Shinden Fu Leng

Bow before us, or fall before us
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dragon steal the City of the Lost
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:59 am 
Dark Scribe

The winner of the Vancouver kotei has chosen the City of the Lost as prize for the Dragon, because he opposes corruption.

With the kotei season ending soon, I hope that we get awesome stories out of other clans stealing or saving Spider icons. And I hope that AEG keep the promises made in Sheffield at Worlds that clan loyalty would be rewarded in the story even if your faction sucks in the CCG.

Now both the stolen Hantei Sword and th City of the Lost are both Horde history not very important to the Spider, despite them being icons according to AEG's list. Shourido saved to bring Mantis and Spider together has more potential, especially sine the Mantis get a similar redemption story like the Spider in Celestial, hopefully better executed. I'm also eager to see what the defiled Yoritomo shrine (Spider's only win so far) entails. Granted, I'm blank as to what story ramifications we see. It's a Jigoku prize rather than a Spider one in the CCG, after all.

Post subject: Re: Dragon steal the City of the Lost
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:02 pm 
Unique Nothing

Quote:
Legends said that Fu Leng met his siblings and requested to duel Hantei to see who was the true ruler of Rokugan. During the Tournament of the Kami the Dark Kami had not been participated so he claimed his right to challenge the winner. Hantei ordered Togashi to champion him, and as the side challenged he could decide the weapon to be used in the duel. The most secluded of the Kami choose that all lives in rokugan would be his weapon. Since that moment the war began.
- Bearers of Jade, pp. 124-125

Guess capturing the Temple of the Ninth Kami somewhat a blow in their little duel...
But not counting this legend, if you opposes corruption, taking a whole city in the heart of the Shadowlands (with such nice little places like the TufTuf sake house, Kokujin's home, Daigotsu's palace, the great temple of Fu Leng, the Chuda Temple and the Shadow Dragon's "home/dojo")... well... kind of strange. :shock:
(Like the Crane path, to "escape" to the colonies, and the jungels... to our home field, and undead legions...)
The last Dragon ambassador from the empire ended up with 8 legs...
The City is not good for the health... like the Hantei sword, i guess its kinda cursed "price"

Oooooooor, when Kanpeki become Emperor, the Dragons will offer the whole (Jade decorated?) city to welcome their new tainted overlords...

Strange times indeed.... with strange choices

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:17 pm 
Dark Scribe

The Story Team will make the loss of the Sword and the City count, everything ekse would be disappointing. But without us currently only winning one kotei, they surely will make that one count, too.

What corrupting Yoritomo's shrine will entail, I have no idea, though. What do the Spider do with an oni-infested shrine, that's on some isle?

So go forth and conquer - and win some more kotei! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:00 pm 
You don't expect anything, then...BOOM! NINJAS!

I'd really like to see the posts stop about clans stealing icons. Nobody steals icons. There isn't an option to steal icons. So please stop saying that icons are being stolen.

What the Dragon did was save the City of the Lost. That's it. That is all they can do. The only thing clans can do (outside of Spider) is save icons.

Cheers! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:42 pm 
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan

Agree with sparks here. We haven't lost anything with this, if anything Dragon is going to lose from this in the long run.

But it would be interesting to see the story for this and the sword.

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:00 pm 
Sparks wrote:
I'd really like to see the posts stop about clans stealing icons. Nobody steals icons. There isn't an option to steal icons. So please stop saying that icons are being stolen.

What the Dragon did was save the City of the Lost. That's it. That is all they can do. The only thing clans can do (outside of Spider) is save icons.

I don't think it's that cut and dry. The AEG page uses the phrase "Taken from the (faction)", not saved by.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:37 pm 
Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider Clan

D'JarvisNeckbeardIII wrote:
Sparks wrote:

I don't think it's that cut and dry. The AEG page uses the phrase "Taken from the (faction)", not saved by.

Which time though? they have described "saving antagonistically" multiple times and each one was different in terms of how that actually means.

"There is only ONE emperor worthy of the right to rule, I will never cease till he takes his rightful place"

Played Ide Doburu at the 2014 Winter Court.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:39 pm 
http://www.l5r.com/spring-kotei-2015-darkness-horizon/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:20 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

Posted by Togashi Rogi on the Dragon forums in regards to his/her choice of the City of the Lost...

"I am very much resolved that the empire shall never belong to the darkness as long as a single Dragon remains to defend. Think of it as a promise; even if the Thunders were dead and the Empire failed we'd still try to win. As proof of my resolve, I shall burn the City of the Lost to the ground. The blaze will serve as a beacon to light Lord Hoshi's way home, the ashes will serve as a reminder of the Dragon's purpose. In the words of our Kami Togashi "I am here to show them you can bleed."

Link to the thread...

http://thedragonclan.net/index.php?topic=2114.0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:42 pm 
You don't expect anything, then...BOOM! NINJAS!

Blindfish wrote:
Posted by Togashi Rogi on the Dragon forums in regards to his/her choice of the City of the Lost...

"I am very much resolved that the empire shall never belong to the darkness as long as a single Dragon remains to defend. Think of it as a promise; even if the Thunders were dead and the Empire failed we'd still try to win. As proof of my resolve, I shall burn the City of the Lost to the ground. The blaze will serve as a beacon to light Lord Hoshi's way home, the ashes will serve as a reminder of the Dragon's purpose. In the words of our Kami Togashi "I am here to show them you can bleed."

Link to the thread...

http://thedragonclan.net/index.php?topic=2114.0

Very amusing. It's a shame all he gets to do is save it by the terms of the icon choices. No burning, no destroying it. No stealing it. They saved it. That is all. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:12 pm 
Dark Scribe

Yes, it is saved, but we need to wait for the story to see what actually happens. When the Mantis "saved" the Traitors' Grove (taken from the Scorpion in a hostile fashion), they kidnapped its spirit and rendered it useless for the Scorpion. When they "stole" the Bitter Lies Technique the Scorpion granted them the service of this elite unit. All we know is that a "stolen" City of the Lost won't be used by the Spider in Onyx, but by the Dragon. If it allows a Dragon variant of CrOni in the CCG remains to be seen.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:38 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

We could remodel it with the latest in jade fixtures.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:52 pm 
Dark Scribe

Of course, but why would the Dragon? They would need eternal jade of the kind that was created when Yakamo, Lord Sun, died. We'll see what the Dragon make of it. The kotei fictions are set before the Obsidian Empire, after all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:11 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

I'm anticipating graffiti along the lines of "Dragons Rule, Spider Drool" scrawled across the various walls of the city by the young rascals.

Since the whole "March of Kanpeki" hasn't really happened yet, the idea for this to be a strike against the "Traitorous Spiders" seems like an unlikely story direction. I suspect something more along the lines of a group of Dragon explorers stumbling across the city and finding something left behind by the Spider. I mean, there really isn't much reason for Dragons to be wondering around the Shadowlands...right? Maybe they'll find a new way to tattoo their monks within the ruins. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:40 pm 
Blindfish wrote:
I'm anticipating graffiti along the lines of "Dragons Rule, Spider Drool" scrawled across the various walls of the city by the young rascals.

Since the whole "March of Kanpeki" hasn't really happened yet, the idea for this to be a strike against the "Traitorous Spiders" seems like an unlikely story direction. I suspect something more along the lines of a group of Dragon explorers stumbling across the city and finding something left behind by the Spider. I mean, there really isn't much reason for Dragons to be wondering around the Shadowlands...right? Maybe they'll find a new way to tattoo their monks within the ruins. :twisted:

Maybe because, ya know, it's a story prize. Trying to hand wave or hijack any result that doesn't fit into the Spider are teh bestest even if meant in jest(which is very hard for some to determine on the Internet), only serves to feed into the F$@k Spider and their plot armor campaigns. You're already the only faction that gets its own "special" story pick options. Don't be that guy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:40 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

D'JarvisNeckbeardIII wrote:
Maybe because, ya know, it's a story prize. Trying to hand wave or hijack any result that doesn't fit into the Spider are teh bestest even if meant in jest(which is very hard for some to determine on the Internet), only serves to feed into the F$@k Spider and their plot armor campaigns. You're already the only faction that gets its own "special" story pick options. Don't be that guy.

I keep reading your post over and over again, and though I now get the sarcastic nature of the first part of your post, I'm lost on the last part. Are you saying that Dragon are getting a special story pick option, or are you referring to Spider? Is "Don't be that guy." referring to what the Dragon player picked, or what I wrote?

If you thought I was poking fun at Dragon for the tattooing technique being stolen, I was not. I was thinking of tainted Dragon monks myself, or some other lost art that would make Dragon stronger...but also draw them closer to Spider.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:04 pm 
The "special" story pick I was referring to in this case, is that ONLY the Spider have a 3rd option of prize outcomes(corrupt an icon). No other faction gets to do that.

The don't be that guy wasn't mean to single just you out. Your post just happened to be the proverbial straw in a long line of story/prize threads where someone(s) come up with the idea that because the story involves the Spider, the other person should get tainted, or that additional consequences or options be available. No one likes poison pill prizes. It can't nor shouldn't be an "even when we lose, we still win" type scenario. I assume that the tainted monks, DrOni decks, and numerous other jokes that pop up in these kinds of threads sound fun. But when taken from an outside(not primary spider) perspective often puts forth an air of entitlement.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:16 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

Ahhh, I see. You were referring to the AEG choice to allow Spider to corrupt icons, playing into their plans for Onyx.

This had been my first post in a couple of weeks. I had taken a couple of weeks off from reading the forums (other than previews) because I was tired of reading all of the negative comments concerning Spider and how we "Spoil the setting" on other clan boards. How most clans have a plan on putting Spider back in its place and how they will be the shining heroes to stomp out the tainted clan for good.

Which I realized is their thing, at least for some of them. That is why they play the clans they play. The same could be said for Spider players, some of them picked Spider because they like the idea of corrupting stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:29 pm 
Oh no doubt. Reading threads about most anything on the Internet gets ridiculous quickly. More so when a degree of loyalty to a team or faction is involved. I can completely understand how wearying it can be to slog through a mile of muck just to keep up to date.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:20 pm 
A Corrupted Soul

Glad this Thread was here. Now, I can find the winner for my bounty.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:20 pm 
Obsidian Magistrate

We're in yo' base, killin' yo' dudes! :) At least it wasn't empty and you got to kill some Dragons back.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:28 pm 
Daigotsu's Legion

And by save they meant destroy. Puts an end to that conversation. Definitely antagonistic but far from "saved".

"All is not lost unless, it is unmade."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:44 pm 
Scholar of the Yobanjin

Since the icons are being "saved" from the onrushing tide of Jigoku, the Spider's were always going to be a weird place. A Tainted city in the Shadowlands isn't exactly in a position to have much to fear from a Daigotsu-ruled Jigoku's triumph.