiesmiths."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:19 pm 
Alleged Scorpion Fanboy

Gyushi Kageto wrote:
Please please please lie to me at the least and say the lone Gyushi siding with the Susumu light folks is Kageto?!?

It is :)

(Or am I lying?)

J/k. It is. That's what I had in mind when I wrote the story, at least.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next