Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: News from the floor of GenCon
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:43 pm 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

Getting ready for the L5R 20th Anniversary here, but I do have some news.

The Hands of the Sun and Moon Draft tournament has been won. Black Scroll Pod 2 (Top 8) was won by Mantis, choosing the Obsidian Hand, and 2nd place was Lion, getting the Jade Hand visit. Black Scroll Pod 6 (Top 9-16) was ongoing when I left.

Only one Black Scroll is confirmed. Victory for Shapeshifting (Pod 6) is to Rokugan. Everything else has been 1 victory each of Rokugan and Jigoku, though I have the unconfirmed rumor that one Scroll has been won by Jigoku.

The opening fiction from the RPG event takes place one year in the future of the current storyline, and features the conquest of the Unicorn lands by the forces of Jigoku and the Spider Clan. It also features the very likely death of Moto Naleesh, though she was not dead as of the end of the story, merely severely wounded with the Lords of Death unwilling to heal her. They are confirmed as stating Rokugan has been abandoned by Tengoku for having made a deal with Jigoku, and this is its due punishment.

And now, I am off!

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

Susumu Naishi in Winter Court 4

Post subject: Re: News from the floor of GenCon
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:02 pm 
Dark Rhetoric

From the 20th anniversary: no fancy pants announcements but we apparently can expects news regarding both the ccg AND the rpg (which was a surprise to me) in the next 3-4 weeks. That was from zinser's speech

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:00 am 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

More unconfirmed rumors from the 20th Anniversary party:
- There will likely be an Obsidian Empire supplement for the RPG.
- Dark Divination and Doom of Fu Leng has been won for Jigoku. Shapeshifting (confirmed) and Return of the Fallen Lord have been won for Rokugan. Black Wind from the Soul and the 12th Black Scroll are both split at 1 win each.
- The news for Onyx Edition and the Naga got cut for a more staggered roll out to build anticipation.
- Heroes of Rokugan is doing a one year campaign where you can literally play anything. They have stated that this will be the ONLY time you will ever be able to play Spider Clan.

Little side rant: The antagonism I have received from the HoR players over simply wearing pro-Spider clothing? Is honestly the worst I have ever received. Like, I have received less antagonism at Winter Court IV from the Lion and Crab players than I have just speaking with those guys. Is this just me, or is this everyone? Like any good Spider, I revel in a good friendly rivalry, but this did not have the usual friendliness that most L5R players have. WCIV Alumni are not included in this, as they have been universally awesome.

There was a raffle for the Day of Thunder banners at the party, and the ones which were not picked will be taken to the European Championships this year.

Picked:
- Lion
- Unicorn
- Mantis
- Crane

NOT picked:
- Yogo Junzo's Army!

Also, seriously... so. much. Thunderous Acclaim cards.

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:11 am 
Dark Scribe

Main event finals (Phoenix vs Mantis) are streamed here: http://www.twitch.tv/6thring

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:33 am 
Dark Scribe

Isaac Cynova (Mantis) wins against James Matthews (Phoenix), 2:0. Rumour is that he wants to choose Yoritomo Ichido and use the Black Scroll on Yoritomo no Kami. No confirmation on the story choice, though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:47 am 
Dark Scribe

Issac just confirmed his story choice. He wants an ambitious Yoritomo on a quest to godhood and hence take out the bigger bastard, Yoritomo himself, out first.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:54 am 
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan

According to Facebook Andrew Narzynski has secured The Doom of Fu Leng for the Spider with his recent Junzo win.

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:06 pm 
Black Guard

Audax wrote:
Issac just confirmed his story choice. He wants an ambitious Yoritomo on a quest to godhood and hence take out the bigger bastard, Yoritomo himself, out first.

Yep, they are worthy of Shourido indeed...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:33 pm 
Dark Scribe

Does anyone have more info on the Siege prizes? What are the Spider (or a Great Clan) going to do with a secured Black Scroll? It cannot using it against an enemy, because that's the prize of the main event.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:52 pm 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

Fresh from the Story Team document, though things will likely be better collated in the future. This is from my phone, fresh from the convention center.

Doom of Fu Leng - Jigoku
Dark Divination - Jigoku
The 12th Black Scroll - Mantis
Black Wind from the Soul - Mantis
Return of the Fallen Lord - Crane
Shapeshifting - Crab

Realm-Born: Unicorn and either Mantis or Crane (needed to confirm)

No single Scroll went 3-0.

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:50 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

Was good to see you at Gencon; for those interested the final deciding action that defeated Fu Leng for the black scroll: Black wind from the Soul was The Price of Shame; in a battle where FuLeng with one action killed two Toturi and three fox/mantis.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:03 pm 
Crane Envoy to The Spider

Yeah, Fu Leng has an absolutely brutal ability. Very eager to play him when the set is released.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:45 am 
Obsidian Magistrate

I would like to see an iron citadel win for jijoku... That would be great, I'm tired of DH decks lol

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:53 am 
Obsidian Magistrate

I feel like you guys could have gotten a Moto Tsume and not be crazy overpowered.

As it is, I'm considering running 4 of the uniques in my Dragon deck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:24 am 
Daigotsu's Legion

The cards in the Junzo deck aren't legal for the same reasons they weren't legal in the Dark Naga deck:

Make them legal and people pilfer the decks/sell the singles on eBay. By leaving the siege deck contents not legal, it ensures the decks remain intact so you can simply pull it out any time anyone wants to play - even, say, 20 years from now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:02 am 
Paragon of Dark Virtue

taikishi wrote:
The cards in the Junzo deck aren't legal for the same reasons they weren't legal in the Dark Naga deck:

Make them legal and people pilfer the decks/sell the singles on eBay. By leaving the siege deck contents not legal, it ensures the decks remain intact so you can simply pull it out any time anyone wants to play - even, say, 20 years from now.

Sadly, this does not answer why the Promo card was not a Spider-friendly card, or why Akodo Godaigo (you know, the undead member of Toturi's Army) wasn't given a new version.

It is also a rather weak argument in terms of economics. If I buy Siege: Clan War, why should it matter what I do with those cards? Why CAN'T I take it apart and sell its singles on eBay? Why shouldn't I? They are my cards. I say this, having cannibalized my second Siege: Heart of Darkness deck to make a Heart of the Shinomen Forest Open format Naga deck. And there is NOTHING wrong with doing that.

Senior RPG Contributor
Cardboard Republic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:56 pm 
Dark Rhetoric

taikishi wrote:

This holds absolutely zero water with me. The exact same logic could be applied to the other decks yet they are full of not just legal cards but fucking chase rares! No that's a frankly bullshit excuse. I understand why they made the game. It's a classic moment in the games history, and perfect for this type of format. I even get why that meant we got completely fucked at gencon as a consequence. But not making a single damn thing in it legal for us when everyone else got toys? That's simply bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:48 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion
 WWW  Profile

daigotsu cielago wrote:
taikishi wrote:

This holds absolutely zero water with me. The exact same logic could be applied to the other decks yet they are full of not just legal cards but fucking chase rares!

The same logic does not apply to the Rokugan decks. You can take apart the Rokugan decks and still play Siege, because you're specifically allowed to play any random deck against the Siege deck. You take the Siege deck apart, and you can't play it at all.

That doesn't mean that you have to agree with the reasoning on the Siege deck. But it is inaccurate to assert that the same reasoning applies to the other three decks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:45 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

The contents of the siege deck are not immutable. I would even say that the contents of the siege deck would probably even need to be changed depending on the arc the player decks are constructed with or require a very extensive banned list. Whether the siege cards are legal in the current environment or not is irrelevant to them being pulled from the deck. People play other formats beyond what is officially supported by AEG. Playgroups decide what format they play and what rule set they play by including home-brew/house rules.

Due to the unknown nature of future cards and possible rule changes the siege deck may indeed be unplayable unless you keep the other decks intact. We know that power levels fluctuate. Factions may even come and go on a regular basis or crop up as a 1-time deal. The intent and desire of the company does not translate to consumer use. There's no user agreement, terms of service, or danger if the cards aren't used as intended. I would also guess that Siege: Clan Wars, if profitable, will not be the last set in the Siege line. Trying to "protect" the content integrity is beyond the scope and ability of any company. I would think that an effort to see the product as widely used as possible would be the more favorable outcome. There is no sanctity that needs to be preserved by trying to convince people they need to abide by design intent.

"All is not lost unless, it is unmade."